F1 2008

Yes, but his main aim was to finish ahead of Raikkonen who, in the end, has much more consistency than Massa. As they said on the coverage at the weekend, there are a handful of tracks where Massa will outperform Raikkonen (such as Istanbul) but on the majority it will be the other way round. That's why it's important Hamilton and McLaren concentrate on beating the Finn if they are to have any chance of glory this season.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kimi's main grand prix's are Canada, France and Belgium, if he does well there he should be alright for the championship, if not then there is a chance for Hamilton or Massa. It would be nice if Heikki and Alonso would get their cars to go and make it a 5 way.

I don't think it's realistic for Alonso to put together a championship challenge this season. Heikki may get it together, but he does have a bit of ground to make up.

It's all very well talking about where Raikkonen is strong, but that implies that the other challengers are being written off and that is very dangerous. As I've said before, the gap between the top two teams is narrowing significantly over the last two races.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bad day for motorsport today, as Max Mosley clings on

Mosley stays on as FIA president

I have to say I was surprised by the vote. I honestly didn't think Mosley would win it, let alone so convincingly. But anyone who thinks that will be the end of the story is wrong.

The fact is that, because it would appear that he is remaining in place for another year or more, the reputation of the FIA is going to be further damaged by his continued association with it. Regardless of what you think of his personal liaisons, continuing coverage of the personal conduct of the 'president of the FIA' is only going to damage the reputation of the organisation and the sport further, and surely nobody wants that.

Somebody argued that one's private life is one's own business. If what the News of the World is alleging is true, then it is a matter of public interest and should be reported. We all know who Mosley's father was, and Mosley has publicly renounced his politics in the past. Allegations of this nature do not help to support that image, do they?

But I'm afraid this is a wider issue than simply what he pays for. It's also about what the FIA has done, or not done, under his stewardship. It is clear that there have been major inconsistencies in the penalties given to certain teams over others for similar alleged misdemeanours. And in certain cases where the damage to the sport has been enormous, the silence of the FIA has been deafening. Quite apart from the News of the World story, the time had already come for Mosley to go. That he is hanging on only serves to further weaken him and the organisation he appears so desperate to continue to lead. That is not a healthy scenario.

Just came back from the track.

(exhausted, too much sun and too much wine in the stands during the three days)

Happy for Kubica, I predicted that he will win his first GP in Montreal.

Disapointed the way Kimi finish his race.

Mmmm....one was a stupid racing incident, the other was ignoring/not seeing a safety light. I can understand the decision unfortunately. You can't let that sort of thing slip through the net, deliberate or not.

It's easy to forget that this is only Hamilton's second season in the sport after some of the performances he has put in. It's frustrating when the sort of thing that happened yesterday happens, but maybe we shouldn't be so surprised. As good a driver as any when in racing mode, perhaps Hamilton hasn't entirely got to grips with the more technical aspects of being in F1.

So was it a Kimi Raikkonen double I heard whinging afterwards? I'm not arguing that Hamilton doesn't deserve to be penalised because he does. But Raikkonen has no room to criticise anybody after what happened in Monaco.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just love to know what Hamilton has to do to get a decent break for a change. I read that the FIA have admitted that their own rules about the pit lane red light (remember the Canada incident) are dangerous. Not that that helps Hamilton today in France. Then he gets a drive-through that wrecks his race and for what?

Somebody somewhere really must have something against Hamilton. But I love his defiance. Go on Lewis! Show the bastards at Silverstone.

French Grand Prix

• 2 weeks later...

Big news at Silverstone this lunchtime with the news that the British Grand Prix is, apparently, going to be staged at Donington Park from 2010.

Silverstone to Donington

I haven't heard anything quite so ridiculous in ages and I honestly do not think it will happen.

Meanwhile, Melbourne will keep its race until 2015, but the start time will be pushed back to 5pm local time.

Melbourne to keep GP until 2015

Looks like they managed to get a concession out of the dwarf cretin. Good for them.

Judging by what I've been reading during the course of the day, most people seem to be highly sceptical at best over the news of a deal being agreed to stage the British Grand Prix at Donington Park.

Now, don't get me wrong in this. Donington Park is a really good track for what it is. It is a super track for motorcycle racing and lower class single-seater racing. But it is wholly inadequate for Formula One and I fear that in making it adequate for F1, they will lose what makes the place so right for other forms of motorsport now.

I went to Donington for the British Motorcycle Grand Prix quite a few years ago and, from what I hear and read, little has changed since then. I cannot, in any way, believe that the track will be ready to stage a Formula One Grand Prix in two years time. I just don't see it.

The access will also be a major issue. Silverstone in recent years has benefited from the dual carriageway past the track. It's all very well saying that Donington is two miles from one of the country's main motorways. Fine. But the road from the motorway to the track is just a standard A road and will be wholly inadequate. It's inadequate. I've seen plenty of stories of people taking anything up to four hours to get out of the circuit after the recent MotoGP. How on Earth the place will cope with an F1 crowd, I just cannot see.

In all seriousness, this strikes me as being a carbon copy of the deal to take the British Grand Prix to Brands Hatch in the late 90s - not a bad idea in principal, but an almost total non-starter in practice. I hope sense will eventually prevail.

Archived