Coverage Of Singapore's Yog 2010 Bids

250px-Singapore.jpg

Singapore Business District night view

500px-Sg_woodlands_a7_01.jpg

600px-Sengkang_Town_Centre_3,_Nov_05.jpg

Typical housing estate (HDB Flat) in Sinagpore. Almost 90% of Singaporean are staying in HDB flat. Believe me, staying in HDB flats in Singapore just like staying in normal condominiums!

250px-Toa_Payoh_Town_Centre_4,_Aug_06.JPG

Community hub in Toa Payoh, where the normal Singaporeans living with.

Good luck Singapore!

It's weird being a postal vote, as they days in the run up are seen as most crucial - but the the voting is already mostly over.

Does anyone know how the postal ballot worked in terms of how they were sent and deadlines etc? I assume they were all sent via courier? puppy? cfjeremies? I know one of you guys know...

2247741962_6f6e94161b.jpg

2248060590_5fbeb12f75_m.jpg

2247265495_4e6365c1d7_m.jpg

Proposed Youth Olympic Village in National University of Singapore

(Taken from www.youth.sg)

The final results of the Singapore’s Youth Olympic Games bid will only be announced on Feb 21, but Singapore has taken one step ahead to begin constructing the University Town — otherwise known as our iconic Youth Olympic Village (YOV).

Here’s the whammy: The S$500-$600 million (US$423-million) project is set to be completed in Feb 2010 – half a year before the games. This means that the massive village will be completed in just two years, while several key facilities to be up by end-2009. Talk about efficiency of the highest level!

Some juice on the YOV:

• It is located 13km from the city centre and within 30 minutes of travelling time to all YOG sports venues

• It is built to the latest environmental standards on a compact 19 hectare former golf course, integrating residential, educational, cultural and recreational facilities in a seamless design which takes advantage of the natural lush terrain

• There will be a residential zone with eight 5 to 9-storey residential colleges, each consisting of either four- or six-room apartments

• It will provide 5000 beds – more than enough for the expected number of athletes and officials

• It will be equipped with state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities, including village-wide wireless broadband for the youth athletes

Good luck to Singapore! The proposed Youth Olympic Village looks real nice. But I think Moscow will win the first hosts rights to the YOG simply because of the city vast array of facilities all over the city to utilize and experience in international events. This is not to say Singapore doesn't have a lot to offer as a YOG host: very pretty, clean, tropical, multicultural city (nice skyline) with solid sports venues of their own for this scale. But Singapore, outside of Southeast Asian sports competitions, isn't really known for its all-around international sports prowess track record.

A side note, the Toa Payoh Sports Complex is where the former Chinese Basketball Association basketball team Beijing Aoshen Olympic play their home games in the American Basketball Association minor league; Olympic doesn't have to travel to the US and Canada to play their opponents on the road. They just stay and play all of their games there with all of them count in the standings.

Hey Desmond, speaking as a Singaporean, it's really great to see our brother across the Causeway supporting our bid as if it was Malaysia's! Cheers heaps! I work opposite the Games Village, and where I work, has been designated as a training venue, so I'm praying that we would win.

Some more info:

1. The floating platform at Marina Bay, isn't exactly a stadium. It was purpose built for our National Day (celebration of our nation's independence) when our aged National Stadium was due to be rebuilt. It's been used for other events like the Fireworks Festival and also the Ironman 70.3.

2. It's just been announced that another 7,000 seats will be added to the existing 7,000 at the Bishan Stadium.

I'll be driving across the island to pick my wife up from the airshow, so I guess I'll be in the car when the announcement is made. Fingers crossed! 4 more hours to go!

Hi All,

As promised, I will upload some photos taken from Singapore 2010 countdown party, which "exclusively" shared with all GamesBids.com members and viewers!!!

private_1_a7cbed8ccedad63e5baac60345ce584a7e2075ee31f9926372f347aa6fa7bc75l.jpg

[5.00pm - Singapore Time] Me and my sister had reached early for the countdown party. The party was set in front of City Hall. For all F1 fans, this road will be part of the track of the first ever night F1 race in Singapore.

private_1_88a2fc74693442fb031978d4c2bf82f71eb8d08f1a224f779c9f8bc0b7ae6450l.jpg

The stage

Hi All,

As promised, I will upload some photos taken from Singapore 2010 countdown party, which "exclusively" shared with all GamesBids.com members and viewers!!!

1_323466407l.jpg

[5.00pm - Singapore Time] Me and my sister had reached early for the countdown party. The party was set in front of City Hall. For all F1 fans, this road will be part of the track of the first ever night F1 race in Singapore.

1_595536995l.jpg

[5.05pm - Singapore Time] The stage, 2 more hours to go for the YOG announcement.

1_202882336l.jpg

[5.15pm - Singapore Time] The Junior College students guiding the audience to the seats. Do you notice that most of the audience are wearing red-coloured shirt? the Singapore 2010 YOG Bid Countdown Party organizer had encouraged all the Singaporean to wear red on 21st Feb 2008 to support Singapore's bid.

1_850011629l.jpg

[5.25pm - Singapore Time] View from the seat (Purposely go up to the upper part of the seat, just to take this photo for GamesBids.com, touch?)

1_456809516l.jpg

[5.45pm - Singapore Time] The countdown party is about to start. Danial Ong, famous DJ in Singapore, is the host of the party. 1 hour and 15 minutes to go for the YOG announcement.

1_158950946l.jpg

[6.15pm - Singapore Time] The party started at 6pm, with the 24 season drum-beat performance. The Singapore flag entrance, carried by Singapore Sport Minister, Teo Ser Lor (sorry... didn't go in front and take the photo, :P).

1_645882161l.jpg

[6.50pm - Singapore Time] The spirit growing high, and the Singapore flag flying high, as the time for the announcement approaching soon. Will the 5 star meets the 5 rings?

1_385022572l.jpg

[6.55pm - Singapore Time] 1 of the 2 big screens set up for the live announcement from Lausanne, Switzerland.

1_760869883l.jpg

[7.00pm - Singapore Time] Desmond Chan (MAS) on the left and Colim Lim (SIN) aka Commentator, his nickname in GamesBids.com, on the right, the "representatives" of GamesBids.com for the second time in Singapore. The first time was during 2005 117th IOC Session in Singapore, when London won 2012 Olympic Bids.