Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

Back to the beach volleyball venue, I've just read this:

The venue will have to be built quickly as the parade ground will be a focal point of celebrations to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee six weeks beforehand.

That's going to be a quick build! I assume, since it's temporary, they'll probably set it up somewhere else beforehand - a big field somewhere - to test the logistics of it since there's really not going to be a lot of time for testing it in situ prior to the Games!

Not necessary. Its temporary seating. You can put it up in 2 weeks. www.nussli.com

The additional services will just be installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Olympic Village is not yet finished, but the 500-acre site has been included as complete in the latest version of the London A to Z.

It shows the main stadium, the aquatics centre, velodrome, basketball arena and all other areas in a fascinating insight into how the land near Stratford, East London, will be transformed. The Olympic Development Authority said: "The construction will be completed next summer, a year before the Games begin. It is an encouraging sign of this progress that the Olympic Park is now being referred to on maps.

image-1-629354794.jpg

"We are not complacent as there is still a lot of hard work to be done." Sports fan Sam Williams, 33, from South London, added: "It makes the Olympics seem all the more real because it is finally appearing in the A to Z."

Stratford regional rail station has also been updated for the latest edition and Stratford International is featured.

In 2008, the A to Z map showed the site as an empty space.

Back then, the ODA had just cleared the former industrial site. Norman Dennison, boss of Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd, said: "It is a real honour for us to be able to feature the entire Olympic Park for the first time."

Link

I still think it is a lost opportunity to upgrade the street scapes of whitechapel and tell the story of the east end and put the east end into context with the rest of London. I don't think that their are embarrassed per se about this part of London - just that tv has won the day and the tv networks have got their way at the expense of tower hamlets. It will still be a great event but it really is a missed opportunity!

I’m glad the marathon isn’t going to end in the stadium ,and I’m not surprised, but it’s a shame they haven’t spread the rout further west, passed the Victoria and Albert memorial,

The area around the Olympic park is incredibly fascinating but as Iv walked around it I think it would have been a marathon night mere.

The Olympic Village is not yet finished, but the 500-acre site has been included as complete in the latest version of the London A to Z.

It shows the main stadium, the aquatics centre, velodrome, basketball arena and all other areas in a fascinating insight into how the land near Stratford, East London, will be transformed. The Olympic Development Authority said: "The construction will be completed next summer, a year before the Games begin. It is an encouraging sign of this progress that the Olympic Park is now being referred to on maps.

image-1-629354794.jpg

"We are not complacent as there is still a lot of hard work to be done." Sports fan Sam Williams, 33, from South London, added: "It makes the Olympics seem all the more real because it is finally appearing in the A to Z."

Stratford regional rail station has also been updated for the latest edition and Stratford International is featured.

In 2008, the A to Z map showed the site as an empty space.

Back then, the ODA had just cleared the former industrial site. Norman Dennison, boss of Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd, said: "It is a real honour for us to be able to feature the entire Olympic Park for the first time."

Link

Just wish Google Earth would update their photo!

• 2 weeks later...

so how far is the new Oly complex from ole Willie's so-called home or birthplace?

You seem to confuse Stratford-upon-Thames (the part of London where the Olympic Park is situated) with Stratford-upon-Avon (William Shakespeare's birthplace). The latter is in the West Midlands, about 100 miles away from London.

Sorry, I believe it's only "Stratford" (not "Stratford-upon-Thames") for London's Stratford.

You seem to confuse Stratford-upon-Thames (the part of London where the Olympic Park is situated) with Stratford-upon-Avon (William Shakespeare's birthplace). The latter is in the West Midlands, about 100 miles away from London.

Sorry, I believe it's only "Stratford" (not "Stratford-upon-Thames") for London's Stratford.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am sure I will not be the ONLY one making that mistake as 2012 approaches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Olympic Park set for cycling, diving & BMX test events

Two of the most iconic venues at London's Olympic Park are set to open with high-profile test events in 2012.

The Velodrome is in line to stage a leg of the Track Cycling World Cup early in the year before the Aquatics Centre figures in the diving World Cup series.

The events should give cyclist Sir Chris Hoy and diver Tom Daley a taste of the venues in which they hope to compete for Great Britain at the Games.

The BMX circuit is to host part of the 2011 BMX Supercross World Cup.

According to British Cycling's website, this will take place on 19-20 August.

And it will provide world champion Shanaze Reade with a prime opportunity to experience her home course just less than a year before the Olympics.

Reade, 22, was hot favourite to win BMX gold at the 2008 Games in Beijing but crashed out in a dramatic women's final.

The 400m circuit will be located next to the Velodrome in the north of the Olympic Park.

The Velodrome itself will have a permanent capacity of 6,000 and a non-competitive event will be held there in the coming weeks to mark the completion of construction...

The London organising committee (Locog) plans to confirm the test event dates later in February.

Link

I took these pictures at the Victoria docks where the Sward fencing will be helt At the excel center.

Excel center and Millenium mill

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/5436958823_0b2d042819_b.jpg

Victoris docks by the entrance to The Ecel center

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/5436960231_43f406b2bc_b.jpg

Royal Victoria docks from bridgs outside the Excel Center.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5436960635_fe23a9001d_b.jpg

Archived