Could Singapore's Win Affect Tokyo 2016?

Soaring

Could Singapore's win NEGATIVELY affect Tokyo's 2016 chances? Just thought I would raise this question to see what you all think. I think having Beijing 2008, then this vote for Singapore 2010 could maybe make IOC members think Asia is seeing too much action. It is early to say whether a YOG affects SOG decisions, but one could assume a reason why Moscow lost is because of Sochi 2014. Of course one is a country the other is a continent, but a connection can be made nonetheless.

What do you think?

Hmmm. I'm unconvinced. We still really don't have any agreement about whether the winter games hosting results affect the summer games bids. And I still think the YOGs will be a distant third in profile behind the two senior games.

Still, as we've said many times before, every single vote counts, and if this gives just one IOC member the idea that they've already done Asia its share of favours lately, well, it will have an effect.

It will have very little affect -if any. It would be more likely for Vancouver 2010 to influence the prospects for Chicago 2016 as it is a much bigger event, however, this won't have much affect either really. The only continent with little chance of being awarded the 2016 Games is Europe.

Although they might be in the same continent Singapore and Tokyo really are in different leagues. When the IOC thinks Asia, the think SEA, Middle East, India/Pakistan, Japan, Mainland China+Central Asia. Maybe had Busan bid and won Tokyo's chances may have been slightly affected but not by Singapore no.

well yes.

As I said here ( in a post in another thread): Singapore's selection to host the 2010 YOG also signifies that the IOC likes to spead things around, i.e., not giving it to Moscow since Russia had already won 2014 for Sochi in Guatemala last summer. So I don't think Rio should fool itself into thinking that 2014 will NOT be a big impediment to their 2016 ambitiions. IOC members have already said that 2014 coming before 2016 is NOT very promising.

So it could very well be an indication that in a decade Asia might have its full share of the IOC products: 2008 - Beijing, 2010- Singapore, and certainly PyongChang will line up for 2018 -- so that'll squeeze Tokyo out for 2016.

well yes.

As I said here ( in a post in another thread): Singapore's selection to host the 2010 YOG also signifies that the IOC likes to spead things around, i.e., not giving it to Moscow since Russia had already won 2014 for Sochi in Guatemala last summer. So I don't think Rio should fool itself into thinking that 2014 will NOT be a big impediment to their 2016 ambitiions. IOC members have already said that 2014 coming before 2016 is NOT very promising.

So it could very well be an indication that in a decade Asia might have its full share of the IOC products: 2008 - Beijing, 2010- Singapore, and certainly PyongChang will line up for 2018 -- so that'll squeeze Tokyo out for 2016.

You mention the fact that Moscow lost out because another city in Russia already was awarded a Winter Olympics. What you failed to do is mention that it's totally different since these are bidding cities from the same country.

If Osaka bid and won these YOG, then obviously Tokyo's chances at the 2016 SOG would be diminished.

Singapore's win won't have much effect on Tokyo's bid.

I think Beijing will have much more of an effect. By October next year the spectacle of a massive Olympics in Asia will be deeply embedded in every IOC members' mind. That could work either way for Tokyo.

The future YOGs will not have anywhere near the same effect as fresh memories of a Chinese megalympics.

I think Beijing will have much more of an effect. By October next year the spectacle of a massive Olympics in Asia will be deeply embedded in every IOC members' mind. That could work either way for Tokyo.

The future YOGs will not have anywhere near the same effect as fresh memories of a Chinese megalympics.

Agreed, but IOC members are notoriously inconsistent on this one, including the IOC itself. The Moscow bid team cited their selection as a finalist by the IOC as evidence that IOC dosent find it a problem having the Olympics held in the same country within 4 years!

The effect of Singapore hosting 2010 YOG will probably have a very minor effect on Tokyo chances compared to Beijing hosting 2008.

Besides, the Japanese are very well aware of the situation and, as Troy mentioned, will go all the way out to win these Games.

PS: Baron, stop using the "new frontier" card when you support Chicago at the same time ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I still think YOG and OG are different. I really hope that they are two different systerms for people to consider.

About Beijing 2008, it still not a problrm for Tokyo i think. 2010 2012 2014 are all in America and Europe, so Beijing 2008 is not a problem.

About 2010 SYOG and 2012 WYOG are still in differet systerm to consider i hope.

What r u talking about jeremie? When I did ever make mention of both in the same sentence? I don't recall doing that. :blink:

I am not saying that you mentioned it in the same sentence. I was just stating that saying that the IOC is seeking new frontier and using it against Tokyo is a little rich coming from a Chicago supporter.

Well, perhaps Jer. But on a city-by-city basis, Tokyo *has* already hosted, whereas Chicago has not. So not quite exactly the same parallel that you're trying to draw.

I am not "trying to draw" any parallel.

Yea Tokyo has already hosted and Chicago has not.

Still, IF (and that's a big IF) Rio is among the candidate cities (and who knows, even Doha), then the novelty certainly won't be on Chicago's side.

Well, your statement to Baron appeared otherwise.

But anyway, perhaps Rio would have the novelty, but Doha, not really. Even you yourself (and you're even putting Doha in parenthesis here) & Rol as well, has said on these forums, that Doha may have the technical merit to make the short-list, but certainly wouldn't win.

I for one, would love to see Rio make the S.L., & maybe actually win it. But I certainly wouldn't wanna see Tokyo host it again over the two continental American cities that haven't had the big IOC party.

For Chr*st sake.

I have only stated the obvious: for a Chicago supporter to dismiss Tokyo because it's lacking the novelty factor could backfire!

I never said Tokyo would be a novelty and never implied it.

And, whether Doha has a chance to win or not is irrelevant. Organise a poll: Doha Vs Chicago, where is the novelty? No brainer. Does that mean that Doha should win over Chicago? Of course not.

Archived