What New Stadium Is Being Built Today?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you see by 2010 the Twins will have moved out of the Metrodome so the Metrodome will probably be imploded, and the RCA Dome will be imploded as the Colts are moving into Retractable Lucas Oil Field in Indy.

That leaves the Silverdome in Pontiac which will probably meet the same fate.

So as of 2010 if BC Place keeps the bubble dome it will be the only bubble dome left in North America still in some use.

It makes no sense to spend $ 50 plus million dollars on the Opening Ceremonies under a roof that costs $ 20 million. That's just being cheap.

That one and the new one in Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Field) look like huge barns. No personality, just cold, box architecture.
which one are you pertaining too? the new giants stadium or new cowboys stadium?

The new Dallas Stadium looks okay but Lucas Oil Field and the new Giants stadium don't turn my crank in terms of classic Stadium architecture. They just look like big barns. Too corporate.

In the case of Indy, with Lucas Oil some of the seats seem so far away from the field! Might as well watch it on tv if you're gonna sit that far away.

Let me take a guess. Lucas Oil Field will be used for Conventions too, is this correct? I'm guessing so because of the elaborate roof system.

And in Dallas? Will the new Stadium be used for Conventions too, though it's in Arlington which is 15 miles out of Dallas.

One Stadium I like in terms of architecture is Arrowhead Stadium in KC.

Cape Town

Capacity: 70,000

501211650_dd49b8705a_o.jpg

2334254321_b9829a5572_o.jpg

2271880464_43044086ea_o.jpg

2280529818_4e7b55f63e_o.jpg

2271878332_82da74918d.jpg

The image of Cape Town is uniquely characterized by the interaction of Table Mountain and Signal Hill, a soft, hilly landscape and the surrounding Atlantic Ocean. Greenpoint Stadium is situated as a solitary body, embedded in Green Point Common at the foot of Signal Hill and is ordered respectfully into the landscaped complex.

The exterior shell of the stadium was designed as an abstract, linearly arranged membrane construction. Its unique undulating silhouette, which is the result of the geometry of the stadium body, transforms the stadium into a sculptural object and intensifies its integration into the existing landscape.

The light membrane is composed of expansive concave elements that form a cohesive flowing facade, which follows the stadium's undulating shape. The light-colored glass-fiber tissue emphasizes this effect, since its color creates a sense of depth and animation, and the translucent surface absorbs and reflects the effect of the existing daylight. At sunset, the stadium possesses a reddish glow, a blue one on a bright summer day and has a gray appearance on a stormy day in winter.

The stadium, designed to accommodate football and rugby games, provides seating for approximately 68,000 spectators, divided over three tiers. Of these seats, 1,800 are business seats and a further 1,500 are intended for VIP and press use. Thanks to their inclination, all seats possess excellent visibility of the field.

The interior of the stadium is designed in such a way that its entire focus is directed on the playing field, creating an intense and exciting atmosphere. The roof construction is a combination of a suspended roof with radial truss structure.

The undulating roof is outfitted with laminated safety glass elements and its interior is faced with a diaphanous membrane. Technical features are integrated into the space between the glass roofing and the membrane, such as acoustic and lighting systems. This space also provides protection from the weather and serves as a sound insulating volume.

The stadium, with its respectful reserve, is destined to become one of the city's landmark features. It will help to gentrify its direct surroundings around the Green Point Common and will function as an additional impetus for further positive developments in the adjoining urban structure, neighborhood and the entire urban fabric.

Wait, they're planning to build a roof over that? How? :blink:

I guess, the Construction engineers can explain that to you.

Not an entire roof. Obviously, just partial roofs or awnings -- probably over the 2 major long wings (a la Athens), i.e., when plans were afoot. But since Kansas is in tornado country (think "Wizard of Oz"), then it was probably deemed a futile effort.

Where are they at now with construction? Was that an older picture or a current one? Will it get finished in time for the World Cup?

on schedule for the FIFA inspection October 2009.

8 venues will be complete 1 year before june 2010.

5 venues by december 2008

8 venues by may 2009.

10 venues by october 2009.

This is a recent image of construction. The first tier will be complete by the end of april, second tier by end 2008, with the final tier by 2Q 2009, with the roof and facade completed by september 2009.

2279738859_ec35626e79_b.jpg

2333196661_a8979a0084_o.jpg

2271877864_277c91c8cf.jpg

Wa? You mean they're building 8 + 5 + 8 + 10 = 31 different stadiums?

If they can finish that Stadium by September 2009 (18 months from now) they can do the roof on BC Place in that time too.

No, not 31, thats just the number of total stadia completed by a certain date.

These are the completion dates:

Ellis Park - July 2008

Free State Stadium - August 2008

Loftus Versfeld - October 2008

Rustenburg - December 2008

Nelson Mandela Bay - March 2009

Mbombela - April 2009

Peter Mokaba - May 2009

Soccer City - May 2009

Durban - May-September 2009

Cape Town - October 2009

they were planning a rolling roog between arrowhead stadium and kauffman stadium but its financing was narrowly rejected by voters. with regard to how they will build it, i don't know.

That one and the new one in Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Field) look like huge barns. No personality, just cold, box architecture.

I second you Jamie. The design just seems very 90s to me. I also noticed that lucas oil also can be converted for use as a basketball arena.

Lucas_Oil_Field_3-559x351.jpg

This just looks awful. I'd hate to be towards the back of the seating section that is normally where the field is. There's virtually no slope! You'd just see a bunch of other spectators heads! God forbid an awesome moment arise and everyone stands up and cheers. You'd have to just look at the video screens to really see anything, might as well watch from home.

Oh well, it's not like I plan on attending a game (football or basketball) there anytime soon.

I second you Jamie. The design just seems very 90s to me. I also noticed that lucas oil also can be converted for use as a basketball arena.

Lucas_Oil_Field_3-559x351.jpg

This just looks awful. I'd hate to be towards the back of the seating section that is normally where the field is. There's virtually no slope! You'd just see a bunch of other spectators heads! God forbid an awesome moment arise and everyone stands up and cheers. You'd have to just look at the video screens to really see anything, might as well watch from home.

Maybe they'll lay out mats and they'd sit on the floor? :blink:

• 1 year later...

Archived