Olympic Stadiums Gallery

Tatsh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Athens' is probably the most beautiful from the inside though I never much liked it from the inside. Barcelon's is the best from the outside shots.

Putting London's in is not quite fair as it's only a rendering; it may look 100 times worse or 100 times better than that. A good design imho (not spectacular) but it certainly has the potenial to create one of the greatest atmospheres known at a SOGs.

Beijing's still doesn't do it for me, it's ugly, sorry!

Seeing them all lined up like that, I'd say there are ALL different. Each one was home to its own (set of) Games and gave those Games its distinct feel and style.

I've only actually been to the LA, Barcelona and Atlanta stadia. However, the Seoul stadium has a beautiful and understated symmetry that that picture does not show.

But of ALL post-war Olympic stadia -- and strictly from an architectural POV, it would still have to be: 1. Munich; 2. Beijing and 3. Montreal.

Munich, Montreal, Athens and Barcelona are my favorite. That's in random order.

For the Winter olympics, I'd have to say Nagano and Torino

Berlin Stadium now is very pretty but still not part of my top 4.

The Nest hasn't been finished. But i do dont like the design of the Nest.

And the director of Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony Zhang Yimou said that when we stand in the place out of the stadium we will feel the Nest is a grand building, BUT,when we stand inside the Nest, i have to say that the Nest make people have feeling of oppression.

Zhang Yimou will try his best to make up for a deficiency. Water Cube is outstanding.

Sydney 2000

Athens 2004(water on the ground is good looking)

• 7 months later...
I love Athens'. It's only a roof, but it looked gorgeous during those ceremonies.

And Montreal's is such a monstrosity.

Agree with you about Montreal. that architecture is so ugly, just awful in my opinion. I really really hate it.

Athens? Don't get the fascination with the arches, I didn't think there was anything great about them.

My favorite? Beijing, but your mileage may vary!

• 2 weeks later...
Any person with a trained eye for architectural aesthetics would probably go with Munich's first, Beijing's second and Athens' third.

It's all a matter of taste. I don't like Munich at all, nor Montreal. Montreal is rather hideous in my opinion, yet others love it.

Munich has to be the best so far a modern innovative design that embraced two more olympic venues into the design.

even 36 years on it still looks fresh

barcelona is second for me

and finally, and maybe controversially, the helsinki stadium. It is still in use and it is a design from it's era. I think it's beautiful

Montreal's is not that hideous. During the games, yes it was a hideous concrete "shell", but with post games exterior painting and such, it has improved it somewhat. Nonetheless, the interior is a hideous concrete shell.

It's the most hideous stadium I've ever seen. And Munich? It's so ugly. I mean I really hate it. On the other hand, I love the Birds Nest.

It is all personal taste. Subjective.

Athens is an interesting case. It is really just a concrete bowl. But add a fancy roof from a star-chitect, and voila! something interesting. But in 1997, while it had good symmetry, it was nothing special at all.

Olympic_Stadium_Athens.jpg

Archived