2020 Olympics - Where?

monorail

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we come up with a master list of all the interested cities for 2020???

Have any cities announced their intentions for bidding for these Olympics yet?

I'm sure there are many users on this board who are well informed or have some type of idea which cities are interested in getting these games.

hmmmm

Those countries don't have the resources that Beijing had, they wouldn't be able to spend 43 billion dollars to host this event.

these cities dont need to spend 43 billion usd for olympics :)

istanbul has already spend 5 billion every year for infrastructure and host 2010 world basketball champ, 2011-13 wta champ, 2011 indoor athletics world champ.

cape town will host 2010 world soccer cup

rio had pan am games

Birmingham is continuing it's push to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The mayor down here is absolutley CRAZY :blink: !!! He says if we don't get the olympics, we'll bid for the youth games, if we don't get those, we'll go for the pan ams. These next 8 years look to be very entertaining. Meanwhile. Viva la Birmingham!!!! 2020

Birmingham is continuing it's push to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The mayor down here is absolutley CRAZY :blink: !!! He says if we don't get the olympics, we'll bid for the youth games, if we don't get those, we'll go for the pan ams. These next 8 years look to be very entertaining. Meanwhile. Viva la Birmingham!!!! 2020

<i.In Southerner accent:</i>Why, it appears, I say it appears that your Mayor is taking the backwards approach, bid for the glory of the Summer Olympics, when that fails, then go for the Summer Youth Games, when that fails, then the Pan Ams. What next? When the Pan Am Games bid fails, then you go for an Athletics Championships? :P

For veterans in telling where the games will go, the strongest bids etc. I am really suprise at some of the suggestion I have heard here so far. Firstly, some people are bent on the idea that Chicago is defiately taking home the games in 2016, but how will this be possible when they havent even planned an OLYMPIC STADIUM!! Isn't that the reason why Patis and New York lost their bids in 2012, they didn't have solid plans for brand new stadia and that is what the IOC want. They want to be dazzled by brand new shiny stadia and the works. Even without this into consideration, Tokyo, Madrid and Rio have better offers and more tempting plans than Chicago. The games in my eyes, are as good as Tokyo's, they seem to have a water tight bid and are offering brand new stadia and also the IOC has seen what Asia can do - Beijing 2008.

Now if Tokyo does win 2016, then 2020 is definately going to NA. The USA will be iching to throw a bigger opeing than China and the Canadians want it bad, don't forget Mexico, we can't under estimate them. Europe would also have very strong bids from Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Paris and Istanbul. Then you have the Aussie's down under who want to host the games too, not forgeting our Brazilian friends and South American buddies. SO as you can see the 2020 games are going to be packed.

So all this hype that the games will go to Africa is really laughable. Even if South Africa throws the most exceptional WC ever, which I highly doubt, 2010 would be average to good, Cape Town and other African cities including Cairo, Nairobi, Lagos and the rest have no chance when the big guns show their faces.

So in my opinion, this is how it wold look:

Realistic winners of 2020 if Tokyo wins 2016:

Chicago 2020 or LA 2020 (A huge American city anyways)

Toronto 2020

Berlin 2020 (Again depending on Munich's bid, which I am pretty sure wouldn't win)

Rome 2020

Madrid 2020

Paris 2020

Instanbul 2020

Rio 2020

Brisbane 2020 (Or another Australian city)

The others:

Cape Town 2020 (Maybe some more African city)

Dubia 2020

In the end, I can see a NA city taking it

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

teh organisation prepared better than atlanta and athens even better than sydney...

china opens the road for developing countires of olympics.. isnt it clear...

and by the way Brazil Turkey will be one of the biggest economies in 2020. not need to mention about india and china :)

a veteran would know Patis had a solid plan. To be honest your views scream noob.

He said a solid plan for brand new stadiums. Paris had a solid plan but there wasn't a brand new stadium at the centre of it. That was his point.

teh organisation prepared better than atlanta and athens even better than sydney...

china opens the road for developing countires of olympics.. isnt it clear...

No, it's not at all clear. Tell me which "developing countries" could spend £40bn on an Olympics; the sort of sum most would be looking at when you factor in new airports, roads, bridges etc? Using Beijing is a 'model' for developing countries is kind of irresponsible.

He said a solid plan for brand new stadiums. Paris had a solid plan but there wasn't a brand new stadium at the centre of it. That was his point.

No, it's not at all clear. Tell me which "developing countries" could spend £40bn on an Olympics; the sort of sum most would be looking at when you factor in new airports, roads, bridges etc? Using Beijing is a 'model' for developing countries is kind of irresponsible.

as i told u İstanbul has an endless budget which our parlemento gives right for it with a law...

bazil can spend it too.. if u calculate it 7 billion dollars for a year for 7 years is not so big

I think Delhi really has a good chance hosting the 2020 games....Delhi is spending nearly 20 billion USD for the commonwealth games, and India will be among the top 3 economies by then...and India can flex its arms when it comes to spending...the only bad side is india s sporting record.

but with political clout and backing from maybe China, Uk and maybe US if it gets Chicago for 2016.

another point:

developing countries don't need to spend the amounts London 2012 is spending. olympic projects in London would literally be less than half the cost in South Africa. Assuming the all inclusive London cost is at 9bn pounds. Cape Town could replicate the plan for about 3.5bn pounds. Thats not completely excessive considering spending of just under 2bn pounds on our central city alone pre 2010.

As a further example a temporary olympic stadium ala London 2012 would at most cost 150m pounds rather than 550m pounds.

South Africa is building a permanent 40,000 seat world cup venue that meets all FIFA requirements for under 70m pounds.

totally off topic, the london olympic stadium roof will be fabric...mmmm...projections ala Beijing on the roof! and possibly on the facade. i hear they're all the rage.

how about one entire scene using only volunteers from neighbourhoods arond the olympic park. that where leona lewis , i keep bleeding love was found and look at her now. replacing poor heather small to sing proud at the beijing closing.

im so full of ideas tonight :)

you do of course know that the scroll during the opening ceremony will close during the beijing closing ceremony and be passed onto London 2012. London 2012 will add their flavour to the scroll by projecting suitable images onto the scroll i.e. hoodie wearing east london youth spraying grafitti onto it. BECAUSE thats what the youth of today do apart from listen to leona bleeding .

The olympic flame will be put out as follows. The fire will travel from the cauldron into the scroll using an atlanta 1996 and athens 2004 cable thingy. The scroll will then close extinguising the flame.

a veteran would know Patis had a solid plan. To be honest your views scream noob.

"Isn't that the reason why Patis and New York lost their bids in 2012, they didn't have solid plans for brand new stadia and that is what the IOC want."

I never said 'Patis' didn't have a solid plan, if you read carefully, you wold notice I clearly stated, it didn't have a solid plan for brand new stadia. And let me apologise, to you without fault making a mistake in my spelling of Paris, I am clearly a noob who doesn't know how to spell the French capital city.

Anyways, are you really going to deny that fact? Truth is without plans for new stadia, the IOC is not very interested. Paris was obviously capable of hosting one of the most spectacular games yet but the fact it was using leftover stadia from France '98 surely pissed the IOC and cost them their bid.

Archived