Olympic Stadiums Gallery

Tatsh

My favourite main Olympic stadiums are:

1. Berlin Olympic Stadium (Germany) - I love the new-classic architectural style. The beautiful stonework adds an ancient,, yet timeless quality to it.

2.Munich Olympic Stadium (Germany) - The futuristic lattice roof and seating bowl carved into the ground was incredible back in 72 and is still incredible to this day.

2. Athens Olympic stadium (Greece) - Even before Calatrava added a roof, this was a beautiful stadium built in the classic two tear model. The sweeping roof is a work of art and compliments the existing structure.

In truth, all the stadiums have been good. They all absolutely served their purposes. Atlanta's stadium, whilst not as outlandish as some of the others in terms of architecture, was still a great stadium which converted into a baseball arena - hence it never became a burden to Atlanta.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post Oaky, and I like your top 3, which I'd probably go along with (although Berlin has a grotesqueness to it because of its history as well which makes it very interesting).

Good post Oaky, and I like your top 3, which I'd probably go along with (although Berlin has a grotesqueness to it because of its history as well which makes it very interesting).

Yeah, Berlin's Olympic stadium does have a rather prominent history. I think that adds something the stadium though. The renovation with the added roof is really beautiful aswell and so takes the stadium into the 21st century.

Agreed. I've never seen a city with so much old architecture with modern additions as I have in Berlin. It's such a fascinating place and the stadium as it is now couldn't really be anywhere else in the world.

I did like Athens Olympic stadium and I liked the whole style of the Athens Olympic park. The skeletal structures by Calatrava reflected the light and it embraced the whole Mediterranean theme.

Munich's venues are easily the most organic stadiums in terms of how they are integrated into the Olympic park.

I have a soft spot for Montreals stadium aswell. It was such an ambitious stadium and says something of the way people in the 70's viewed the future. I love the futuristic aspect to the design.

LA has a cool stadium too. The Colosseum is beautiful and when set up in athletics mode the arena does feel very Olympic. I think the grand neo-classic/art deco styling of the bottom end archway does mimic ancient arenas and so gives the place a 'sacred' feel.

The birds nest is an incredible feat of engineering. I like it from the outside and the tier system is beautiful. But my gripe with the stadium has always been the huge over hang of the roof when viewed from the inside. It is so thick and heavy and dominating. The stadium was meant to have a retractable roof but that was scrapped due to costs and I don't know if that is why the roof looks the way it does.

I think that seouls stadium was very modern and rethreshing especially being in between the historiacal stadium of la and barcelona. Atlanta was very clever, in that although its stadium was not architectularly nice, it served its purpose for the games and now serves its purpose for baseball, instead of them having this huge stadium not doing anything, which alot of cities fall into.

Archived