F1 2008

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Massa had a nightmare today and I've no idea what Ferrari were thinking tactically around the first pit stop. Heidfeld isn't far behind in the championship either, by the way.

I know, but when was the last time 4 drivers were at the top within easy sticking distance of each other. I have only seen 2 seasons that were truly competitive.

• 3 weeks later...
Meanwhile, Mosley has won his case against the News of the World. The judge announced his ruling this morning.

I see the News of The World Editor is rather bemused by it all, complaining that European Law is to blame for the strangulation of the free press.

I think what the News of the World editor is arguing is that this case has been brought on the basis of the European Convention of Human Rights, particularly the article detailing 'the right to privacy'. We have never had a privacy law in this country of the sort that I believe France in particular has. In the past, if people have wanted to sue on that basis, they have had to do so for breach of 'confidence' under British law. I think there is fairly widespread concern in the media going on public comments so far today that this ruling represents a kind of 'backdoor privacy law' for the rich and/or powerful. I have to say that is a concern which I also share, particularly given what I regard as the clear public interest defence which it appears the judge has not accepted in this case.

I have to say that is a concern which I also share, particularly given what I regard as the clear public interest defence which it appears the judge has not accepted in this case.

But isn't there a difference between the public interest and what interests the public? I think that had a lot to do with the verdict earlier today. That and the fact the News of The World could not substantiate the claim that the Orgy had a Nazi connotation.

But isn't there a difference between the public interest and what interests the public?

That is a very subtle, but very important, point that you make. The British press operates under the Code of Practice laid down by the Press Complaints Commission, which specifically lays down what 'the public interest' is, as follows:

The public interest includes, but is not confined to:

i) Detecting or exposing crime or serious impropriety.

ii) Protecting public health and safety.

iii) Preventing the public from being misled by an action or statement of an individual or organisation.

You can read the full code here should you so wish.

I think that had a lot to do with the verdict earlier today. That and the fact the News of The World could not substantiate the claim that the Orgy had a Nazi connotation.

I've followed the case with some interest and the key to it was always going to be whether the 'Nazi' element stood up. Clearly the judge did not accept that, but the fact that the key witness for the News of the World was unable to appear for whatever reason did not help. And the fact that the judge has not awarded the punitive damages that Mosley sought implies to me that it is certainly not the complete victory he was seeking.

Had the 'Nazi' element stood, though, there is, in my opinion a clear public interest defence. Here we have a man who is boss of the governing body of probably the most valuable sport in the world, the son of the former leader of the British Union of Fascists and who has publicly distanced himself from the politics of his father in the past. It is certainly arguable that it exposes impropriety, but I would have thought the ground is far safer if you go on the line of 'preventing the public from being misled'. Despite the ruling today, I would still argue, as a professional journalist, that there is a defence against the action Mosley brought. I haven't heard whether the News of the World intend to appeal but I hope that they do because I fear this ruling, if it is not challenged, could set a very dangerous precedent.

I'd normally say that what you do in your own time, behind closed doors is your own business as long as it doesn't harm others; and normally with stories like this I'd think the media should mind their own. But, I have to admit, it's very hard to argue that when talking about a man as horrible and obviously dislikeable as Max Mosely.

The rights and wrongs of this story being broken aside, I think his position as head of world motorsport is surely still untenable despite his winning a vote of confidence.

It is clear to me, however, that this is not simply an issue about his private business, though. Quite apart from how you manage over 45 years to prevent your wife and children from finding out that you like having your backside beaten until it bleeds. I hope he'll sod off sooner rather than later but I suspect he might just try and cling on a bit longer now.

Schumacher crash stuns car dealer

A Kent car dealer who was sent flying when a van struck a barrier was shocked to discover the driver was the German ex-Formula 1 ace, Michael Schumacher.

Martin Kingham, 39, said he was closing the security gate at his premises in Lydd on Sunday afternoon when a Fiat van struck the end of it.

The barrier hit his leg "sending him spinning" on to the bonnet of a car.

Police called to the incident said they helped both men to swap details and no further action was needed.

Mr Kingham was unhurt, while only minor damage was caused to Schumacher's van in the collision outside Millfield Motors, just before 1600 BST.

'Penny dropped'

He recalled how the police officer called to the scene said: "That chap is claiming to be Michael Schumacher, and I said, 'You know what, he doesn't half look like him'.

"Then the penny suddenly dropped. When I phoned my business partner later and told him that you'll never guess who I've been run over by, he wouldn't believe me.

"Obviously being a car salesman we do like a wind up but the difference with this story is that it is actually true.

"Michael's entourage turned up and he left."

A spokesman for the seven-time Formula 1 world champion confirmed the incident had taken place and that Schumacher had co-operated with police.

Link

_44880095_44880089.jpg

Ooops!!! :P:P I wonder what a certain Damon Hill would make of that!

What a bizarre race. Incredibly bad luck for both the World Championship front-runners, an astounding drive from Glock after his accident in the last race, a non-performance from the reigning world champion, and a maiden victory for Kovalainen who was steady but way off the pace for most of the race

Strange, strange race...

What a bizarre race. Incredibly bad luck for both the World Championship front-runners, an astounding drive from Glock after his accident in the last race, a non-performance from the reigning world champion, and a maiden victory for Kovalainen who was steady but way off the pace for most of the race

Strange, strange race...

Toyota clear proof that all the money in the world does not buy success. Great drive by Glock and this is probably one of the best F1 seasons in a long while.

As to the whole topic of Bernie and the revolving threats to pull races out of places. It is how much do you want to lose everywhere to Bernie's Demands is the game he plays. Silverstone or Melbourne are not picked on exclusively after all look at Indianapolis Motor Speedway where the largest crowds annually for F1 where. The five years for F1 only came with 250 million dollars of investment into Indy speedway. Then you have the fees F1 had on top of that. Tony George and the Family that owns the worlds largest motorsport track lost money hand over fist for F1 while they own America's open wheel championship making money every week end on other tracks . Tony George has also had a fair relationship with the most popular motor sport series in North America being Nascar . The Nascar series has raced for a dozen years at Indy and the crowds rival the Indy 500 . Bernie is not going to get a Las Vegas Grand Prix on the Vegas Strip like he wishes. Vegas has enough drawing power with Gambling and World Class Entertainment that would be driven away for a week blocking that strip with Billion dollar resorts on it.

Germany has lost a race as has Italy with the San Marino Grand Prix. Montreal has had the same threats as Silverstone and Melbourne. This has gone on for a long time as the US Grand Prix was once in the up state New York area at a track called Watkins Glen . Argentina had a F1 race in the not so long ago past as did South Africa. Belgiums Spa had the same threat and lost their race for a while. The Japanese Grand Prix was switched to the Mount Fuji track Toyota owns probably for more money to bernie. Magny Cours is under threat from Bernie's own track in France Paul Ricard.

This is how Bernie becomes wealthy. Playing countries and even regions of countries against each other. I would not doubt Mexico will have a F1 race before long or that will be the threat . Russia has also made noises as well. If your economy has basically leveled off into a Maturity stage then your race is in threat . Think about it Malaysia, China , Turkey, Bahrain, Singapore and India all new territories in the last decade for F1. At some point who knows anyone with deep pockets in South Africa could have a grand prix as a pressure tactic by the ring master.

Jim jones

• 1 month later...

What a fucking joke F1 now is. I'm not going to watch it anymore. Sod the FIA, sod Bernie Ecclestone, sod the lot of them. If they don't want to see overtaking and believe their vendetta against Ron Dennis is more important than the sport as a whole I don't want to be a part of it anymore.

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton was stripped of a dramatic victory in the Belgian Grand Prix after stewards handed him a 25-second post-race penalty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7602830.stm

If Lewis Hamilton wins the title when he's competing not only against Massa but also everyone else within the sport, he deserves to beat everyone to sports personality this year. Honestly, have they got the judo judges from Beijing making the decisions in Belgium?

I'm so angry.

I can't wait to hear Lewis' and Ron Dennis' reaction. I'd love Lewis to forget his usual diplmoatic demeanour and stick it to them, because he's been royally screwed over.

Archived