Ok, Finally Got The Cauldron-lighting Scenario

If that's the cauldron tower at its max height (considering that cauldron-esque thing at the top), than everyone inside the stadium for Athletics and the Closing Ceremony won't see any flame?

But it's also far from the stadium, so if it is going to get high enough to be seen from the inside, it'll end being pretty damn tall.

That must be for something else.

It would appear to be the cauldron tower, but im not really sure.

I dont exactly know the mechanics of a cauldron, it looks kinda simplistic to hold such a technical thing like the cauldron. But perhaps it is, who knows. It's pretty early to put it up tho.

2008381642776872.jpg

But this structure looks pretty small -- at least not tall enough for the flame to be seen from the audience in the stadium, and it's a lot smaller than Torino's cauldron. And obviously it doesn't get much higher, because they've already reached the funnel-shaped opening of this thing.

So I don't think that this is the cauldron. If they build a cauldron tower at all, it will be much, much taller -- and more spectacular. I rather suppose that this is a sculpture.

It was false alarm. A user of the SkyscraperCity forum pointed out that they are building those structures all across the Olympic Green. He supposes that those are solar panels or something like that.

Here's photographic proof:

2008312974912230.jpg

And here's the post of that user:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php...p;postcount=458

I dunnow, perhaps they're just going to attach a simple post at the inner edge of the roof? Maybe the planned spectacle is just the actual path of the flame from the final torchbearer to the cauldron and not the fancy mechanics at all. I do hope that they won't do a Torino or Atlanta/Albertville, though. Then again, I can't think of other ways to achieve the Barcelona effect.

It was false alarm. A user of the SkyscraperCity forum pointed out that they are building those structures all across the Olympic Green. He supposes that those are solar panels or something like that.

Here's photographic proof:

2008312974912230.jpg

And here's the post of that user:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php...p;postcount=458

OK. They are going to be sculptural lamp posts then.

Indeed, it is way too early for the cauldron tower to be erected.

Was sorting out some old files, and I came across the BOCOG package for the Ceremonies tender. This is what it had to say about (I quote verbatim):

3. The Cauldron

In accordance with the stipulation in clause 68 of the Olympic Charter, "The Olympic flame must be placed in a prominent position, clearly visible and, where the structure of the stadium permits, visible also from outside the stadium." According to convention of recent Olympic Games, the cauldron was usually placed on the north side of the stadium, and the top of the cauldron is not lower than the highest point of the stadium. The applicant can design the Lighting Ceremony based on the requirements above. However, the creative design should ensure the safety of the main srtucture/substructure of the Stadium during and after the Lighting Ceremony (include: roof, steel structure, membrance structure, tier, etc.) At meanwhile [sic], the creative design should avoid any impacts [sic] on track and field competitions caused by the cauldron and try to reduce the interference to the sight of spectators (POP and big screen)."

So those are the parameters BOCOG stipulated when it ran the bidding processes. So I believe it will have to sit outside.

And these would be the same guidelines for Vancouver to follow.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Was sorting out some old files, and I came across the BOCOG package for the Ceremonies tender. This is what it had to say about (I quote verbatim):

3. The Cauldron

In accordance with the stipulation in clause 68 of the Olympic Charter, "The Olympic flame must be placed in a prominent position, clearly visible and, where the structure of the stadium permits, visible also from outside the stadium." According to convention of recent Olympic Games, the cauldron was usually placed on the north side of the stadium, and the top of the cauldron is not lower than the highest point of the stadium. The applicant can design the Lighting Ceremony based on the requirements above. However, the creative design should ensure the safety of the main srtucture/substructure of the Stadium during and after the Lighting Ceremony (include: roof, steel structure, membrance structure, tier, etc.) At meanwhile [sic], the creative design should avoid any impacts [sic] on track and field competitions caused by the cauldron and try to reduce the interference to the sight of spectators (POP and big screen)."

So those are the parameters BOCOG stipulated when it ran the bidding processes. So I believe it will have to sit outside.

And these would be the same guidelines for Vancouver to follow.

But they write all the time about a cauldron situated at (and not outside) the stadium. And they also say that the flame must be visible from outside the stadium where the structure of the stadium permits. For me that doesn't really sound as if an cauldron outside the stadium is obligatory.

But they write all the time about a cauldron situated at (and not outside) the stadium. And they also say that the flame must be visible from outside the stadium where the structure of the stadium permits. For me that doesn't really sound as if an cauldron outside the stadium is obligatory.

I'm NOT saying OBLIGATORY. But from all angles, it would seem to be the most feasible solution -- NOT UNLESS they want to do it the Seoul-Busan way and just have it in a cup raised off to the side. But to me, that would also offer obstructed views to some spectators.