Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

By the way, there are many more documents to do with the stadium under the associated documents tab here:

http://planning.london2012.com/publicacces...o=K0LTMFSZK0000

are there any renderings of the aquatic centre, like the ones shown for the main stadium?

Lots here Michelle:

http://planning.london2012.com/publicacces...o=JV1JT0SZM0000

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that oda planning website is a maze...think ive sort of found a way to find the important stuff but nothing on the velodrome or handball arena or eton manor yet.

eton manor would fall under hackney ( so search for reports for hackney until eton manor appears when its added)

...adjustments to the aquatic centre or olympic stadium or any venue that has a final design falls under reserved matters.

also search for documents received between recent dates to see whats new and whats been added.

If I remember correctly, isn't the handball arena intended as a temporary structure?

Handball arena is permanent and being designed by MAKE; after the Games it will be turned into a multi-purpose sports arena.

Knowing MAKE, it could be the most iconic-not-meant-to-be-iconic venue so far!

The basketball arena is temporary, which has been moved to the former site of the fencing arena in the northern end of the park, whilst fencing has been moved to Excel.

I can't see them changing the design that drastically now as the building work has started. Anyway, unless West Ham want a stadium which is half demountable and which relies on pods for food, toilets etc. then I don't think the Olympic Stadium is right for them. It's a great solution for a month of sport, but for a permanent tenant who wants more than 20-30k seats, it's not right.

I would have thought that, but if any Mayor was likely to be receptive to such a move, I suspect Boris would be.

This goes to prove how out of touch Boris is with this Olympic project, not understanding its aims nor its legacy. It's simply an excuse to get rid of the stadium from public hands as quick as possible regardless of its future.

I expect at some point he will ask the stadium bowl be filled in and sold off for housing.

Talk about a win-win-win situation.

All OCOG has to pay for is the venue overlay, temporary seating etc. and rental costs. Better venue, lower costs, less risk. It would have been dumb to not move fencing to this venue. Location alongside the water...etc. etc. It has 32,500sqm. You need a max of 8,000 sqm to stage fencing including training areas and spectator circulation.

Fencing: London 2012

fencing3.jpg

fencing1.jpg

fencing2.jpg

It was a great decision, and it makes a lot of sense. Why would you spend money on a temporary venue when you already have one that is perfectly capable of the same in place?

It is indeed a good decision.

What I still don't and I guess will never understand is why fencing was not planned at the Excel from the beginning since the ExCel has always been here.

I want to ask Seb is it true that the velodrome will no longer have its stunning wooden roof as it will be now made from steel. Im a bit upset about that because it being such a nice organic shape made sense to be natural looking while still being very contemporary. Im not sure a steel version will be as nice although Im reserving judgement til I see pics.

I want to ask Seb is it true that the velodrome will no longer have its stunning wooden roof as it will be now made from steel. Im a bit upset about that because it being such a nice organic shape made sense to be natural looking while still being very contemporary. Im not sure a steel version will be as nice although Im reserving judgement til I see pics.

oh god no - hadn't heard about that! where did you hear that? that is a real pisser as it seems to me that most of the venues are being dumbed down and at this rate will look like some sort of industrial estate tarted up for the games!

i understand the need to watch cost but we also need to ensure that the quality of the buildings don't suffer too much!

2012 Velodrome set to ditch timber roof

23 May 2008

By Will Hurst

Hopes that the London 2012 Olympics might be a beacon for the use of sustainable wood could be dashed after it emerged that the Hopkins-designed Velodrome is set to boast a steel roof rather than a timber one as originally planned.

Pro-timber lobbyists, including the Wood for Gold campaign and Labour MP Paddy Tipping, have called on the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to increase its use of wood for venues, arguing that this is a key way to achieve a low-carbon footprint.

But BD has learnt that proposals for a largely timber Velodrome — a project won by Hopkins Architects and Expedition Engineering last year ahead of rivals including David Chipperfield, Flacq and Foreign Office Architects — are under threat due to cost pressures.

The news follows widespread reports that the ODA considered but then rejected the use of timber for Zaha Hadid’s Aquatics Centre roof.

Although the Velodrome’s preferred contractor ISG has not yet been formally appointed, a review is under way of all materials on the £80 million scheme, which could see its “Pringle-shaped” roof built of steel, and increased use of steel and concrete in the structure below, including the seating bowl.

Tipping, who is chairman of the All-Party Group for Forestry, last week put forward an early day motion calling for at least one Olympic venue to demonstrate innovative use of wood, and called on the ODA to rethink its plans.

“I’m keen these are the most sustainable Olympics ever, and demonstrate the use of wood because it’s an exciting, flexible and sustainable material,” he said.

Wood for Gold chairman Craig White said the possibility of not using timber for the venue was “hugely disappointing”, and warned that it could endanger the games’ green legacy.

“The two obvious candidate projects for wood were the Aquatics Centre and the Velodrome,” he said. “If the decision to switch from timber is based on cost only, we would suggest the overreliance on steel and concrete for all of the major buildings will become a cost risk in itself. The huge demand for steel and concrete is rising continuously — as are their costs. The cost for large-span timber structures remains stable.

“Wood’s environmental credentials are second to none. To not hold on to the environmental agenda for the games will prove to be a mistake, and the promised legacy will be diminished.”

An ODA spokesperson said: “Final decisions about the use of materials for the Velodrome have not yet been made, but we are working closely with Hopkins to ensure timber remains an integral part of the design.

“Detailed designs are now being further developed following thorough consultation with the architectural community, where the plans have been praised by senior figures at Cabe, the RIBA and Design for London.”

It is indeed a good decision.

What I still don't and I guess will never understand is why fencing was not planned at the Excel from the beginning since the ExCel has always been here.

The expansion to be used for Fencing was not confirmed at the time of the bid.

2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

The Exel centre is just ok ,It a bit of an airport hanger of a space.

Alexandra Palace would have been better.

Fencing is used to this kind of places. It serves the purpose.

Grand Palais was proposed in Paris 2008 bid (and will be the site for the 2010 World Champs).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived