Top Clubs Consider Overseas Games

Rob.

So you're saying you would turn your back on the domestic league of Nigeria in favour of watching an odd English Premier League game? That is precisely the negative impact that I'm talking about. It's no wonder so many nations and confederations have already come out against this idea when you're displaying exactly the sort of reaction that they're worried about.

The mind is offen realistic about the levels it can get to. Then, what happen to those beyond? The world would react to any unanimously open general thoughts, that is the case of many nations and confederations. Craig Venter was almost deemed bad why trying to map whole human genes so early. What happened when he succeeded? That's human general percetion, you know.

This should be a great change to many countries who have English premier league fans in great numbers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the relevance in that? I don't see any and I wonder if anyone else will. You appear totally ignorant to the people who really matter in this, the English based supporters, so there seems little point in trying to make you see sense any further.

Where is the relevance in that? I don't see any and I wonder if anyone else will. You appear totally ignorant to the people who really matter in this, the English based supporters, so there seems little point in trying to make you see sense any further.

Ok but,you seemed not to get my point and am so surprised for that. The game is not leaving out the English supporters at all but how viable the game could be to the international fans is what is being considered here. Am not stupid , Arwebb. Maybe you can't just see that area in the concept. I would like to ask you this question, where were the supporters when the whole thing was falling apart? Why would you want to pipe out louder this time when you know that your club is not really doing its home work as it should?

All that been said, this international idea is no way going to cause any harm to the home supporters. If they don't like the idea they should go to hell, that's is it. :blink:

Ok but,you seemed not to get my point and am so surprised for that. The game is not leaving out the English supporters at all but how viable the game could be to the international fans is what is being considered here. Am not stupid , Arwebb. Maybe you can't just see that area in the concept. I would like to ask you this question, where were the supporters when the whole thing was falling apart? Why would you want to pipe out louder this time when you know that your club is not really doing its home work as it should?

All that been said, this international idea is no way going to cause any harm to the home supporters. If they don't like the idea they should go to hell, that's is it. :blink:

If that's the attitude you take you don't deserve to see Premier League matches in your country James becuase guess what, it's us English fans who, through paying high ticket prices and supporting our clubs every week, are helping to pay for their potential trips abroad. I'm sorry, but if the FA and the Premier League take your attitude it will be the end of football in England!

I'm not as hostile to the idea of international games as Arwebb is (in fact I think it could be quite good if done properly, althought I abhore the 39th game plan) but you cannot go ahead with something like this and bulldoze through everyone and everything in your way because that's a sure-fire way of putting people off the beautiful game.

If this is done it needs to be done proprerly and not affect the integrity of the league in any way. I'd like to think that is possible, but if not, and if English fans and FIFA cannot be convinced by a well thought-through and detailed plan (the 39th game is not one of those!) then it should be dropped.

On further reflection I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that a proposal of this nature could work if done properly. However, that does not, in any way, lessen my opposition on principal to this idea and reading the ignorance and arrogance of James' post, which doesn't entirely surprise me seeing as he's alluded to it often enough, only serves to reinforce my belief that my view is right. You ignore your core fanbase at your peril, James. Forget that and you will pay a heavy penalty.

On further reflection I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that a proposal of this nature could work if done properly. However, that does not, in any way, lessen my opposition on principal to this idea and reading the ignorance and arrogance of James' post, which doesn't entirely surprise me seeing as he's alluded to it often enough, only serves to reinforce my belief that my view is right. You ignore your core fanbase at your peril, James. Forget that and you will pay a heavy penalty.

There's no penalty to it from the concept is well administered. You guys can read any other meanings to it if you like. By the time the whole thing is finalized with FIFA(so much the hurdle) and the FA( that is blaming that on its inability to grow) you will understand what am talkin' about.

Yes! Am quite ignorant and very arrogant. Remember to bear in mind that not all these sides you are talking are going to boost the local league. Am not using glasses yet, meaning, I can see just as the way you can.

Well, it looks like FIFA will scupper the plan anyway:

39th game would sink World Cup bid — Blatter

Speaking for the first time since the Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, unveiled plans for “Game 39”, Sepp Blatter said the proposal would be opposed by FIFA’s executive committee when it meets next month. By Paul Kelso.

The FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, delivered a devastating blow to the Premier League’s plans for an international round, dismissing the proposals as “an abuse of association football” that could cost England any chance of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Speaking for the first time since the Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, unveiled plans for “Game 39”, Blatter said the proposal would be opposed by FIFA’s executive committee when it meets next month. The FIFA president said he would also instruct national associations to reject any approach from the Premier League to host matches, a move that would kill off the proposal as games cannot take place abroad without the support of local associations.

Blatter delivered a withering critique of Scudamore’s plan, describing it as unacceptable, hypocritical and claiming that to go ahead would bring football into disrepute. “This is definitely abuse of association football,” Blatter said. “The Premier League says it is the best league in the world but then it should act with more responsibility.

“To try and have additional exposure and revenue by expanding the league around the world, I think this is not acceptable. It will not be acceptable to the FIFA executive committee, I am sure. We have already heard from two presidents of confederations (UEFA’s Michel Platini and Asia’s Mohamed bin Hammam) and, if I went through the different press coverage, I have not seen a lot of support.”

Blatter said any attempt to press ahead with the plan in defiance of FIFA would scupper England’s chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup, which will be decided by a ballot of the 24 executive committee members. “If you go against the authority of FIFA and the executive committee, then you cannot expect them to be in your favour later on,” he said.

“England will not be the only World Cup bid. So, if Mr Scudamore says that (it will help 2018), let him say it. I will not deny chances to any of the candidates for 2018, but I cannot imagine that when you go against the deciding body for the decision on the World Cup that you will enhance your chances. It will not be diplomatic.”

The comments present a fundamental obstacle to the international round. Scudamore said from the outset that FIFA sanction was a prerequisite but Blatter insisted he would repeat his critique when the pair meet this month.

The manner in which the proposal was made public has put relations under strain, with Blatter offended that the Premier League had not informed him ahead of the announcement. Scudamore was appointed to FIFA’s strategy council last year but that seat may now be in doubt.

The Football Association formally began communications with the Premier League and FIFA over the issue.

“So far as I know from the FA in London, we have not received any official message. We have not been contacted before by the league to ask us what we think of this idea. You speak about rude but I think it is irresponsible,” Blatter said.

The FIFA president’s verdict comes at the end of a week of largely negative comment from those inside football. Supporters’ groups are opposed and several managers have come out in opposition. Rafa Benitez has joined them, calling the 39th game “uncompetitive”. The reaction from the FA and the government has been more guarded but Blatter’s threat to the World Cup bid is likely to cause alarm in Downing Street and Soho Square.

Don't think we've heard the last of this, because we haven't. We're going to be talking about this for months and the longer it goes on, I increasingly feel it will do the 2018 bid some damage. It may not be insurmountable, but it will certainly set us back.

FIFA are ever-so-slightly hypocriticial when you think about it though.

Man Utd were sent, at FIFA's request, to the first World Club Championships to ensure we didn't get on the wrong side of the world governing body in the run up to our 2006 WC bid. Man Utd, who were the FA Cup winners the previous season were therefore unable to defend their trophy and the FA Cup has remained tarnished ever since.

So, although I hope FIFA have a hand in destroying the 39th game idea, I don't think they necessarily can claim to always have our best interests at heart.

Don't think we've heard the last of this, because we haven't. We're going to be talking about this for months and the longer it goes on, I increasingly feel it will do the 2018 bid some damage. It may not be insurmountable, but it will certainly set us back.

Why draw some hypothesis to it when we know the best the outcome could be? If we should consider the best it might boost the English premier league earnings also give the lower division high home fans the premier league used to have thereby creating a balance in the home league.

Why did you feel it will do the 2018 bid some damage? to what level do you think the damage will be done to set English clubs backward ? Are some questions I would really like you to answer for me. I felt if anything is going to affect your 2018 bid from any area it's going to be coming in from FIFA. So, can we say then FIFA is transparent when it likely happens that way? No! I believe FIFA has the right to question what's happenin' to the English premier league but not to everythin' that would matter meaning so well for its growth rather on the line of international matches idea.

Already, a nice competition is preconceived between FIFA and English premier league here. Most of us might not have seen that yet.

Don't remind me. Lucky losers and all that nonsense.

Lol!hahahaha...

So, you can not argue something without gettin' annoyed? Hahaha...! Get annoyed mister!

Did you actually read those posts before writing a completely irrelevant and nonsensical reply? It sure looks as though you didn't.

I did. I was just playin' with you.

I consider it a way of exposure to the English premier league and, if done, it should be for the very first time in any where in the world. That's, history has been made.

I consider Manchester United's participation in that waste of time as a stain on English football and a blow from which the world's greatest domestic cup competition has yet to fully recover.

that seems to be an exaggeration. That was a few years ago, the English Cup is still regarded highly.

It's not as big as it used to be though.

Certainly the fixture Man Utd v Arsenal would have had a lot more media coverage if it were an EPL game. I'm not sure that would have been the case a couple of decades ago.

I think the idea of giving the FA Cup Winners a place in the Champions League is an idea worth exploring. If the team that wins finishes in the top 3 in the EPL, then the Champions League place goes to 4th in the league. Maybe, maybe not.

that seems to be an exaggeration. That was a few years ago, the English Cup is still regarded highly.

By whom, though? There is no way that it is seen in the same way that it was even 10 years ago by Premier League clubs in particular.

You say "by Premier League clubs in particular" but I don't think that's quite right. Clubs who are challenging for the top spots or against relegation in all leagues have regarded the FA Cup as a burden for a while now: I've heard managers in lower leagues who are trying to get their clubs into the play-offs admitting as much.

I know my club has always taken the FA Cup seriously and continues to do so. I'd like to think that's because our cup pedigree compells us to, but it could be equally true that Spurs, as a mid-table side for the last fifteen years, have had nothing else to really fight for (or against).

If you were making those comments about the League Cup, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I don't think they apply to the same extent when the FA Cup is at issue. More so than ever, either staying in or getting into the Premier League is the single most important priority for a large number of clubs. For the very top clubs, the FA Cup is important, but only behind Europe and the Premier League. And, sadly, clubs in the lower leagues increasingly look at the FA Cup as a chance to have a big day out at one of the big clubs and make a few quid into the bargain. I'm a great believer that a good cup run can transfer itself to league form. Just look at us this season. I just don't feel that the romance is there like it used to be.

Lol. As an Arsenal fan, I guess you could say I loved it especially see how our London rival lost badly to a division club

I think the FA semifinalist lineup is a clear example of why Platini's rule of allowing cup winner to play in the CL should not be implemented. Would you have prefer to see 'Barnsey Vs Real Madrid' or 'Portsmouth Vs Inter' ?

If they earnt their place that'd be fair enough. Calling it the "Champions League" is already a lie anyway.

And anyway, that's a stupid argument in some ways. This will be the first year in 15 years or so that a member of the 'big 4' (eurgh, I feel dirty) hasn't won the FA Cup. So having Barnsley v Inter, for example, would be such a rare event; and wouldn't it be great for the game to have something like that happen once a decade or so?

Using this year as an argument against implemting such a scheme borders on scaremongering.

I'm not saying I'm all for it but I think giving the FA Cup winners a place in the CL is worth considering, if only to break up the cartel at the top. I can see the problems with it, but having an occassional minow enter is not one of them; in fact for me that could be a really big selling-point.

Archived