Chicago Olympics

Olympian wrote:

Remember Baron not everyone knows how to keep promises. NYC could be shafted by the USOC. I think it was only sympathy votes that put them where they are right now. San Francisco and DC was a better logical choice.  

Olympian, why would the USOC shaft NYC?  If NYC didn't want it anymore, all it has to do is say so, and the USOC will move to the other cities.  They...uhhh..don't do it her that way.  New York won 2/3 of the USOC's executive Board's vote.  Besides, most of NY's venues are all pretty much within NYC's 5 boroughs.  SF's main stadium is in Palo ALto; plus they have venues as far away as Sacramento.  So, overall, NYC is a more compact bid -- which is how the IOC likes it.  Read the New York bid folder/thread.  The USOC knows what it's doing, olympian.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If NYC lsoes 2012, based on past USOC patterns and the high quality of NYC's bid, it is highly unlikely that NYC will be dropped for 2016, and for anything NYC will be the USA's bid up to the 2020 SOG. The city is more then liekly bound to win one of these Olympics.....

Olympian wrote:

Remember Baron not everyone knows how to keep promises. NYC could be shafted by the USOC. I think it was only sympathy votes that put them where they are right now. San Francisco and DC was a better logical choice.  

Olympian, why would the USOC shaft NYC?  If NYC didn't want it anymore, all it has to do is say so, and the USOC will move to the other cities.  They...uhhh..don't do it her that way.  New York won 2/3 of the USOC's executive Board's vote.  Besides, most of NY's venues are all pretty much within NYC's 5 boroughs.  SF's main stadium is in Palo ALto; plus they have venues as far away as Sacramento.  So, overall, NYC is a more compact bid -- which is how the IOC likes it.  Read the New York bid folder/thread.  The USOC knows what it's doing, olympian.

I'm not saying that they'll be shafted. They could be shafted by USOC which could or couldn't happen. But other cities deserves the American Candidacy for 2016. And not all New Yorkers are in favor of the Games anyway.

Olympian wrote:

I'm not saying that they'll be shafted. They could be shafted by USOC which could or couldn't happen. But other cities deserves the American Candidacy for 2016. And not all New Yorkers are in favor of the Games anyway.

Yes, but if NYC is still behind it, and they always take citizen support polls so those are current, why should horses be changed mid-stream?  So much investment has already been made; it's rare that a city gets it on the first bid (Atlanta was a fluke); and the new cities will have to play catch up.  Study the bidding histories and you will see a pattern that cities that try after a 2nd or 3rd time, eventually get the Games.

I could be blind or I haven't seen it yet here. If Chicago were given the opportunity to host an Olympic Summer Games now, what venues in the city/area would be used here?

Chicago is very well qualified to host an olympics!

Chicago as hosted the Pan American Games, The World Cup, Special Olympics and has even won the right to host the olympics in 1904, which was taken away unfairly by St.Louis :cry:

Venues Ready:

United Center: Basketball and Volleyball

Wrigley Field:Baseball

Allstate Arena:Gymnastics and other Aerobic Sports

Soldier Field: Opening Ceremonies, Convertion to Track and Field and Soccer Finals

University of Chicago: Olympic Village and Other Sports.

Comiskey Park:Softball

Chicago Yacht Club: Yachting

Other Soccer Stadiums could be in Green Bay and St.Louis

SUPPORT CHICAGO 2016

Those are the places in Chicago they could have them Guardian.

Wow, a lot to respond to here.

Some thoughts...

- Chicago would be an exceptional host city for a summer olympics. But, as others have already noted, Chicago would first need to win the US bid (which is AS difficult as the international process), and then the international bidding process. No easy feat.

- Mayor Daley isn't going anywhere. If he chooses to run again in 2007 (which he probably will), he'll win. He's one of the most popular mayors in the nation, and he comes from one of the most infamous political family dynasties.

- And, NYC will be the US bid city for 2016. Logic would suggest that the 2012 bid is just a preparation for 2016. If NYC fares poorly in the international competition (placing fourth or fifth behind Paris, London, Madrid, etc.), the USOC might consider reopening the bid process. I would assume San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Houston would be front-runners for a substitute bid.

COMPLETE VENUE PLAN FOR CHICAGO

Allstate Arena-18,500 seats  SPORTS-Gymnastics

Soldier Field- 70,000 seats  SPORTS-Opening Ceremony

Closing Ceremony and Track

and Field

United Center- 18,000 seats  SPORTS-Basketball

U.S Cellular Field- 44,321 seats SPORTS- Softball

Wrigley Field- 38,000 seats  SPORTS- Baseball

UIC Pavillion- 15,000 seats  SPORTS- Indoor Volleyball

Welsh Ryan Arena- 8,117 seats SPORTS- Wrestling, Judo,Taekwondo

Patten Gymnasium- 2,000 seats SPORTS- Fencing

Northwestern University Sailing Center- 1,000 seats SPORTS- Sailing

Arlington Park- 15,000 seats SPORTS- Equestrian

McCormick Place- 8,000 seats SPORTS- Weightlifting,Boxing

Henry Crown Sports Pavillion- 5,000 seats SPORTS- Indoor Volleyball,Handball

Norris Aquatics Center- 5,000 seats SPORTS- Swimming,Diving

North Avenue Beach- TBD SPORTS-Beach Volleyball

Physical Education Building- 1,500 for Table Tennis

Ryan Field- Field Hockey

OUTSIDE METRO CHICAGO

Lambeau Field- 73,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Green Bay)

Memorial Stadium- 60,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Champaign)

Camp Randall Stadium- 77,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Madison)

Peshtigo River- TBD SPORT- Canoeing Slalom (Peshtigo)

Please LOOK over list and give suggestions

:D    CHICAGO OLYMPICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMPLETE VENUE PLAN FOR CHICAGO

Allstate Arena-18,500 seats  SPORTS-Gymnastics

Soldier Field- 70,000 seats  SPORTS-Opening Ceremony

Closing Ceremony and Track

and Field

United Center- 18,000 seats  SPORTS-Basketball

U.S Cellular Field- 44,321 seats SPORTS- Softball

Wrigley Field- 38,000 seats  SPORTS- Baseball

UIC Pavillion- 15,000 seats  SPORTS- Indoor Volleyball

Welsh Ryan Arena- 8,117 seats SPORTS- Wrestling, Judo,Taekwondo

Patten Gymnasium- 2,000 seats SPORTS- Fencing

Northwestern University Sailing Center- 1,000 seats SPORTS- Sailing

Arlington Park- 15,000 seats SPORTS- Equestrian

McCormick Place- 8,000 seats SPORTS- Weightlifting,Boxing

Henry Crown Sports Pavillion- 5,000 seats SPORTS- Indoor Volleyball,Handball

Norris Aquatics Center- 5,000 seats SPORTS- Swimming,Diving

North Avenue Beach- TBD SPORTS-Beach Volleyball

Physical Education Building- 1,500 for Table Tennis

Ryan Field- Field Hockey

OUTSIDE METRO CHICAGO

Lambeau Field- 73,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Green Bay)

Memorial Stadium- 60,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Champaign)

Camp Randall Stadium- 77,000 seats SPORT- Soccer (Madison)

Peshtigo River- TBD SPORT- Canoeing Slalom (Peshtigo)

Please LOOK over list and give suggestions

:D    CHICAGO OLYMPICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicagoFan - Right on the spot! :unclesam:

Having lived in Chicago 20 years and now living in San Francisco, I can assure you that Chicago is probably the most prepared city in the U.S. to host a games without having to build hardly anything.

Throw a velodrome up at Northwestern and your set.

You forgot one thing tho: the most gorgeous run for the marathon up Lake Shore Drive.

And the furthest spot on the first list is Arlington which is about 20 miles away.

Champaign and Madison are each 2 hours away (depending on how you drive :D  And my parents live 1/2 hour from Champaign so that works for me!

Yea, it would be great (although I feel bad that the world would be subjected to the UGLY new Soldier Field  :angry: .  

But it's not going to happen.

Daley will get re-elected until he dies.  And since he hasn't hit 60 yet, it's gonna be awhile before that happens.

Keep in mind that when Chicago was kicking around the idea of bidding for 2012 he made it clear that Chicago would not contribute any money.  "If the IOC wants to hold the games in Chicago, they should be paying us to submit a bid," he said.

God I despise that little Hitler.  So glad I live in Gavin Newsome land now.

Besides, he is much more attractive and doesn't get all red when he gets mad.    :P

I'm thinking that an organizing commitee could get corporate sponsorship from a major business in Chicago, like the homebase United Airlines, sort of like Coca-Cola in Atlanta.

Even if  :devil: Daley :devil:  dosn't want the Olympics in Chicago, a major business could cover the tab , so Daley has nothing to blab on and on about.

And if that dosn't work, Daley WILL be out of office soon! Chicagoans are getting pretty sick of him.

^ Are the people of Chicago really getting sick of him, or is it just the Tribune?  :;):  :D

In any case, Mayor Daley is here to stay. If the major corporations and the Chamber of Commerce were able to convince him that an Olympics would be beneficial to the city, he might be open to the idea. But, the USOC and IOC would never support an Olympics in a city where just corporations, and not local officals, support the bid.

With San Francisco's bid, in addition to the elected officials of all the major cities, all of the major corporations from around the Bay Area came out to support the bid (Chevron-Texaco, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Hewlwtt-Packard, Visa, etc.).

PS I'm with LA84 here. San Francisco does have the best looking mayor and first lady in the nation!

From a photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar:

dd_kimgavin01.jpg

PS I'm with LA84 here. San Francisco does have the best looking mayor and first lady in the nation!

From a photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar:

dd_kimgavin01.jpg

:P  :P  :P

Very nice!

How about this, Chicago's couldron would be the top of the Sears Tower.

That would be so cool :cool:

Just as neat as having the CN Tower in Toronto be the Couldron for their bid.

Let's just copy Calgary here.  :oh:

How about this, Chicago's couldron would be the top of the Sears Tower.

That would be so cool :cool:

Just as neat as having the CN Tower in Toronto be the Couldron for their bid.

Naw - I have a better place for it.

Just use the ugly new Soldier Field and make it one huge caldron.  Would serve two purposes - biggest Olympic flame in history and it would burn down the "Mistake By The Lake."  :upside:

Maybe its just me but I actually like Soldier Field  :D

It's just you.   :laugh:

That is a whole other topic of conversation.

:upside:

• 2 weeks later...

From today's (Sept 5) Chicago Tribune in an article about a Rotary One lunch where Mayor Daley spoke:

To an audience question about whether the new Millennium Park might trigger Olympic-hosting aspirations, he scoffed again. "The Olympics is a construction industry." (More crowd laughter.) "They wanted $2 million from me just to make a proposal! They want to build everything new."

Methinks as long as hizzhonor is in charge, the Windy City will be watching the Olympics, not hosting them.   :verysad:

I don't think we will see the Olympics in Chicago for a very long time.  The 2008 bid was proposed by a congressman, not the city.  It didn't go very far.  Chicago didn't even take a stab at 2012.

If NYC takes 2012, forget about Chicago or any US bid for about 16-20 years.  If NYC fails to take 2012, they will probably bid again for 2016...unless they score badly in the voting.  Even if the USOC decided to drop NYC, they would probably opt for a bid from San Francisco.  I don't think the City of Chicago has expressed enough support for hosting.

From today's (Sept 5) Chicago Tribune in an article about a Rotary One lunch where Mayor Daley spoke:

To an audience question about whether the new Millennium Park might trigger Olympic-hosting aspirations, he scoffed again. "The Olympics is a construction industry." (More crowd laughter.) "They wanted $2 million from me just to make a proposal! They want to build everything new."

Methinks as long as hizzhonor is in charge, the Windy City will be watching the Olympics, not hosting them.   :verysad:

:rolleyes:  

This from the man who went into Meigs in the middle of the night to take it over so he could build yet another park?

Please.  Richies problem is unless he wants to spend money on something, no money is gonna get spent.  

God he is an idiot.  I'm glad I am out of his town.

Well, Hizonner is 62, so if he follows the same path his daddy did and drop dead at his desk, it will probably be another 10-20 years before he is out of city hall.

Then of course there will be a fight for control of the city, so it will go down the toilet again like it did between Richie I and Richie II.

So 2050 might be a good guesstimate for Chicago hosting.   :angry:

Olympic Opening Ceremony Idea for Chicago Olympics

1. Countown Video, with numbers on different skyscrapers throught out the city.

2.Welcome Fireworks display over Soldier Field.

3.As the National Anthem plays all the flags of the 50 states walk on to the field together, except the flag of Illinois which comes in last.

4. The Anthem ends, and a great mist overcomes the stadium from Lake Michigan as the show begins.

5. The mist lifts as we see a large tribe of Potowatomi Indians(Native Americans) harvesting the crops and doing their daily routine, but we also see a small boy looking at them from the side with modern clothes carrying a map, which symbolizes the route to the future.

6. We then see Marquette and Joliet arrive via canoe exploring the land, while the Indians approach apphrensivly, but then the Indians and explorers run toward each other almost ready to battle, but then sign a treaty, The Treaty of Greeneville

7. The Little Boy still looks on as we jump 100 years and see the first fort of Dearborn, with people working and building and developing, and as if in fast forward the city turns into a large modern city of 1871.

8.We then see the little boy enter the middle of the scale model of 1871 Chicago when a fire starts, burning throughout the field with explosions and dynamite, people straming out crying and holding on, as the little boy on his knees crys and looks up through the flames and sees the Phoenix pick him up with his talons and takes him to saftey on a platform overlooking the destruction.

9.The mist extinguishes whats left of the fire, when we see people run on to the field picking up debris and starting to rebuild.

10.And again in fastforward we see the people of Chicago rebuilding. A giant screen rises overhead as Chicago modernizes more and more showing events from 1872-Present and at the end all the hundreds of years of Chicago's past and future come together creating a giant circle around the field.

11. The little boy then enters the dark but modern streets of Chicago rebuilt. We see him then climb up the Sears Tower replica in the center of the field. He holds up the map which turn to flame. He drops it on the roof, and suddenly all the lights of Chicago light up, glittering while a mist envelopes it all and the people. But we see the boy going back on the platform where the Phoenix dropped him awaiting the athletes of the world.

12. Parade of Nations

13. Chicago Organizing Commitee President, IOC Prsident give speeches.

14.Tribute to past Summer Games.

15. President of the USA declares the Games open.

16. The Oaths

17. Entrance of the Olympic Flag and Olympic Hymn

18. Torch Relay around the stadium

19. The last athelete holds up the torch and then puts in a hold on the little boy's platform. The flame then reaches the boy as he raises his torch to the East, symbolising the Ancient Greek Games, and to the West as new frontiers have yet to be explored.

20.He then puts the flame on a wire as it travels up and up until it reaches the Sears tower.

21. A  couldron inbetween the spires lights up as the flame can now be seen throughtout Chicagoland.

22. The largest fireworks show in history is shown.

23. The Ceremony Ends

Archived