Nba Looking To Expand Into Europe 'within The Decade'

arwebb

NBA considers expansion to Europe

Given the controversy surrounding the Premier League's overseas plans in football, I'm interested to know what members' reactions are to this idea. I don't follow basketball particularly closely, but this seems to me to be just as bad as the Premier League proposals, if not worse. There are already well established basketball competitions in Europe, so why does the NBA think it can come and muscle in, creating its own franchises for its own competition when there are teams and structures already in situ? This may be a long-term aim, but the intention appears to be pretty clear to me.

I doubt it. With the different time zones, long flights overseas, etc. I don't think the players would support such a venture out into Europe.

The NBA says all this stuff just for hype and to grow its brand overseas.

I think they will just stay in the USA and Canada. I've always wondered why Montreal never put in a bid for an NBA franchise, I think it would survive in that city.

Ultimately, I think one of the problems for a team in Montreal is salaries. Back when the Canadian dollar was low, players earned less than they did in the USA. Many point to the Vancouver Grizzlies as a failure for not getting fan support, but the games did draw people and interest - they just couldn't afford winning players and teams and were always playing a catch up game with their opponents. A losing team with big ticket prices can't keep its fans for long. The Grizz in Memphis certainly don't get heaps more support than they did in Vancouver.

OK, so the NBA in Europe...would they play American teams (and Toronto) or would they just play European teams (essentially the EBA). The London Bulldogs against les Rois de Paris? The Berlin Adlers against the Stockholm Vikings? Or would they play the Lakers and the Pistons?

The European basketball is still fragiled in comparison to NBA. Maybe NBA will just muscle up the European teams and improve the quality of games in them thereby creating a franchise for its product. That's economically viable.

But would it be right? As I said, I don't follow basketball very closely but if I were connected to a club like the Sheffield Sharks, one of this country's biggest clubs, I wouldn't be too welcoming of it. And there are at least three or four teams in the London area alone. How would they cope if some franchise gets dropped into the O2, as it appears the NBA might be keen to do? There are established structures in Europe. They may not be long established but they are there. In my view, the NBA has as much right to do this as the Premier League has to play games abroad - namely none.

Archived