Singapore is now the smallest country to play host to an Olympics.

Okay, it's not an OLYMPICS OLYMPICS, like the Summer or Winter elite ones...

...but it's presented by the International Olympic Committee, so it's close enough. :-)

One thing that worries me how many medals Singapore will get on home soil . We have not won a medal since Rome 1960 although I am expecting 1 in Beijing . I think Sailing , Badminton , Athletics and maybe Soccer would somewhat a good chance in bagging medals on home soil .

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres another boost for Singapore. It will host the 1st Asian Youth Games next year.

Asian Youth Games: Singapore to host eight sports in 2009 Games

By Tan Yo-Hinn, TODAY | Posted: 24 June 2008 0621 hrs

SINGAPORE: In slightly over a year's time, Singapore will host the inaugural Asian Youth Games.

On Monday, the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) confirmed the Games will feature eight sports - track and field, bowling, beach volleyball, three-on-three basketball, sailing, shooting, swimming and diving, and table tennis. It will be held from July 2-9.

The SSC and Ministry of Education (MOE) will spearhead the organising of the Games, which will be used to help Singapore prepare for the inaugural Youth Olympic Games, which it will host from August 14-26, 2010.

The Asian Youth Games' opening ceremony will be held in conjunction with the Singapore Youth Festival.

Further details will be announced soon, but it is believed the organising committee and majority of the manpower to stage the Asian Youth Games will come from the SSC and MOE.

Hosting the Asian Youth Games was part of Singapore's bid plan submitted to the International Olympic Committee when the Republic was bidding to stage the Youth Olympics.

Many, if not all of the Olympic Council of Asia's 45 member nations are expected to compete in the Games. - TODAY

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions :

* will there be a flame relay ? from where ? Olympia ? through where ?

* how will the winners be called : Youth Olympic Champions ? will there be medals, mascots - I know there will be a logo

* what will be the difference with the Olympic Games for sports such as gymnastics, where the Olympic Champions fall in the same 14-18 age category ? will that amount to have the OG every two years for these sports ?

* what is the expected media coverage ?

I have a few questions :

* will there be a flame relay ? from where ? Olympia ? through where ?

There will be a relay. The details are still under discussion but the Flame will most likely be lighted in Olympia.

However, expect a "small scale" relay.

* what will be the difference with the Olympic Games for sports such as gymnastics, where the Olympic Champions fall in the same 14-18 age category ? will that amount to have the OG every two years for these sports ?

Excellent question that was discussed at length in Beijing during the Games. Truth is, no one knows at the time.

* what is the expected media coverage ?

Pretty low at the moment.

Given the size of Singapore, having a small scale relay is understandable.

I am really curious about these Games. Especially since there is talk of a French bid (Dunkirk - Rouen - Toulouse).

Given the size of Singapore, having a small scale relay is understandable.

It takes a little over an hour to travel for the east end to the west end of Singapore. At most, the local half of the relay will take 3-5 days . My bet is there will be international half as well.

Excellent question that was discussed at length in Beijing during the Games. Truth is, no one knows at the time.

You mean our Olympic cardinals had not thought of that beforehand ? :lol:

You mean our Olympic cardinals had not thought of that beforehand ? :lol:

Truth is, no one knows for sure how long the YOG will survive once Rogge is gone. A lot will depend on what Singapore makes of the 1st YOG.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this lesson about Olympic Education during PE today. Wasn't much really, just a youtube video about the Anicent olympics and some introduction to the modern olympics and Pierre de Coubertin.

My PE teacher ended treating to a drink after I answered his question, "When did the modern olympics started ?" :P Lols.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...