F1 2008

I didn't see the race either but apparently the instant reaction from the commentators was that it wasn't the Torro Rosso driver's fault. I'm kind of bored with the nonsense surrounding penalties this season.

It's got silly because there has been such inconsistency in the application of the rules, both this year and last. The FIA only has itself to blame, I'm afraid.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

French Grand Prix cancelled

"The board of directors of the French motor sport federation have announced in Paris that they are not going to hold a French Grand Prix in 2009 because of economic problems. The FFSA has been promoting the event for some years but does not believe that it is possible to hold the race in 2009 without making a financial loss and as the club does not have huge financial resources it is not possible to take that risk."

Link

Now that the French have dropped their own F1 will Canadian one return ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/7672931.stm

This may happen as Prime Minister Harper had sent a message to the FIA via his finance minister that they would like to talk about the Canadian Grand Prix and supporting it Financially. This was Monday right before the Federal Election on Tuesday. the Prime Minister was returned to the Government side of the House with a good election Victory but just shy of a majority government . The Majority Government was spoiled by the Conservatives lack of gains in Seats in the Province of Quebec. Whether the sentiment by Stephen Harper is still on the Table is questionable . The 20 million dollar annual race guarantee Bernie wants is a drop in the bucket compared to the money the Tories put into Quebec in the last two years ranging in the Billions of Dollars. The Grand Prix is much more symbolic and only a federal party in power like the Tories could pull this off unlike the Quebec Separtist Party the "Bloc Quebecquos" who have no check writing authority. Harper only needs 12 seats for a majority government and this gesture could dislodge the required seats in Quebec which the Bloc have 50 seats.

The Conservatives in Canada were posed , with poll numbers in Quebec, to take a majority 28 days ago for this weeks election . What changed in Quebec was the introduction of policies Harper planned to bring in if re-elected . 45 million dollars was to be cut from Arts and Culture and the youth criminal justice sentencing was to be strengthened. The Arts and Culture policy killed the Tory numbers in Quebec but no other province. Another election will come either next year of the year after with this minority government and Harper can offer the option of funding the Grand Prix in Montreal to make up for the Arts and Culture Cuts he will impose. Montreal and surrounding areas have the seats Harper would need to have a totally free hand with a majority.

20 million in Quebec could certainly do a great deal more then the funding put into Halifax, Nova Scotia which has gotten huge amounts of money from the Harper Tories without any change in the fortunes of the Tories there and Little possibility of change in favor of the Tories. The funding of the Grand Prix by Harper is minor compared with the commonwealth games bid Halifax was pursuing. If Eccelstone upped the fees Harper could easily cancel the deal or potentially leave it to the next government . The Commonwealth Games well no one cares in Canada for the Games really and it costs way too much for the Value in North America. The Grand Prix 85 million to the Montreal Economy without much in infrastructure investment of operating costs. The Exposure of course cannot be compared.

jim jones

Jim Jones

Lewis Hamilton has moved to the brink of the world title with a commanding victory in the Chinese Grand Prix.

The McLaren driver dominated the race at Shanghai while his title rival Felipe Massa was handed second place by Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.

Link

I've rarely been so pleased to watch such a boring race!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Stirling Moss believes Donnington Park will not be ready to host the British Grand Prix in 2010 and thinks Silverstone should retain the race.

The Northamptonshire track is due to host its last race next year before Donnington takes over.

"I don't think Donnington is capable of holding it because it's a tremendous change," Moss told BBC Northampton.

"Silverstone can cope with it, it's greatly improved. The drivers like it and it's quite exciting there."

The four-time Formula One runner-up added: "I'm hoping that it will happen and it would be good for all of us."

On the subject of Donnington Park Moss said: "Have they even got planning permission yet?

"I doubt that and to get it done it's very difficult.

"I think you'll find that when it comes to it there won't be anywhere else it can go other than to another country.

"England is so important in motor racing. We have so many drivers and cars, so many parts and we manufacture a lot of cars here too," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7695738.stm

--------

It's the bit in italics which worries me. Moss understands the sport and what the British GP means - he says that as though it could never happen. Unfortunately, it could quite easily.

Hey aren't you proud of the Black Man from England !!! His Grandfather the School bus Driver in Grenada must love this. I thought Hamilton was choking in the last lap and I was thinking OH NO.

It would be something if Obama wins the election . somehow I have a feeling he will either win by a landslide or McCain will have the Bradley effect work for him to take the presidency in a close election .

Jim Jones

Probably the most dramatic thing I've seen in 20 years of watching sport. I thought it had gone for him, and I suspect most people watching had done as well. Absolutely incredible.

You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel for Massa. He drove a fabulous race from lights to flag, did everything he could possibly do and had it taken away from him in the last few hundred yards. That must be the worst feeling in the world.

Probably the most dramatic thing I've seen in 20 years of watching sport. I thought it had gone for him, and I suspect most people watching had done as well. Absolutely incredible.

I know, I don't believe it. In my many years of watching sport I haven't seen anything that dramatic and last gasp since, well, Wednesday!!!

:P

But seriously, how good was that?!

You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel for Massa. He drove a fabulous race from lights to flag, did everything he could possibly do and had it taken away from him in the last few hundred yards. That must be the worst feeling in the world.

Massa is a true sportsman and I hope he comes back just as strong next season. Well done to him for helping make 2008 such a great season!

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton to race Hoy at Wembley

Britain's triple Olympic cycling gold medallist Chris Hoy is to compete in a man versus machine race against Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton at Wembley.

Hamilton, 23, will drive a Mercedes road car at the Race of Champions event on 14 December while Hoy will race his bike round the twisty circuit.

"It's going to special, the atmosphere is going to be crazy," said Hamilton.

"To see 80,000 fans for the first time since becoming world champion will be a great way to end a fantastic year."

Hoy won sprint, keirin and team sprint gold medals in Beijing to become the first Briton to win three gold medals at the same Games for 100 years.

And while the 32-year-old knows he will struggle to match the acceleration of the Mercedes, he hopes the tight and twisty track may prove a leveller.

"I can kick out about two-and-a-half brake horsepower so that's not going to quite match his car but I think they'll make the race as close as possible and I'll be giving it absolutely everything. I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

Hamilton, who became the youngest driver to win the Formula One world title this year, will also perform a demonstration run in his McLaren F1 car.

The duo will then head for Liverpool to take part in the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year awards ceremony later in the evening.

The Race of Champions event sees competitors from various strands of motorsport race against each other in a range of cars around a parallel two-lane track.

Germany's seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, France's four-time World Rally champion Sébastien Loeb, Britain's triple World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx and Australia's triple Superbike world champion Troy Bayliss head the list of competitors.

British Formula One drivers David Coulthard, who retired this season, and Jenson Button are also racing.

_45215719_hamilton_hoy226.jpg

0JSHCI2P--400x280.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7734829.stm

--------

What a brilliant way of rounding off a great year of British sport.

Hamilton to race Hoy at Wembley

Britain's triple Olympic cycling gold medallist Chris Hoy is to compete in a man versus machine race against Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton at Wembley.

Hamilton, 23, will drive a Mercedes road car at the Race of Champions event on 14 December while Hoy will race his bike round the twisty circuit.

"It's going to special, the atmosphere is going to be crazy," said Hamilton.

"To see 80,000 fans for the first time since becoming world champion will be a great way to end a fantastic year."

Hoy won sprint, keirin and team sprint gold medals in Beijing to become the first Briton to win three gold medals at the same Games for 100 years.

And while the 32-year-old knows he will struggle to match the acceleration of the Mercedes, he hopes the tight and twisty track may prove a leveller.

"I can kick out about two-and-a-half brake horsepower so that's not going to quite match his car but I think they'll make the race as close as possible and I'll be giving it absolutely everything. I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

Hamilton, who became the youngest driver to win the Formula One world title this year, will also perform a demonstration run in his McLaren F1 car.

The duo will then head for Liverpool to take part in the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year awards ceremony later in the evening.

The Race of Champions event sees competitors from various strands of motorsport race against each other in a range of cars around a parallel two-lane track.

Germany's seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, France's four-time World Rally champion Sébastien Loeb, Britain's triple World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx and Australia's triple Superbike world champion Troy Bayliss head the list of competitors.

British Formula One drivers David Coulthard, who retired this season, and Jenson Button are also racing.

_45215719_hamilton_hoy226.jpg

0JSHCI2P--400x280.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7734829.stm

--------

What a brilliant way of rounding off a great year of British sport.

Great Idea but I would think also having each do a time trials on the mode of both their sports would be interesting as well . Lewis Hamilton on a Bike and Chris Hoy in a Car. I am sure Hamilton with the physical fitness a race car driver has to have would be very respectable on a Bike and Hoy with the Reaction time and reflexes would be just as interesting behind the wheel of the Mercedes Road Car. Formula people play up the technology but it really takes a special set of people to run in that type of racing. Track Cycling people tend to think braun but there is also a great deal of mind work as well.

Take the two times together for each person and combine them . The winner is the one who does best with both Sports. I can hardly believe Scotland actually calls David Coultard the greatest Scottish Formula One Driver Ever . Jackie Stewart didn't he actually win a Couple of Championships and is Actually Scottish ? Stewart Won more championships as a Citizen of Britain then anyone else between 1950 and now. Lets Hope Lewis Hamilton can repeat and perhaps match the Three Stewart won . Jenson Button I can't see ever winning a championship unless he moves to a top Team . Honda has really taken a nose dive in the last couple of years.

jim jones

I can hardly believe Scotland actually calls David Coultard the greatest Scottish Formula One Driver Ever . Jackie Stewart didn't he actually win a Couple of Championships and is Actually Scottish ? Stewart Won more championships as a Citizen of Britain then anyone else between 1950 and now.

I doubt even David Coulthard would call himself Scotland's greatest Grand Prix driver. And have you ever heard of Jim Clark?

Archived