Dwaine Chambers' Selection For Great Britain For The Valencia 2008 Iaaf World Indoors

I've just sent the following suggestion to UK Athletics:

Regarding the current controversy cause by the selection of Dwaine Chambers for the British team at the 12th IAAF World Indoor Championships in Valencia, I would like to suggest that, given the public response to his selection, as well as the unwillingness of the UKA Board in regards to Chambers' selection, that UKA (making any request as relevant to the IAAF Council/ Competition Commission) exclude Mr Chambers from attending medal ceremonies in Valencia, should he achieve a medal, and/or, should he achieve a Gold medal, request that the National Anthem not be played during the medal ceremony of his particular event.

What do you all think?

An example should be made of him. If he did win a gold, he would still cause a fuss and get attention anyway.

It's been alleged that he his planning to appeal against the BOA bye-law banning him from Olympic selection, yet I fail to see what grounds for appeal he has? It was neither a minor offence nor were there any apparent mitigating circumstances.

An example should be made of him. If he did win a gold, he would still cause a fuss and get attention anyway.

It's been alleged that he his planning to appeal against the BOA bye-law banning him from Olympic selection, yet I fail to see what grounds for appeal he has? It was neither a minor offence nor were there any apparent mitigating circumstances.

Not playing the national anthem or banning him from the medal ceremonies may make an example of him but what good would it do? The fact is the governing bodies are partly to blame for this situation arising, and the conspicous absense of either Dwaine or the national anthem at a medals ceremony would look like they were shutting the stable door - and shutting it rather weakly - after the horse has bolted.

They should let this one pass as quietly as possible and, most importantly, make sure this situation never happens again. Big gestures now would only serve to highlight the fact that this shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place.

As for his appeal, I'd have thought he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. And once Beijing rolls around, Dwaine's performance - good or bad - in Valencia will be long forgotten.

Whether we like it or not, and I have to be honest and say that I don't particularly, Chambers has served his time. He earned the right to selection for the World Indoors. That should be the end of it. The issue surrounding the BOA's life Olympic ban is a separate one and I have to say I find that rule wholly illogical.

Archived