Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the Mountain bike venue today in sunny Essex. Its gonna be pretty spectacular. The course is in Hadleigh Country Park which is right next to Hadleigh Castle. Most of the course is closed off but in the below pics taken from the castle you can see a section snaking down the hill in the distance. It should be great for spectators as its quite open. This hill sweeps down to the Thames below and with the castle in the distance it should be pretty stunning.

dsc01524rz.jpg

dsc01541.jpg

A section on a woodland path

dsc01532w.jpg

Finally the view across the river and the Castle

dsc01534b.jpg

dsc01527ee.jpg

Hockey players will compete on blue pitches for the first time ever at an Olympic Games following an announcement from the London 2012 Organising Committee today.

Traditionally hockey is played on a green surface but Locog have approved the move to blue, which should provide a striking contrast with the white ball and pitch markings.

In a further break with the tradition, the pitch run off areas will be coloured pink, to offer what Locog describe as a "striking and dynamic look" to the Hockey Centre.

The venue, which is a temporary stadium based at the northern end of the Olympic Park, will be completed in the spring of 2012. The main pitch will host all the 76 matches played between July 29 and August 11.

Team GB hockey international Alex Danson was involved in the colour testing and backed Locog's decision to go with blue.

"The London Blue pitch is great," she said. "It provides a really strong contrast for players against the white ball and white lines and I quickly adapted to the change.

"I really like the pink surround as well. It's another great example of hockey's willingness to lead the way and try new things. It will certainly make the sport stand out in 2012."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/8410959/London-2012-Olympics-Hockey-Centre-pitches-will-be-blue-Locog-announces.html

Hockey_Render_Pitc_1858535b.jpg

I think I like that colours, even though it will be strange to watch on TV :P

And, yeah, with the track and the hockey colours the brand is starting to play its role at the Games. However, I have to say I like the Olympic Stadium more than the hockey fields - hockey colours are nice but a bit loud, on the other hand, the orange and black from the stadium are just perfect, IMO.

Do we think they may add colouring to the water in the pool, yellow maybe ; )

As long as it's not yellow, red or green, which would make the water look like other disgusting things, I won't mind. But I think the pool will stay with its classical light blue.

I went to the Mountain bike venue today in sunny Essex. Its gonna be pretty spectacular. The course is in Hadleigh Country Park which is right next to Hadleigh Castle. Most of the course is closed off but in the below pics taken from the castle you can see a section snaking down the hill in the distance. It should be great for spectators as its quite open. This hill sweeps down to the Thames below and with the castle in the distance it should be pretty stunning.

dsc01524rz.jpg

dsc01541.jpg

A section on a woodland path

dsc01532w.jpg

Finally the view across the river and the Castle

dsc01534b.jpg

dsc01527ee.jpg

Nice pictures , you can walk our for miles when the tide is out, across flat sand in the Thames estuary, and the sea still looks miles away, probably not advisable though as I’m sure the tide comes in pretty fast here,

The Thames estuary is prey spectacular though.

Hockey players will compete on blue pitches for the first time ever at an Olympic Games following an announcement from the London 2012 Organising Committee today.

Traditionally hockey is played on a green surface but Locog have approved the move to blue, which should provide a striking contrast with the white ball and pitch markings.

In a further break with the tradition, the pitch run off areas will be coloured pink, to offer what Locog describe as a "striking and dynamic look" to the Hockey Centre.

The venue, which is a temporary stadium based at the northern end of the Olympic Park, will be completed in the spring of 2012. The main pitch will host all the 76 matches played between July 29 and August 11.

Team GB hockey international Alex Danson was involved in the colour testing and backed Locog's decision to go with blue.

"The London Blue pitch is great," she said. "It provides a really strong contrast for players against the white ball and white lines and I quickly adapted to the change.

"I really like the pink surround as well. It's another great example of hockey's willingness to lead the way and try new things. It will certainly make the sport stand out in 2012."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/8410959/London-2012-Olympics-Hockey-Centre-pitches-will-be-blue-Locog-announces.html

Hockey_Render_Pitc_1858535b.jpg

think the pink and blue is awesome - not keen about the stadium itself but it is only temporary!

I visited the Olympic park today , the Orbit tower is the same height it was when I was there a few weeks ago , but I imagine they are doing ground work around it for the complex task of constructing the loopy bits,begins.

From the Olympic park I walked along the canal to three mills island where the lea splits in two

I notice the work on Three mills Green is coming along very well.

From there I walked along the canal that leads to lime house and walked all the way to the Lime house basin, and I have to say it is a sensational canal side walk which leads strait to the historic river side pubs at lime house where the view of the Thames is just breathtaking.

The river rises up dramatically to the window sills when the tide is in, (apparently I was told it sometimes spills inside the pub) I also saw gannets eating whole eels alive on the foreshore I’ve never seen that before and you cant get any more London than that, just as long as it doesn’t put you off you pie and mash,

I can most highly recommend this walk .

I’m still not sure how the walk form the Olympic park to Trinity buoy wharf, which is the mouth of the lea is coming along, I will have to check that out next time.

I visited the Olympic park today , the Orbit tower is the same height it was when I was there a few weeks ago , but I imagine they are doing ground work around it for the complex task of constructing the loopy bits,begins.

From the Olympic park I walked along the canal to three mills island where the lea splits in two

I notice the work on Three mills Green is coming along very well.

From there I walked along the canal that leads to lime house and walked all the way to the Lime house basin, and I have to say it is a sensational canal side walk which leads strait to the historic river side pubs at lime house where the view of the Thames is just breathtaking.

The river rises up dramatically to the window sills when the tide is in, (apparently I was told it sometimes spills inside the pub) I also saw gannets eating whole eels alive on the foreshore I’ve never seen that before and you cant get any more London than that, just as long as it doesn’t put you off you pie and mash,

I can most highly recommend this walk .

I’m still not sure how the walk form the Olympic park to Trinity buoy wharf, which is the mouth of the lea is coming along, I will have to check that out next time.

I think they were Cormorants eating the eels

Archived