Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who can a trip to the top gallery at St. Pauls cathedral gives you a great view of the construction site and also brings the location of the park, relative to the rest of London, into perspective. I'm really impressed with the pace of construction, great to see things coming together.

• 1 month later...

Got it bookmarked. I tend to go to it most days to see if you've put anything new there.

Just having a look at your latest posts now in fact. That media centre really needs to be decorated well during Games time to break up its blandness and make it blend into the scenery a bit more. Hopefully it'll have a green-roof as well, so it doesn't stick out so much in the aerial shots. It says it'll have a 2500msq "living roof", though I don't know what that means. Any ideas? Did they mention that on the tour?

How did you get on the bus tour btw?

Any London resident can apply for the bus tour - its fun. The guide was nice and knowledgeable. A blue badge guide so good at guiding but not an Olympic expert. Most fun was seeing the venues and infrastructure up close. Things like the bridges, Velodrome, Energy Centre, Aquatics Centre and MBC particularly.

Glad you like the updates - more to follow this week.

On the MBC roof - nothing mentioned but I expect the will turf it - or something like the Salt Lake Conference Centre.

I've just been digging around since my last post and found this:

"The Media Centre, the 24-hour hub for about 20,000 journalists, will include a “brown roof” of gravel and moss (it’s being called a “living roof”), bird and bat boxes, and a combined heating and cooling plant."

And it says on the official 2012 site that it'll be 2500sqm, so only 50x50m, so certainly not the whole thing.

Brown roofs

---------

Anyway, bit geeky all of that. Was everything as you expected close-up? What were you most and least impressed by at this stage?

Impressed by how quickly everything is going up and how organised everything seems to be. Also velodrome looks awesome. Not really disappointed about anything really - the MBC will need tarting up to look cool but otherwise rest of the venues look very good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In what sense?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's only been in the past few days than any structural seems to have been constructed on the basketball site. Excuse my ignorance, but on the webcams, I have only seen the dug-out ground.

Archived