Québec 2016

So, I know it's by a river -- but did such frigates or galleon ships ply by Quebec? Is shipping a big thing in Quebec?

Shipping is and was a big industry in Quebec, and it has major ports that send supplies to America and Europe (Mostly agricultural products I think)

But as for the ship in the logo. it represents the Don de Dieu (as is in the flag of Quebec City), the ship of Samuel de Champlain, discoverer of New France, the so-called father of New France.

Does that answer your question?

Ville de candidat. You didn't add the French version to your bid book as you are trying to do English and French languages for the logo.

Ville de candidat. You didn't add the French version to your bid book as you are trying to do English and French languages for the logo.

Can we see some Nigerian in your bid book then James? Or Morrocan? Or some Canadian English isnt it James?

I didn't extend to the inclusion of standard French in my bid book for obvious reasons. :P

1. I am not a native speaker of French, nor am a speaker of French as another language.

2. It would have been a long effort to translate the pages via language translation.

3. It would have been pointless to translate in French as most people here, don't speak or know very little.

4. It would have consumed unnecessary space in the PDF file.

5. It would have required me to either add more pages or truncate the text and such to fit on one page or smaller pages.

I would like to thank all those who supported Québec2016 these past few weeks (You know who you are! ;)). Oh well, had I checked back earlier maybe I would have snugged my way to the next round, but then again, there could easily have been more votes for the other candidates.

Anyhow, I guess better luck in 4 years time! ;)

Head of the QCOCOG: (In a few years time after the decisive win by whoever) "We demand the 39 million dollars we spent on our bid! We were robbed! Merde!" :lol:

QuebecBidLogo.jpg

Post all your opinions, support statements and critiques about the Québec 2016 bid here!

le rendez-vous dans Québec! :)

That's a great joke! No NHL team,no CFL team, Think of this if the NFL was to come to Canada, Quebec wouldn't be on the map. Quebec City to host an Olympics. Remember they came in last place when they made their bid for the 2002 winter Olympics.

That's a great joke! No NHL team,no CFL team, Think of this if the NFL was to come to Canada, Quebec wouldn't be on the map. Quebec City to host an Olympics. Remember they came in last place when they made their bid for the 2002 winter Olympics.

This competition is for fun.

Can you please have some respect for the people who make some efforts even if their bids are irrealistic.

It's just a game.

I agree with you that Quebec will never be close to get Summer games.

Beeing from Montreal (and I travel to Quebec City yesterday), I can give hundreds of reason why Quebec will never get the games. Most obvious is the politics situation : Is the province of Quebec will still be part of Canada in 2016 with the independancy question coming every four years. Is the Quebec airport have the capacity to receive planes from Sydney, London, Rome, Hong Kong, Rio etc... ? (all the arrivals will have to be in Montreal). Is the extremelly poor public transportation (no subway) is a major problem, etc...

But, even if Quebec bid is impractibable, as the one maybe of Boston, Miami, and probabbly all the others one, we don't care, it's just a game

Please, don't bash the participant. Some of them spent a lot of time for that "just for fun" competition

Shipping is and was a big industry in Quebec, and it has major ports that send supplies to America and Europe (Mostly agricultural products I think)

But as for the ship in the logo. it represents the Don de Dieu (as is in the flag of Quebec City), the ship of Samuel de Champlain, discoverer of New France, the so-called father of New France.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks, Lord D. BTW, despite the churlish comments of one olimpikfan, GOOD JOB!!

Umm ever heard of the Quebec Nordiques? They we're an expansion franchise in the NHL in the 80's, which warranted the need to modernize (think of the 80's of course) Quebec Coliseum. They moved to Denver to become the Denver Avalanche in 1995 because of lack of sponsorship funding.

Plus, Quebec is one of the prime cities to get the next CFL franchise, should an Olympic Stadium be built, this would no doubt secure the means of obtaining a CFL franchise.

As for last place in the 2002 bid, the IOC had stated that the Quebec City presentation video was the most impressive of the 4 bidding cities, sure there were some doubts, so crazy concepts, but ultimately, one must remember, this was the bid race which had the 2002 bidding scandal.

Should there been no scandal, perhaps Quebec could have made it to win, or at least have more rounds.

And finally. should the NFL come to Canada, it would end up as CFL USA, just a gimmick that wouldn't last. It would probably fold withing a year or two because of a lack of modern stadiums.

This competition is for fun.

I agree with you that Quebec will never be close to get Summer games.

Beeing from Montreal (and I travel to Quebec City yesterday), I can give hundreds of reason why Quebec will never get the games. Most obvious is the politics situation : Is the province of Quebec will still be part of Canada in 2016 with the independancy question coming every four years. Is the Quebec airport have the capacity to receive planes from Sydney, London, Rome, Hong Kong, Rio etc... ? (all the arrivals will have to be in Montreal). Is the extremelly poor public transportation (no subway) is a major problem, etc...

Politics? Well Quebec might wind up in another referendum, but regardless of the result, it is still plausible to host a Summer Olympics (in another Olympic year of course).

Transportation? The Quebec Tramway is currently being implemented and perhaps by the 2020's more routes and lines could be formed. The existing bus network would be extensively used. For travel to venues outside the city centre, then charter or regional buses may be used.

Airport? Well Quebec's Jean Lesage International Airport is currently undergoing an upgrade to meet modern standards, and could possibly undergo further upgrades in anticipation of an Olympics. Yes a majority of international flights would wind up in Montreal (which is of course cheaper for the customer to land there and go to Quebec by other means, than to get a connecting flight), but some key flights particularly from the US and Europe, can easily be handled at Quebec's airport.

It is possible, just needs the right budget and good planning. But of course, many prefer (like me) for Quebec to bid and host a Winter Games first.

Umm ever heard of the Quebec Nordiques? They we're an expansion franchise in the NHL in the 80's, which warranted the need to modernize (think of the 80's of course) Quebec Coliseum. They moved to Denver to become the Denver Avalanche in 1995 because of lack of sponsorship funding.

Plus, Quebec is one of the prime cities to get the next CFL franchise, should an Olympic Stadium be built, this would no doubt secure the means of obtaining a CFL franchise.

As for last place in the 2002 bid, the IOC had stated that the Quebec City presentation video was the most impressive of the 4 bidding cities, sure there were some doubts, so crazy concepts, but ultimately, one must remember, this was the bid race which had the 2002 bidding scandal.

Should there been no scandal, perhaps Quebec could have made it to win, or at least have more rounds.

And finally. should the NFL come to Canada, it would end up as CFL USA, just a gimmick that wouldn't last. It would probably fold withing a year or two because of a lack of modern stadiums.

The NHF would probably be highly successful actually, about half of the Buffalo Bills season ticket holders are Canadians living in the Toronto area and when I was at a game last November I was completely surrounded by Canadians. I would assume Detroit has a similar following of Canadian NFL fans as well as Seattle.

In 2002 Quebec City was against some outstanding bids from Ostersund and Sion, though I doubt very much Quebec would have won if the scandal had not been involved, those games were going to SLC either way in my opinion.

Also its the Colorado Avalanche, not Denver (I have been a fan since 1995)

Archived