Geneva Has Excellent Chances To Be Olympic 2018

zenica

Geneva has excellent chances to be olympic venue for the 2018 winter games. The city is multicultural, and has all the political, economic, cultural and sporting conditions, in order to organize Olympic Games. In the past, Switzerland failed already six times in an Olympic candidacy, but now the time has finally come to Geneva to succeed. The competition from Pyong Chang, Aree, Reno / Taho and Munich is a very strong one, but Geneva will certainly take his chances. The time for a severe organization is limited, because a referendum for taking part in the applications has to be carried out. After that only three years stay to carry out the application and hopefully successful finish it in July 2011. In this sense for Geneva is still a lot of work ahead. But with well-planned projects and clear strategy the goal will be surely achieved: Within the next three years Geneva will gain the status of an Olympic city.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am supporting S Korea (unless something goes terribly wrong, of course). But I have been to both Munich and Geneva--they are wonderful cities and very deserving of the Games. I would give the edge to Geneva, though, since Munich has already hosted and Switzerland has not hosted in a much longer time. It all depends on the bid, though.

Long time no hear, Zenica. Good to see you back. I'm surprised we didn't hear from you when Platini got elected.

Hmmm. Still a long time to go and far too early to start predicting the way 2018 will likely go, but somehow i just don't rate Geneva's chances highly at this stage. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise when I see some more details and know more of what the opposition bids will be (I'd rate Munich as favourite at this stage, I think the IOC would love the chance to have its first city hosting both a summer and winter games, not to mention the chance to put the events of 1972 behind it).

Don´t forget Östersund! If they will bid for WOG 2018 then they will be big threat to all other bids! Sweden, which are a strong winter nation, haven´t host a WOG yet!

And also made the same half-dozen or so bids that Switzerland has, without winning any of them (While St Moritz has hosted a winter games for Switzerland).

Not to mention, that St. Moritz (Switzerland) has hosted twice. Sweden definitely deserves a go @ a WOG's.

And even though, as someone pointed out earlier, Munich already hosted, they hosted a SUMMER Games & not a Winter one. I also think the IOC would love to have their first city to host both versions of the Games.

At this point, I'd have to say that Pyeongchang (if they decide to bid for a 3rd time) & Munich are the early "favorites".

Advantages of Munich - Germany for 2018:

- a German bid for 2020 would become unlikely = one competitive European bid less

- Germany as Winter Sports Nation hosted once in 1936 only

- Munich offers the chance to be the first city, which hosted Summer- and Winter Games = what is quite charming

- the chance to put the events of 1972 behind it

Advantages of Pyeongchang - Korea for 2018:

- Asia's turn after America 2002, Europe 2006, America 2010 and Europe 2014

- reaching of a new frontierland = first Asian Winter Games outside of Japan

- would be the third bid in a row

Advantages of Östersund - Sweden for 2018:

- Sweden as Winter Sports Nation has never hosted Winter Games so far

- 6 unsuccessful bids in a row = Sweden as Winter Olympic host is overdue

Advantages of Geneva - Switzerland for 2018:

- compensation for Sion 2002 and 2006

Advantages of Munich - Germany for 2018:

- a German bid for 2020 would become unlikely = one competitive European bid less

- Germany as Winter Sports Nation hosted once in 1936 only

- Munich offers the chance to be the first city, which hosted Summer- and Winter Games = what is quite charming

- the chance to put the events of 1972 behind it

Don't forget the Olympiastadion. A good chance to fully modernize the stadium and Olympic Park. As well as having the largest crowd capacity for ceremonies.

Ostersund's big drawback and any Swedish bids drawback is population base and accommodations. The entire county has less then 150,000 people and it is not close to other major population bases in Norway or Sweden unlike Lillehammer that was not that far from Oslo and Trondheim. I think Falun is the better option, it is small at 40,000 but is in a country with close to 250,000 people and closed to both Stockholm and Oslo.

The games are now about 2600 athletes and 90 events and this is getting too big for small resorts and cities.

Ostersund's big drawback and any Swedish bids drawback is population base and accommodations. The entire county has less then 150,000 people and it is not close to other major population bases in Norway or Sweden unlike Lillehammer that was not that far from Oslo and Trondheim. I think Falun is the better option, it is small at 40,000 but is in a country with close to 250,000 people and closed to both Stockholm and Oslo.

The games are now about 2600 athletes and 90 events and this is getting too big for small resorts and cities.

Well I don´t think that the population is a problem. Östersund and Åre have much experience to host Winter games. It will be no problem for them to host WOG! They are true winter wonderlands!

Don´t forget Sweden´s EXCELLENT infrastructure and it will be better! From 2008 our High speed trains X2000 will go at the line "Atlantbanan". It´s between Stockholm-Gävle-Östersund. Sweden gouverment plans to begin to use new top modern high speed trains. They also plans to do "Atlantbanan" even better with great communications to Trondheim!

So for me Östersund will be a great contender if they decides to bidding!

Well I don´t think that the population is a problem. Östersund and Åre have much experience to host Winter games. It will be no problem for them to host WOG! They are true winter wonderlands!

Don´t forget Sweden´s EXCELLENT infrastructure and it will be better! From 2008 our High speed trains X2000 will go at the line "Atlantbanan". It´s between Stockholm-Gävle-Östersund. Sweden gouverment plans to begin to use new top modern high speed trains. They also plans to do "Atlantbanan" even better with great communications to Trondheim!

So for me Östersund will be a great contender if they decides to bidding!

Population base is a HUGE issue, smaller cities can't absorb large crowds as easily as larger cities, there isn't as much infrastructure, the cities don't have enough accommodations and don't have the population at hand for volunteering and sporting the games. Without the a population base there is not the human infrastructure to host the games. This has always been a drawback to Swedish bids since the 80s. Albertville and Lillehammer are smaller cities, but both are close to large population bases that could support them, Ostersund does not. And hosting world championships and world cups is nothing, maybe 100 to 300 athletes, 150 to 300 in support staff and maybe 10,000 tickets available for the event, compared to an Olympics that is 2500 athletes, 3000 support staff, at least a dozen venues that all need volunteers, and upwards of 100,000 visitors and around a 1 million tickets. There is a huge difference.

Population base is a HUGE issue, smaller cities can't absorb large crowds as easily as larger cities, there isn't as much infrastructure, the cities don't have enough accommodations and don't have the population at hand for volunteering and sporting the games. Without the a population base there is not the human infrastructure to host the games. This has always been a drawback to Swedish bids since the 80s. Albertville and Lillehammer are smaller cities, but both are close to large population bases that could support them, Ostersund does not. And hosting world championships and world cups is nothing, maybe 100 to 300 athletes, 150 to 300 in support staff and maybe 10,000 tickets available for the event, compared to an Olympics that is 2500 athletes, 3000 support staff, at least a dozen venues that all need volunteers, and upwards of 100,000 visitors and around a 1 million tickets. There is a huge difference.

Is the accommodations a problem. In Sweden we CAN build new buildings if we needs. We are not idiots! And do you really think that Östersunds population is the only in the whole Sweden??????????????? We are 9.182 927 people living in Sweden! Östersund will not has enough with volunteers????? In a Swedish population of over 9,1 million people they will not have enough with volunteers???? Oh dear!!!!!

Tickets: i don´t think it´s only Swedes who wants go to Östersund! Finns will go to the first Scandinavian OG in many years! And Östersund is close to Norway! For many Norweigans, Östersund is much closer than Lillehammer!

Is the accommodations a problem. In Sweden we CAN build new buildings if we needs. We are not idiots! And do you really think that Östersunds population is the only in the whole Sweden??????????????? We are 9.182 927 people living in Sweden! Östersund will not has enough with volunteers????? In a Swedish population of over 9,1 million people they will not have enough with volunteers???? Oh dear!!!!!

Tickets: i don´t think it´s only Swedes who wants go to Östersund! Finns will go to the first Scandinavian OG in many years! And Östersund is close to Norway! For many Norweigans, Östersund is much closer than Lillehammer!

Sweden's population is concentrated to the south along the coast, the north is sparsely populated. Sweden does have almost 10 million people, but that is in an area 100,000km^2 more than Germany.

Rakin Inlet can build accommodation for 40,000 people too, but what's the point when after the games, no one is there to use them. Its a huge waste of money.

Sweden's population is concentrated to the south along the coast, the north is sparsely populated. Sweden does have almost 10 million people, but that is in an area 100,000km^2 more than Germany.

Rakin Inlet can build accommodation for 40,000 people too, but what's the point when after the games, no one is there to use them. Its a huge waste of money.

Well, I think the most of the bids must build a lot, just ask Sochi! Of course you have right, the population is concentrated to the south. But I think a WOG is just it the Northern Sweden needs. More jobs and houses to live in. Many people move from North to the bigger towns in south because few jobs!

Well, I think the most of the bids must build a lot, just ask Sochi! Of course you have right, the population is concentrated to the south. But I think a WOG is just it the Northern Sweden needs. More jobs and houses to live in. Many people move from North to the bigger towns in south because few jobs!

No they don't, Sochi and Lillehammer have been the exceptions. Vancouver, Torino, Salt Lake City and Nagano all had at least 50% existing venues.

No they don't, Sochi and Lillehammer have been the exceptions. Vancouver, Torino, Salt Lake City and Nagano all had at least 50% existing venues.

Still, they must build! How much, yes it´s indivdual! Can Sochi get it, Östersund can do it! Soon Sweden is the last big Winter nation which hasn´t hosted WOG!

Still, they must build! How much, yes it´s indivdual! Can Sochi get it, Östersund can do it! Soon Sweden is the last big Winter nation which hasn´t hosted WOG!

They haven't hosted for a reason, they didn't bid when the games were smaller and had low public support in the other bids.

Sochi has a population about 10 times larger then Ostersund aswell.

Well, that's not necessarily true. Sweden placed winter bids for '88 through the Games for 2002. And '92 & '94 were won by smaller towns not much bigger than Ostersund. And Ostersund is about the same distant from Trondheim as Lillehammer is. So I don't really see that much of a problem. If anything, Norway's candidate of Tromsoe might suffer from such issues, but Ostersund to a much lesser degree.

Archived