Olympic Stadiums Gallery

Tatsh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I do like the Nagano design, but its just very... concrete looking.

Salt Lake and Calgary are very similar and nothing special. Liked how Salt Lake did the Athletes stand and the torch though. It was better at Lillehammer when the flame was actually in a competition venue though.

I do like the Nagano design, but its just very... concrete looking.

Salt Lake and Calgary are very similar and nothing special. Liked how Salt Lake did the Athletes stand and the torch though. It was better at Lillehammer when the flame was actually in a competition venue though.

Of the last 12 Winter Games, it looks like only two (Innsbruck and Lillehammer, both at their ski-jumping venues) held their OCs at a competition venue. So having the cauldron at a non-competition stadium, actually fulfills a Ceremonial need and IOC dictum.

actually fulfills a Ceremonial need and IOC dictum.

Don't know quite what you mean by that! I don't have a strong view on whether the cauldron is at a competition venue or not - but its much much better if it is at a comp venue.

Of the last 12 Winter Games, it looks like only two (Innsbruck and Lillehammer, both at their ski-jumping venues) held their OCs at a competition venue. So having the cauldron at a non-competition stadium, actually fulfills a Ceremonial need and IOC dictum.

Which IOC dictum?

Actually, also the opening ceremony of Sapporo 1972 took place at a competition venue, the Makomanai Speed Skating Rink.

Which IOC dictum?

Actually, also the opening ceremony of Sapporo 1972 took place at a competition venue, the Makomanai Speed Skating Rink.

We've been thru this before....the IOC dictum that there will be cauldron to be lit at the main stadium of the Opening Ceremony, and it must be located where most of the stadium spectators can witness the lighting AND to make it visible to the residents of the host city...in so many words.

I remember about Sapporo after I posted that.

So, from an IOC vantage point, there's no problem with Rio having the torch at the football venue, even though only one gold medal will be awarded there. Meanwhile, for the first time the athletics will take place without a torch in sight. I guess theoretically there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't sit well with me.

So, from an IOC vantage point, there's no problem with Rio having the torch at the football venue, even though only one gold medal will be awarded there. Meanwhile, for the first time the athletics will take place without a torch in sight. I guess theoretically there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't sit well with me.
i agree. the opening and closing ceremonies should be held in the track and field stadium not some other stadium. this is not the winter olympics wherein the main stadium is just used for opening and closing ceremonies.

It is almost always going to be rare for the Winter Games to have the flame at a competition venue because the competition venues are generally smaller and the ceremonies have larger requirements. Since speed skating moved indoors and since larger cities have been winning bids, it just isn't going to happen that often. Unless they invent iceball or some large stadium-worthy sport.

• 3 months later...

As much as I've defended the Atlanta games on this board, I have to say I didn't really like the stadium. While the brick exterior was nice, reminiscent of turn-of-the-century Atlanta, it was just sooooooo bluntly obvious that it was going to become a baseball stadium with how the south-west corner is configured to be behind home plate and there's dramatically less seating in the north end of the stadium. Once the games were over, it was torn up and given to the Braves who haven't been able to win a World Series since and now pretty much suck. :wacko:

I didn't like the Bird's Nest at first, but over time the design grew on me. I really like how the Germans have kept the stadium in Berlin. It's been modernized, but still retains its classic Olympic appeal.

As much as I've defended the Atlanta games on this board, I have to say I didn't really like the stadium. While the brick exterior was nice, reminiscent of turn-of-the-century Atlanta, it was just sooooooo bluntly obvious that it was going to become a baseball stadium with how the south-west corner is configured to be behind home plate and there's dramatically less seating in the north end of the stadium. Once the games were over, it was torn up and given to the Braves who haven't been able to win a World Series since and now pretty much suck. :wacko:

well, they NEVER tried to disguise as it anything else. Duh!

I like the brick exterior and rigth angles...it is so American. It is what it is; nothing else.

Archived