Security Threat?

Sir Rols

BRUSSELS, Feb 19 Reuters - Militants in northwestern China are plotting attacks on the Beijing Olympic Games, a Chinese official said today, a day after China released news of a major counter-terrorist operation in the region last month.

Foreign ministry official Niu Qingbao said ``Eastern Turkestan terrorists'' had in the past planned attacks on Chinese institutions overseas as well as engaging in militant activity inside the country.

``More recently, they are still plotting terrorist attacks on the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games,'' Niu told a security conference hosted by the EastWest Institute, an international think-tank.

He was referring to Uighur separatists in the northwestern region of Xinjiang who are pressing for greater autonomy and a loosening of restrictions on Muslim religious worship.

Xinjiang is home to 8 million Uighurs, a Turkic, mainly Muslim people who share linguistic and cultural ties with Central Asia.

Many Uighurs resent the growing Han Chinese presence in the oil-rich region.

Beijing has accused Uighur militants of staging a series of terrorist attacks on civilians since the 1990s.

Niu did not mention last month's raid -- first reported on Monday by the official Xinhua news agency -- in which Chinese police shot and killed two members of a ``terrorist gang'' and detained 15.

Niu, deputy director general at the foreign ministry's department of external security affairs, said China intended to work with the international community to ensure the safety of the Olympics.

The Games open in Beijing on August 8.

``The Chinese government attaches great importance to the fight against the terrorists and takes active measures to safeguard the security of our people, economy and infrastructure,'' he added.

Xinhua said on Monday that Chinese soldiers would be given more extensive counter-terrorism training to deal with risks such as nuclear and biochemical threats during the Games.

REUTERS

Is it just me, or does this just sound like an excuse to put the boot in to the Uighurs?

Smells like bullshit... :mellow:

I agree. I just can't see an internal threat in China that is going to be able to get through the type of security and ring of steel the Red Army is going to throw around these games. I mean, maybe the Chinese are scared of seperatism, but apart from the international profile the Tibet issue has, they just don't seem to have the same internal frictions that are bedevilling other regions. It just seems to me, like the War on Terror, it's just an excuse for the Chinese Communist Party to crack down on dissent with a nice acceptable excuse.

I agree. I just can't see an internal threat in China that is going to be able to get through the type of security and ring of steel the Red Army is going to throw around these games. I mean, maybe the Chinese are scared of seperatism, but apart from the international profile the Tibet issue has, they just don't seem to have the same internal frictions that are bedevilling other regions. It just seems to me, like the War on Terror, it's just an excuse for the Chinese Communist Party to crack down on dissent with a nice acceptable excuse.

Whatever, Maybe it's good to see the Sharia Law could spread over the Great Wall and Beijing would sponsor another Darfur in the Middle East. And allow Taliban, Iran, East Turk plus Turkey (If they really wannt to quit the dreaming identity of joining the EU) to found a great nation in order to kick THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN'S ASS. So that's your vision, ahh? I beg you next time for the sake of death of 9/11 and London Bombing, not for those Cold War addicts, not to insult the War on Terror. OK?

I had enough about independence! Forget about it! I don't want to hear about boycotting and protesting!I just want to watch the Olympic Games!

Whatever, Maybe it's good to see the Sharia Law could spread over the Great Wall and Beijing would sponsor another Darfur in the Middle East. And allow Taliban, Iran, East Turk plus Turkey (If they really wannt to quit the dreaming identity of joining the EU) to found a great nation in order to kick THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN'S ASS. So that's your vision, ahh? I beg you next time for the sake of death of 9/11 and London Bombing, not for those Cold War addicts, not to insult the War on Terror. OK?

I'm sorry you took my post the wrong way _ I was not criticising the west's prosecutuion of the War on Terror (though while I broadly support it, there have been mistakes made there as well). I was referring, rather, to how the Chinese have used the War on Terror to crack down on their own population. I guess I didn't make that clear.

I've actually been one of the biggest non-US supporters of the US on the boards over the years. If you checked back my posts, they attest to my record.

Again, sorry if you mistook my meaning.

I'm sorry you took my post the wrong way _ I was not criticising the west's prosecutuion of the War on Terror (though while I broadly support it, there have been mistakes made there as well). I was referring, rather, to how the Chinese have used the War on Terror to crack down on their own population. I guess I didn't make that clear.

I've actually been one of the biggest non-US supporters of the US on the boards over the years. If you checked back my posts, they attest to my record.

Again, sorry if you mistook my meaning.

I don't agree.

Who the hell are you and where did that rant come from? :blink:

Who the hell are you and where did that rant come from? :blink:

If you wanna see nut jobs, check out Jerusalem 2036's blog link.

As to Mary Jane, I can see how she got the wrong opinion _ I should have worded my original post a lot clearer.

Edited by Sir Roltel

If you wanna see nut jobs, check out Jerusalem 2036's blog link.

As to Mary Jane, I can see how she got the wrong opinion _ I should have worded my original post a lot clearer.

Not a wrong opinion, I just thought you too naive to talk about some kind of issues. Like you know everything, like you are the insider. It's boring and misleading too may people. Wasting your emotions as wasting your time, Boy! Get a rest!

Not a wrong opinion, I just thought you too naive to talk about some kind of issues. Like you know everything, like you are the insider. It's boring and misleading too may people. Wasting your emotions as wasting your time, Boy! Get a rest!

Jeezus, try to be conciliatiory ....

Get that stick out of your ass, babe!

ya r really another male version of bitch, aren't you? jerk!

The correct term would be "dog".

Oh, and its hight time for this topic to be locked, in my opinion.