Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why are they wrapping the Basketball Arena and this venue in plain white. Wouldn't it be more interesting if the wrap had a design similar to the Olympic logo scattered across it, making it look like colourful broken glass - would be more eye-catching :huh:

I don't understand why are they wrapping the Basketball Arena and this venue in plain white. Wouldn't it be more interesting if the wrap had a design similar to the Olympic logo scattered across it, making it look like colourful broken glass - would be more eye-catching :huh:

Given they're both temporary venues, perhaps keeping it as simple as possible will make the materials easier to re-use....and cheaper.

Theres quite a nice construction video at the bottom of this page showing the inside of the velodrome and different basketball arena angles. The scary moving tree half way through is also a highlight : )

http://www.building.co.uk/comment/2012-countdown-it-starts-here-…/5002047.article

great video - thanks for sharing! god - this really is going to be the most memorable event to happen to our country in modern times - we will do the olympic movement proud ! cant't believe it will be ready next year!

ps - loved the moving tree lol! should be a theme to go along with wenlock and mandeville!

This article is available for registered users only :(

Ah, just clicked on it again..

You have reached this page because you have viewed your 30-day allowance of 1 free article without registration.

Stingy bastards or what?! One free article a month! :lol:

As per the Water Polo planning documents, the white roof is simply indicative. The architects have provided a palette of various colour options for the roof fabric.

Ah, that's interesting. Which document are the range of colour options in?

Why have a seperate venue for water polo? Why not hold all the aquatics events in the new aquatic center?

Acquatic CentRE

;)

Why have a seperate venue for water polo? Why not hold all the aquatics events in the new aquatic center?

Aquatic Centre.

I made a mistake in my correction... ooops!

This is a bit exciting

London 2012 venues set to be served by cable car

Sunday, 04 July 2010

July 4 - Plans for a new £25 million River Thames crossing using a cable car system have been unveiled by Transport for London between the O2 formerly the Dome and The Excel centre

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9964:london-2012-venues-set-to-be-served-by-cable-car&catid=84:london-2012-news&Itemid=89

This is a bit exciting

London 2012 venues set to be served by cable car

Sunday, 04 July 2010

July 4 - Plans for a new £25 million River Thames crossing using a cable car system have been unveiled by Transport for London between the O2 formerly the Dome and The Excel centre

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9964:london-2012-venues-set-to-be-served-by-cable-car&catid=84:london-2012-news&Itemid=89

An ambitious but expensive plan, or is it financed by private companies?

News on the latest costings:

One thing your Lotters already paid for is the sailing venue in Weymouth. Props to England for the foresight to build a proper venue well in advance of the bid. I was there in competition for the first time in 1996, and the town was wonderful. I visited the future site that the sailing venue now stands, in fact we staged there. It was not much to look at back then, but a new state of the art facility that boasts one of the best in the world now stands. If we can manage to win our own trials, we'll see you there.

Folks seem to forget- sailing was one of the original sports all the way back to the first modern olympics, and currently supports 11 medal disciplins. US, GBR, and AUS were some of the all time greats, but now virtually every country on the planet has a legitimate shot at a "yachting" medal as ISAF and IOC have done a great job transitioning into economically forgiving classes that are accessable to nearly anyone who can afford a basic car.

Hats off the GRB for selecting a venue for Sailing that suits- I have sailed in and around London and quite simply, it left a lot to be desired. Weymouth on the other hand and the new sailing center is truly world class. I wish the same could be said for Atlanta (Savannah) or the mistake in Quindago. I wish more organisers would realize the importance and heratidge os sailing in the games.

If you want to see serious,

Check out www.isaf.org

www.470.org

London Olympic venues 'will be finished early and under budget'

David Higgins, chief executive of the Olympic Delivery Authority, says projects will be completed with £850m to spare

The man charged with building London's 2012 Olympic venues has vowed to have them finished early and with £850m to spare as the project enters its final stages.

David Higgins, the chief executive of the Olympic Delivery Authority, made the predictions in an interview with the Guardian in which he also defended his salary.

The surprisingly intimate main stadium, the subject of a review by the Olympic Park Legacy Company to determine its post-2012 use – with a joint West Ham FC/Newham council bid and one from the O2's owner, AEG, among the options – has been designed to remain at 80,000 seats or be reduced to 55,000 or 25,000 afterwards.

With just over two years until the Olympic flame is lit on 27 July 2012, the main stadium is nearly finished, with 6,400 of the 80,000 seats installed. The other venues are not far behind.

Higgins said that the major venues would be ready for handover well before the target of next summer.

On completion, they will be handed over to the organising committee, chaired by Lord Coe, which will then make them ready for the Olympics and conduct a series of test events.

The athletes' village would also be finished well ahead of the target of January 2012, he said.

"You can see a skyline and a landscape that works. The unsung hero of the venues is the velodrome, which is efficient and startling," he said.

A big-name sprinter will run in the stadium for the first time later this month on a 60-metre running track to tie in with the two-year milestone. The final track will be laid next year.

Higgins said the project was entering the final straight, with 10 new milestones for the next year due to be published on Thursday.

Link

Archived