2020 Olympics - Where?

monorail

But see...that thing says INTO the city. My nightmare ride was from the Gare du Nord to CDG. And there were a thousand schedules posted all over the place...plus with my big suitcase and backpack, I didn't have the energy to go schlepping ALL OVER that huge station-- various levels WITHOUT escalators-- to find out about the express trains. Really a nightmare! Too many immigrants in France!!

Oh dear!

This is going to be a long night!

Baron. The train into the city is precisely the same one that goes to and from the Gare du Nord!

Even trains stop at all stations.

Uneven trains are shuttles.

Whether you're at CDG or GdN, they leave on the same platform. No schlepping to be done....

As far as immigrants are concerned, I'll leave you to your prejudices....

I hope Rome gets it!!!

It won't.

Too soon after Torino.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Istanbul can get it ..

2013 all the metro lines will be in place and will roll smoothly

now the phase to build the necessary venues for the generations to come

will leave a huge legacy ..

the venues plan will form the future infrastructure of the city

and will integrate every veneu with the transport infrastructure.

if we wont get 2020 Turkey will definitly go for 2024 because of its 101rst independence anniversary

Paris will be the best rival to compete with .. i'm looking towards to it .. it will be exciting ..

but not Rome .. Rome doesn't give me that adrenaline as Paris does .. ;)

It is a toss-up overall. It could be held anywhere other than South America, where Rio 2016 is. I will just wait for the official applicant cities list to see which ones are really interested in bidding for 2020.

Istanbul can get it ..

2013 all the metro lines will be in place and will roll smoothly

now the phase to build the necessary venues for the generations to come

will leave a huge legacy ..

the venues plan will form the future infrastructure of the city

and will integrate every veneu with the transport infrastructure.

if we wont get 2020 Turkey will definitly go for 2024 because of its 101rst independence anniversary

Paris will be the best rival to compete with .. i'm looking towards to it .. it will be exciting ..

but not Rome .. Rome doesn't give me that adrenaline as Paris does .. ;)

Fatix, care to tell us one and all who is going to be the key member of the IOC (preferably at the executive board level) who is going to be the lynch pin of any potential Istanbul bid for 2020? Plus can the Turkish Olympic team win more medals across a wider spread of sports in London 2012, with a systematic program of developing Turkish Olympic sports participation between 2012 and 2020?

Sad to say without these two fundamental attributes as part of any Istanbul bid the 2020 SOGs will be out of reach again. You cannot expect Istanbul to win a race against the likes of Rome, Tokyo or Durban (if they all nominate) when no one from Turley's NOC or associated sporting authorities holds any power within the IOC, or the Turkish Olympic team is only capable of picking up a couple of medals across 2 or 3 sports. The city might be attractive in terms of history, beauty and infrastructure but you need to have big names in the upper echelons of the IOC coupled to major sporting success at past and future games to stand a chance.

PS Like the logos, particularly that for Dubai...

Rome remains the favourite but I'm struggling to see how it will be chosen over Durban come 2013. If its a case of Europe vs. Africa in the final round, it will be closer than Rio Madrid but barring Durban failing to make the shortlist, which I highly doubt, and it lobbies reasonably well, I don't see Rome winning it.

The biggest risk to a Durban bid is

1. a horrific 2011 when the IOC is in town

2. More European bidders

3. More bids in general

4. Its profile.

Is it becoming easier by the day?

Rome remains the favourite but I'm struggling to see how it will be chosen over Durban come 2013. If its a case of Europe vs. Africa in the final round, it will be closer than Rio Madrid but barring Durban failing to make the shortlist, which I highly doubt, and it lobbies reasonably well, I don't see Rome winning it.

2. More European bidders

3. More bids in general

4. Its profile.

Is it becoming easier by the day?

Rome caNNOT follow Rio -- Baron's Alpha-Olym-betic Rules of Succession!!

Fatix, care to tell us one and all who is going to be the key member of the IOC (preferably at the executive board level) who is going to be the lynch pin of any potential Istanbul bid for 2020? Plus can the Turkish Olympic team win more medals across a wider spread of sports in London 2012, with a systematic program of developing Turkish Olympic sports participation between 2012 and 2020?

Sad to say without these two fundamental attributes as part of any Istanbul bid the 2020 SOGs will be out of reach again. You cannot expect Istanbul to win a race against the likes of Rome, Tokyo or Durban (if they all nominate) when no one from Turley's NOC or associated sporting authorities holds any power within the IOC, or the Turkish Olympic team is only capable of picking up a couple of medals across 2 or 3 sports. The city might be attractive in terms of history, beauty and infrastructure but you need to have big names in the upper echelons of the IOC coupled to major sporting success at past and future games to stand a chance.

PS Like the logos, particularly that for Dubai...

eusebius65,

Thanx for your observations,

In Turkey there has been made a national program too boost up those elements where you spoke of. It began (parallell) in the year of (05/12)2004 in Malesia where the Turkish Basketball Federations won the bid with 1 vote over that of France fot the Fiba world cup. This program has several segments to build up a strong sportsmen legacy for the years to come and not to fall down back as spain or greece did after their olympic organizations.

- Whole the 81 regions are inspected for different reasons by groups of professional sportsmen

* The identify wich sport is in the region, wich sport can be out or wich sport can be implemented there

* Regional gemas were set in Anatolia (in the year of 2001)and were the new generations were catogorized in wich sports were be growers there or not, and also the pick up a list of thousands of children to make establish a national social sport program with and toghether with the families, how to improve venues and directioning those new generations to come. (annually)

* A professional team from the USA was invited sveral times to inspect all the Turkish Sports Federations and took several pictures of how they could improve in their action to become more professional. This is made for about the 62 excisting sports as it included also non-olympic sports.

- Meanwhile there are at this moment more than 15 Turkish men and women who are systematically worked hard for lobbying to become members of several international Spors Federations, as for example the president of the internatinal archery Federation is (a Turk and is) re-chosen. Wrestling, Weightlifting, Arhery, .. so far as I followed the news around it; Cycling, Cano, Tennis, Judo, Teakwondo, Basketball, Volleyball, Athletics .. but swimming and gymnastics are still a big problem in representing them in the highest federations, as we get a few medals now in those two important branches.

The Turkish Olympic Medal History has one positive point (here is) is that the most medals gain by Turkish Sportsmen was back in 1948(again) in London with about 12 medals (all wrestling - included 1 bronze for Triple Jump) .. Now whole these programs and a lot of more are focused just for London 2012. after 50 years we want to do our best with whole the Nation to increase those medals AND the Olympic Movement in whole the country as the economical statistics are doing the top in whole the TUrkish History.

The National Program is set as it follows, just simple:

- To establish everyting in Londong 2012 (more medals than 12 between 15-22 and more sports branches)

- To represent Turkey in every group sports by Rio 2016 and (equalling) increasing the medals till (about) 25-28

- To finalize this program in Istanbul 2020 or 2024 by increasing this every sport and increase of medals 30 or more

If the Turkish National Olympic Program would fail in some of years or all of them, than the only legacy will be all the work and efforts that have been made for/to develope the true Olympic movement and spirit in whole the country, so Turkey would be a real spors country on the map.

My only intention and dream is actually a "Bicontinental Games" .. after that I can die in happyness. That is also the driven force in my own Olympic excitement. I think that I am the only Turkish citizen in the world (maybe) who wants to learn of every sport, sport organizations that are wildly strange for Turks; eg. Commonwealth Games. (as I think that Turkey should compete in those games, but that's a discussion on the commi threat.)

So I hope that I could have give an answer (maybe not whole of answers) to your good questions. Thanx that you like my dubai logo.)

:) Best regards, fatix

In Turkey there has been made a national program too boost up those elements where you spoke of. It began (parallell) in the year of (05/12)2004 in Malesia where the Turkish Basketball Federations won the bid with 1 vote over that of France fot the Fiba world cup.

I forgot to mention one thing, as we lost with 1 vote to France the Euro 2016 organizations, as it was the best ever bid (3rd time).

But now we now that 2020 EURO organizations will be for 99% on Turkish soil. If so, The Olympic Bid could go trough for 2024. In expation of different bids and different levels of spors organizations.

best regards | fatix

2. More European bidders

3. More bids in general

4. Its profile.

I would think more European bidders would work in Durban's favor, in which it would split the European votes & most likely allowing Durban to advance easier. The only thing I see in that list possibly hindering Durban's chances greatly is #1. Other than that, Durban would have to screw it up themselves to sink their bid.

2. More European bidders

3. More bids in general

4. Its profile.

1. Not likely unless several IOC members suffer from street violence.

2. There will be, but I also think the more European bidders, the more likely is Durban to get 2020.

3. Tokyo? Again, the more bids, the better for Durban.

4. Offer the IOC members luxurious hotels near the beach and they will be very happy. This could even apply to Abuja (if there were beached there). Although after Atlanta 1996, they have always chosen well known cities, and I'd say Durban is not that famous.

BTW, in hypothetical Durban vs. Madrid, Durban vs. Rome and Madrid vs. Rome final rounds, which city do you think would be more likely to win in each of them?

BTW, in hypothetical Durban vs. Madrid, Durban vs. Rome and Madrid vs. Rome final rounds, which city do you think would be more likely to win in each of them?

My picks in bold: Durban vs. Madrid, Durban vs. Rome, Madrid vs. Rome

Just to be clear I've nothing against the city (or the country, for that matter), but Durban still seems weak to me at this point. Probably too early to make informed opinions, I guess.

My picks in bold: Durban vs. Madrid, Durban vs. Rome, Madrid vs. Rome

Just to be clear I've nothing against the city (or the country, for that matter), but Durban still seems weak to me at this point. Probably too early to make informed opinions, I guess.

All that will change come August 2011.

I forgot to mention one thing, as we lost with 1 vote to France the Euro 2016 organizations, as it was the best ever bid (3rd time).

But now we now that 2020 EURO organizations will be for 99% on Turkish soil. If so, The Olympic Bid could go trough for 2024. In expation of different bids and different levels of spors organizations.

best regards | fatix

All sounds positive but as every major bidder who has either come first or second in recent contests for SOGs or OWGs has had a major player within the IOC's upper echelons there is still a big hole at the core of any future Istanbul bid. Ugul Erdner (current and sole Turkish IOC member) only joined the membership in 2008 and there is no one in Istanbul's corner like Samaranch was for Madrid, Princess Anne for London, Havelange for Rio, Smirnov for Sochi or He for Beijing. No patron who can hang out with the big boys and girls at congress time means no Olympics.

A bit of a shame in some ways...would be an intriguing event for Byzantium to finally get the nod :P

With regards to European bidders, referring I think mainly to the applicant phase.

Rome

and some other strong European bidders puts Durban at risk in the applicant phase but I think the IOC would even let 6 cities go through, if Durban was the ranked sixth

The number of candidate cities is not set in advance.

If all of the applicant cities meet the benchmark at the end of phase 1, then they will all move on.

It's not rocket science that the main challenge for Durban (or any other South-African city) will be to make it to the candidate city stage. From there, it's all about lobbying and story telling and South-Africa will have an easy task in that.

We all know that the challenge with Durban will be to illustrate in a convincing way how they can overcome their lack of accommodation and how their transport infrastructure will be able to cope with the Games.

But that's a good point. I mean, even if all the applicant cities were well prepared for the Games, would the IOC choose all of them as candidates? I think no one would like the voting with more than 6 cities, maybe 7, but 8 seem too much for me.

With cities like Rome (the only city we know will be bidding officially), Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul, Budapest, St. Petersburg (?) and some other bidders that are likely to be technically better than Durban, South Africa might have it difficult to have a candidate city for 2020.

The number of candidate cities is not set in advance.

If all of the applicant cities meet the benchmark at the end of phase 1, then they will all move on.

It's not rocket science that the main challenge for Durban (or any other South-African city) will be to make it to the candidate city stage. From there, it's all about lobbying and story telling and South-Africa will have an easy task in that.

We all know that the challenge with Durban will be to illustrate in a convincing way how they can overcome their lack of accommodation and how their transport infrastructure will be able to cope with the Games.

Of course its not set in advance, the "benchmark" is but the IOC doesn't want too many cities in the candidature phase, and its also not going to kick Durban out if its on 5.8, it wil make an adjustment.

Rio's transport scores were clearly adjusted.

Of course its not set in advance, the "benchmark" is but the IOC doesn't want too many cities in the candidature phase,

Exactly. That's Y the short-list process was introduced for the 2002 Winter Games to begin with. Because too many cities were starting to apply.

It would seem like an oxymoron if 11 cities applied per se (like there were for the 2004 Games), & simply because all of them made the "benchmark" that they'd ALL go through. Doha 2016 can absolutely attest that it doesn't work out that way.

Benchmarks serve a purpose in making sure applicants meet a minimum set of standards.

But short lists serve a purpose of eliminating effort from applicants you have absolutely no interest in.

It is the same process you see in architecture, design contests, online dating, politics, and the Olympic Games.

Archived