Countdown Clock Vandalized Again By Apc

mr.x

Anti-Olympic protesters stage rally in downtown Vancouver

Sunday, February 17 - 05:20:43 PM Katharine Kitts

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The Anti-Poverty Committee staged a short, but intense rally at the Vancouver Art Gallery today.

The Olympic clock has once again become the target of the APC.

As families played near the fountain in front of the Art Gallery, a couple dozen protestors quickly arrived and went straight for the clock.

Bright yellow paint was smeared down the front of the clock and a poster was plastered over the number of days left until the Games.

One protester says the Olympics are destroying environment and wreaking havoc on the neighbourhood.

He says they can't stop the Games but they can disrupt them, and possibly deter other cities from taking them on.

Many say their loud and in-your-face approach is the best way of getting their message across.

Police kept an eye on the area, but the protestors didn't stick around long after.

It sure would be nice if these morons would spend as much energy doing something positive for society as they spend vandalizing and disrupting this city.

I know what China would do with these thugs. They would not be around to disrupt and spoil the joy of the majority. You abuse your rights and freedoms and you lose them!

I would like some of these idiots to spend some time with our paralympians to find out what it really means to struggle and succeed! Not to sit around and whine about how rough life is!

And the anti-poverty committee who felt the clock was a waste of money seems to think that destroying it - thus causing more money to be spent on repairing and securing it - will be a better investment of funds?

Many of the APC know nothing of true poverty...bunch of rich brats who feel resentment toward their parents for giving them a life of luxury.

Anti-Olympic protesters demand 'homes for everybody'

By Ian Austin

The Province

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Protesters vowed further civic disruption yesterday as they defaced the Olympic Countdown Clock in downtown Vancouver.

"This isn't the end of resistance," said Thomas Malenfant, as he glued two posters to the clock located in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery. "This is only the beginning."

A female protester lobbed two yellow paintballs at the clock, obscuring some of the numbers which continuously count down the time remaining until the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The afternoon anti-Olympic rally on the eve of today's provincial budget began peacefully at Victory Square, where speakers accused the B.C. Liberals of squandering a budget surplus on tax cuts for the rich and the giant Olympic budget.

"Last year the surplus was $2 billion," said Jill Chettiar of the Anti-Poverty Committee, which organized the protest. "This year we're looking at [a possible] $3 billion.

"People on the Downtown Eastside are paying for the surplus with their lives, and what are they getting - tax cuts for the rich.

"They're spending money on tax cuts for people who already have homes, who already have cars."

About 40 protesters marched through city streets, chanting "No Homes, No Peace," and "Homes, Not Olympics," before joining another 30 people gathered near the clock.

They were tailed by four bicycle cops and a patrol car, but no police greeted the group as it neared the clock.

The group struck quickly, lobbing the paintballs and slapping up the posters, as about a dozen officers moved in closely, but made no move to intervene.

"We want 2,000 units of social housing built every year," said Malenfant after he'd pasted the posters to the clock. "We want free tuition. We will not tolerate this any longer."

Malenfant, 23, lives in the Downtown Eastside, and works for the Downtown Eastside Residents Association. - hes part of the poverty industry!!

He dismissed the government's recent purchases of hotels to convert to social housing.

"That's not new housing," he said. "That's just a change of slumlord.

"We want 2,000 units of new housing - that's $200 million a year, plus $10 million a year to maintain.

"That's not much compared to a $2 billion surplus. We want homes for everybody in B.C. - that's all."

When asked if police would move in to arrest protesters, an officer replied: "When the time comes, the time comes - until then it's just a protest."

No arrests were made at the scene, but police remained at the scene long after the protesters left, interviewing witnesses to try to determine who threw the paintballs.

Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan dismissed the protest as a small, vocal minority.

"When you have thousands of citizens offering to volunteer for the games, and corporations around the world spending money on the games, when you see a small group constantly working against all of our efforts, it's very frustrating," said Sullivan.

"There are people who take advantage of our society, and our desire to offer people freedom of speech."

The province and the city have made a number of recent housing announcements - the latest the purchase of six Vancouver hotels last week.

Sullivan said 115 rooms in those hotels were vacant, and new residents will be carefully screened.

"There will be two people working there full-time, and there will be renovations," said Sullivan.

Sullivan added that "3,050 units of social housing are in the planning, development or construction phase."

iaustin@png.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...3281&k=1311

These people are lunatics.

The anti-poverty protest might as well just go shut down homeless shelters and lobby to halt construction of low-income housing units themselves. The city, OC, and others putting dollars into the projects will take money from their budget to replace any messes the protestors make anyways. Hee hee.

And the anti-poverty committee who felt the clock was a waste of money seems to think that destroying it - thus causing more money to be spent on repairing and securing it - will be a better investment of funds?

Many of the APC know nothing of true poverty...bunch of rich brats who feel resentment toward their parents for giving them a life of luxury.

I was thinking the same thing about the cost of repairs. Also, their threats of more vandalism and disruptions may lead to additional policing and security costs.

I read about this vandalism after watching parts of the Variety Club Telethon on Sunday about families whose children endure continuing health problems yet still manage to smile. One young girl in particular has suffered particularly agonizingly painful operations over the past year. Did she sit home and whine about how bad life was treating her? No, even with her pain she still went out and continued her penny drive to raise money for other children like herself. This past year she raised over $100,000 and over the past several years an amazing $.1 million!!! She is one of the true heroes of society. These spoiled brats could learn a huge lesson from her!

Thankfully, the glass was not broken and the paint and poster has been completely removed. There are still CCTV cameras around the site, watching the clock.

Thomas Malenfant ("bad baby") is the guy on the left with glasses. Eversince David Cunningham was given a restraining order from Olympic sites, government and VANOC officials, Malenfant has been the leader of the protests.

139500-44009.jpg

Go back to Nirvana, you hippies :lol:!

Now seriously, i'm sick of these people who, in reality, don't show the general opinion of the vancouverites about the games. And they should so something more productive, instead of vandalizing a clock (like that spoiled boys are going to gain something bigger with it)

Geez. <_< I guess they don't realize what a bunch of (bleep) they are showing to the rest of us. Why do I get the uneasy feeling that this organization is getting these people to do these acts behind the scenes? :rolleyes:

I can't believe this is happening. I don't like this at all. These protesters should be in jail. This is sabotage!

Every time I look at the picture of "bad baby" in front of the clock, I keep wondering to myself, maybe if he cut back on his food budget he could afford to pay rent.

I really dislike groups like this that do not offer viable solutions, or just sit on the sidelines to tell you everything that they don't like.

Activisim is one thing - this is ridiculous. They certainly haven't learned that public opinion is the best thing to have. When you don't have that, you can really kiss your cause goodbye...

Against the backdrop of another story that made the news today (Chinese Olympic critic to stand trial for subversion) this bunch of protesters and their cause look especially pathetic.

It makes an interesting case-study juxtaposing the problems locals in Beijing and Vancover have had in the build up to their cities' Olympic preparations. Food for thought for Mr Malenfant methinks.

No arrests yet for vandalism of Olympic Countdown Clock

Ian Austin, The Province

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Vancouver police have yet to make an arrest following the paintballing of the Olympic Countdown Clock in Vancouver.

Two paintballs hit the clock when about 75 protesters from the Anti-Poverty Committee gathered Sunday in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery. Two posters were also stuck on the clock.

Police questioned members of the media following the fracas, asking them to identify who hurled the yellow paint.

"We will be following it up," police spokesman Const. Tim Fanning said yesterday.

"As soon as we have more on it, we will let you know."

An Olympics spokeswoman said no plans are being made to step up security for the clock. A security guard was posted after an earlier attack.

iaustin@png.canwest.com

I'm still fuming about these people attacking the clock. They should pay for damages. We don't need people like this here. I'm so disgusted about this! This is wrong! I don't like this at all!

I love how they act like it was some great victory. Their 'poster' was no more than the size of a regular letter-sized page put on the face of a clock that is about 15 feet tall. And the paint was splattered on the Paralympic side of the clock. Maybe they hate the Paralympics more than the Olympics? But all removed and unnoticed less than a few hours later.

I can't believe this is happening. I don't like this at all. These protesters should be in jail. This is sabotage!

I have to question about the sabotage bit. A)what effect does it have on the games and B). How moronic is it if indeed the Glass covering is not shatter proof and sprayed with Graffiti Proof Coating.

It is easy to get from sign supply companies and you just have two identical lexan faces that can be zipped off the clock in 30 to 60 minutes.

In Jail ? so they can live better then they do in the Streets and cost more money then their nuisance costs to repair LOL.

Sabotage would be if the Ski Jump had C4 exploded at the base within the operations period of the Games and that stopped the Games. A Clock in downtown Vancouver get sprayed bombed ? Gee I wonder what the punishment normally for Tagging or posting a Hand bill is ROTFLMAO. Probably a couple of hundred dollar fine in front of a judge which these people you would never get.

This is a petty Nuisance really that effect no one but interested parties making a ton of money from the games.

Prior to Expo 1986 the homeless were promised affordable housing in Vancouver. They still are waiting while Vancouver gears up for another waste of money.

I dont agree with the tactics or the people involved but a state crime because these people put snot in your oatmeal a couple of mornings it a bit much . Again throwing these people in Jail . first you have to catch them and then you have to spend money in court for a conviction . probably more then the cost of the replacement Glass . You would think after once the organizing committee would mount this on a greased Sign Standard .

Jim jones

And the paint was splattered on the Paralympic side of the clock. Maybe they hate the Paralympics more than the Olympics?

APC = Anti Paralympic Clock

Damaging the clock is annoying. They want attention and the media gives it to them. They should be ignored. But when they threaten further action that is far more serious. The dictionary defines terrorism as "the unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons." They hardly compare with most people we call terrorists, but the definition fits.