• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the Mountain bike venue today in sunny Essex. Its gonna be pretty spectacular. The course is in Hadleigh Country Park which is right next to Hadleigh Castle. Most of the course is closed off

I won a competition to do a photo expedition of the olympic park and go into the velodrome a week Saturday as part of the Open Weekend. Did anyone else enter and win?

Great video, loving the sculptured parkland areas too, its gonna be breathtaking. There was a great piece on the one show tonight filmed mainly from the stadium perspective and it was a really positi

London 2012 venue for rowing, canoe sprint ready

LONDON (AP) — Organizers say the venue for the rowing and canoe sprint events at the 2012 London Olympics has been completed.

Construction work was required to upgrade the facilities at the Eton College Rowing Center at Dorney Lake near Windsor, west of London.

The Olympic Delivery Authority announced Thursday that it is the second venue to be completed after the sailing facilities were finished two years ago.

ODA chief executive David Higgins says "completion of another 2012 venue on time and on budget is an important milestone in what is our toughest year in the project."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-05-27-1016594303_x.htm

Keith Watt has taken some really interesting close-ups of the London venues. Very artistic:

4655789688_3420cb1173_o.jpg

Stadium tier

4655789684_a632fd166e_o.jpg

Stadium lighting

4651819955_cbe5095f7c_o.jpg

Stadium roof #1

4651819947_9f5881e0b0_o.jpg

Stadium roof #2

4651819951_67c78f7292_o.jpg

Stadium roof #3

4655789692_525bc5163d_o.jpg

Basketbal arena

Exactly. The ones right behind the aquatics centre, on the other hand, are part of the large Westfield development.

And to the left of the village you can see the frame of the basket ball arena with its back walls clad in white, and to the left of that the velodrome.

Wow, I didnt realise it was that compact. Olympic stadium, Aquatic centre, BBall, Velodrome and Village all in one shot. Do you know what is going in place of the Bball stadium when its brought down? Green space?

What is the building in between the aquatic centre and athlete village btw?

That is, I think, the Westfield Stratford City development - a large shopping centre (an Ozzie invasion) ;)

And yes, green space will replace the basketball arena after 2012. Interestintgly, the possibility emerged last week that Rio 2016 may buy the arena.

I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but it's worth reposting I think. A good map to give you an idea of what everything is in the photos:

olympicparkmaptf8.gif

Edited by RobH

The Summer Exhibition starts at The Royal Academy in London on Monday. As well as art they display architectural models. There will be at least 1, 2012 model there. It is a part of the velodrome and it looks like a model I have never seen images of. Im hoping there will be a few more there but anyone interested should go take a look if u are in London and fancy some culture.

The Summer Exhibition starts at The Royal Academy in London on Monday. As well as art they display architectural models. There will be at least 1, 2012 model there. It is a part of the velodrome and it looks like a model I have never seen images of. Im hoping there will be a few more there but anyone interested should go take a look if u are in London and fancy some culture.

I go to the Summer Exhibition at the RA every year - it's usually an amazing event. It opens to the public tomorrow, but as a Friend of the Academy I was able to see it today.

There is only one small architectural model of part of the Velodrome - it's okay but not worth visiting.

The Summer Exhibition itself is a huge disappointment this year - previous years have included several breath-taking pieces - but this year there wasn't a single one that caught my attention - in fact there seemed to be far fewer things to look at anyway.

I found this on another forum. I'm still trying to establish where it came from (it's probably from the middle of one of the dozens of publications the ODA has produced), but I thought it was quite a nice map showing the venues with all the seating in orange in the park:

That's 154,000 seats right there:

49113769.jpg

Edited by RobH

Another forum? HOW DARE YOU stray from GamesBids!!! :P

154,00 seats! Well no doubt they have planned relevant traffic flow and transport options to be able to handle peak periods. Someone was critical that Australia's FIFA bid could not work with the MCG and AAMI Park (if it met standards) because of the large traffic in a small space. This is the same scenario but im sure it would work out well.

Nice map RobH, if you could find the source that would be great because it would be interesting to see the other venue layouts in this form!

I found this on another forum. I'm still trying to establish where it came from (it's probably from the middle of one of the dozens of publications the ODA has produced), but I thought it was quite a nice map showing the venues with all the seating in orange in the park:

That's 154,000 seats right there:

49113769.jpg

its from the other forum link I posted from the Orbit tower planning application............ :P

Full planning application available.

Its wonderful! Intimate, well designed, simple, elegant. A great example of good design even on a shoestring budget!

In a way it acts as a "third wing" to the Aquatic Centre. A similar mesh treatment to the facade of the temporary seating at the entrance would be great, and adding some colour to the staircases and temporary internal structure would add some excitement to the approach to the venue.

Its great how the best seating arrangement, separating general access from accredited areas has resulted in an architecturally strong overall form of the venue and roof.

Water Polo