2020 Olympics - Where?

monorail

Of course. Everything bi-lateral, if its put together correctly (NOT that that's an assurance of feasibility/acceptability) should of course have agreements for all parties concerned. These days, an accredited NOC cannot put forward more than one candidate city portfolio in any Olympic Games year.

But you know, even if there were no Detroit-Windsor bid (which of course there won't be), Canada will probably hold off on a Toronto 2020 or 2024 bid because:

1. Vancouver is already hosting a Winter Games in 2 years' time (so that's Canada Olympic allotment for the 2nd decade of the century); and

2. if Chicago gets 2016, then that's it for a North American Summer Games for probably the next 6 Summer rounds.

Even if Toronto wanted to bid, (and assuming they've recently hosted the Pan-Am games, or made a serious bid about it), there's talk about the main stadium, where would it be? Where would other key venues be? There's some infrastructure, but most of it isn't there.

Oh and of course a Chicago win would just stop any Canadian bid attempt in it's tracks.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... in my point of view 2016 will be hosted in the Americas - therefore I believe will we have bids for 2020 from:

EUROPE:

Berlin (depends if Munich receives the honour to host 2018)

Istanbul

Madrid

Paris (depends if e.g. Annecy receives the honour to host 2018)

AFRICA:

Cape Town (depends on how successful the FIFA WC in 2010 will be)

ASIA:

Busan (depends if e.g. Pyeongchang receives the honour to host 2018)

Doha

Kuala Lumpur

Tokyo

AMERICAS:

Chicago, New York, San Francisco (depends if Rio de Janeiro hosts 2016)

Toronto (depends if Rio de Janeiro hosts 2016)

If Rio wins 2016, there goes your dream-3 candidates for 2020 out the window.

And Europe virtually always has a candidate put forward for every Games. And for 2020 they're likely to come out of the wood work for those Olympics, so it's definitely gonna be more than one bid. Several European cities have made some sort of intentions to bid for 2020. It'll most likely be like it was for 2012, where 6 out of the 9 applicants were European, & 4 of those 6 made it on to the short-list.

... in my point of view 2016 will be hosted in the Americas - therefore I believe will we have bids for 2020 from:

EUROPE:

Paris (depends if e.g. Annecy receives the honour to host 2018)

ASIA:

Doha

You think the FOC is going to put forward Annecy? France wants the Summer Games, not winter.

And you think Doha will try again? The IOC said they weren't interested. Unless Doha moves their dates (or does something drastic to really appeal to the IOC) they're just glutton for punishment.

And so you're thinking that Rio is getting 2016, huh.

You think the FOC is going to put forward Annecy? France wants the Summer Games, not winter.

The CNOSF might put forward a bid for 2018, for French internal politics if for nothing else. I suspect Grenoble will be the French applicant but I don't give any 2018 French bid any chance, neither does the CNOSF, which is precisely why it might put forward a bid (unlikely to hurt a future summer bid).

But maybe it would be wiser for France to actually seek a winter Games rather than a summer one.

I can perfectly picture Paris being defeated again, by Rome or Madrid for example, for the next European Games.

But maybe it would be wiser for France to actually seek a winter Games rather than a summer one.

But putting thru a bid for a 3rd French Winter Games in 50 years,just for the sake of bidding, seems utterly foolish. What would be the point -- internal politics or not? No NOC should use the international level to appease or pacify some political domestic conflict.

But putting thru a bid for a 3rd French Winter Games in 50 years,just for the sake of bidding, seems utterly foolish. What would be the point -- internal politics or not? No NOC should use the international level to appease or pacify some political domestic conflict.

Sure, like USOC thought NYC stood a chance for 2012 <_<

The CNOSF might put forward a bid for 2018, for French internal politics if for nothing else. I suspect Grenoble will be the French applicant but I don't give any 2018 French bid any chance, neither does the CNOSF, which is precisely why it might put forward a bid (unlikely to hurt a future summer bid).

I can perfectly picture Paris being defeated again, by Rome or Madrid for example, for the next European Games.

But what would happen if a French 2018 bid were to actually win? Wouldn't there be a possibility of it, afterall? I could see other European members vote for the French winter city simply to push Paris out of the way, so that their respective countries could put forth Summer bids without a very strong rival.

And why can you perfectly see Paris being defeated again? Do you think the IOC could reject them for a 4th time? That would really be a slap in the face to them if it came down to that. But then again, this is the IOC we're talking about.

But what would happen if a French 2018 bid were to actually win? Wouldn't there be a possibility of it, afterall? I could see other European members vote for the French winter city simply to push Paris out of the way, so that their respective countries could put forth Summer bids without a very strong rival.

And why can you perfectly see Paris being defeated again? Do you think the IOC could reject them for a 4th time? That would really be a slap in the face to them if it came down to that. But then again, this is the IOC we're talking about.

Paris versus Madrid would be interesting, and I certainly wouldn't rate Paris as a cert in a race between those two. After all, you'd have Madrid going for its third recent bid (and fourth overall if you go back to its 1972 bid), having never hosted before and with some excellent technical abilities and infrastructure, going up against Paris which might be a sentimental favourite, but having hosted twice before in its own right (not to mention three French winter games).

For the longest time, I thought that Paris was a sure thing for the next Euro-Summer Games, but with these new interesting POV's, I guess I was putting too much emphasis on them.

Jer also mentioned Rome. Wonder what his thoughts are on that. Looks like Paris is going to have a fight on their hands if they even want to try yet again.

Any 2018 French bid would have weaknesses:

• Grenoble, the applicant which would be consistent with the IOC recent taste for big cities for the Winter Games, has hosted not that long ago and, due to its geographical location, would present great challenge for transportation,
  • Gap is just too small and would rely on some Torino 2006 venues, which if not against the charter doesn't make an attractive bid,
  • Annecy would also be probably rather spread out, a la Albertville, which will not be attractive either

So, as long as you bid, there is always a chance to win but against the bidders or likely bidders (Munich, PC), I just don't see any of the three French cities coming out with a sexy proposal (I mean, sure Sochi was mostly virtual but damn sexy).

Sure, like USOC thought NYC stood a chance for 2012 <_<

Well, it sure did. What are you talking about? Of that list of 2012 cities, probably Tokyo was the only Alpha-male city missing. NYC was not put forward for some domestic dispute -- as you have intimated in your statement. It was a sincere offer to stage a Summer Games in a world-class city.

Why do you always twist my statement, jerk?

If Rio wins 2016, there goes your dream-3 candidates for 2020 out the window.

And Europe virtually always has a candidate put forward for every Games. And for 2020 they're likely to come out of the wood work for those Olympics, so it's definitely gonna be more than one bid. Several European cities have made some sort of intentions to bid for 2020. It'll most likely be like it was for 2012, where 6 out of the 9 applicants were European, & 4 of those 6 made it on to the short-list.

I haven't read all the updated posts to this topic, but if Rio does win 2016, I can assume that the USOC will want to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games. The bigger question is that whether it really wants to bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics, too. We can almost guess how some of us GB members here are going to say about that prospect. Besides, if Chicago does not win 2016, do you think it will try again?

The government there didn't even supported the 2010 YOG bid what makes you think they'll support an olympics bid ?

For 2020? Maybe, considering their goals of becoming a developed nation and having the Olympics as a sense of achievement. But for any other? Maybe, maybe not, I'd say 2020 is their only real shot for now.

The government there didn't even supported the 2010 YOG bid what makes you think they'll support an olympics bid ?

I thought as a Singaporean you have heard something called Wawasan 2020 ? A malaysian goverment project, that also the reason why they didn't support 2010 YOG, because they want to focus to 2020

I thought as a Singaporean you have heard something called Wawasan 2020 ? A malaysian goverment project, that also the reason why they didn't support 2010 YOG, because they want to focus to 2020

Wawasan 2020, that's it. Expect the Malaysian government to put in all the funding it can to promote the Olympic bid and build and improve venues to world class standard. Also expect the nation to try to gain more experience in hosting more international sporting events.

Yep, 2020 could possibly present a strong bid from Kuala Lumpur.

No, it won't.. or, almost surely not by Rome which I even doubt will bid for 2020.

Well, it sure did. What are you talking about? Of that list of 2012 cities, probably Tokyo was the only Alpha-male city missing. NYC was not put forward for some domestic dispute -- as you have intimated in your statement. It was a sincere offer to stage a Summer Games in a world-class city.

Why do you always twist my statement, jerk?

Why can't you have a proper discussion without resorting to name calling the exact second that someone states something that hasn't received Baron seal of approval?

I remain convinced that the USOC knew perfectly well that 2012 was most likely coming to Europe (the 2010 voting results being one clear clue), no matter how strong the US proposal was. And NYC selection over the other domestic candidates was at least partially the product of sentimental reason (remember how the USOC suddenly chose to change the rules forbidding the Bay Area bid to state the financial benefits USOC would get from selecting San Francisco just days before the USOC vote?).

(I know expect more name callings and "I hope Paris will never ever win the Games")

Archived