Games Bids 2016 Bid Book Requirements.

I am not going to be overly strict on capacities. Think of your city and their needs - while basketball will fill halls in Hamburg, there may be less interest in Cairo - so having a 10,000 seat basketball venue is kind of besides the point in this case.

So what your saying is we're permitted to have say, up to 2000 or so seats removed from some venues? We don't necessarily have to follow the guide exactly?

Maybe give us some other restrictions, perhaps say you can have x amount of seats removed from venues, but only for x amount of venues, so choose wisely. That would most definitely be interesting.

Would be somebody so kind to explain "renderings" in this context for me?

Renderings. Feel free to add visual 3d design proposals (or even mere sketches :P) on what your venues are to look like visually. I suppose that's what's meant by renderings.

So what your saying is we're permitted to have say, up to 2000 or so seats removed from some venues? We don't necessarily have to follow the guide exactly?

Maybe give us some other restrictions, perhaps say you can have x amount of seats removed from venues, but only for x amount of venues, so choose wisely. That would most definitely be interesting.

Oooooohhhh, Lord David loves restraints.

Let him stick to the capacities, puppy. He'll truly enjoy it. :)B)

I will use my Hong Kong bid as an example - I am proposing a new venue on Lantau for archery and hockey. The archery fields will have 1,500 and 800 seats respectively. Well below IOC requirements but about right for the sports prominence in HK. Hockey will have two fields - one with 6,000, one with 3,000 - again below IOC requirements. I would rather see you imagine what the local market needs are and base your bid on that. If you are doing a bid for a city of 10 million+ and propose a 65,000 seat main stadium that will draw a negative score.

My main stadium will be just over 82,000 - which is what I believe Hong Kong would need - IF they had a steady supply of events to justify it. Since they don't it will be downsized to 53,000 after the Games and I plan that the existing HK Stadium will be downsized to 20,000. Thats responsible legacy!

I will use my Hong Kong bid as an example - I am proposing a new venue on Lantau for archery and hockey. The archery fields will have 1,500 and 800 seats respectively. Well below IOC requirements but about right for the sports prominence in HK. Hockey will have two fields - one with 6,000, one with 3,000 - again below IOC requirements. I would rather see you imagine what the local market needs are and base your bid on that. If you are doing a bid for a city of 10 million+ and propose a 65,000 seat main stadium that will draw a negative score.

My main stadium will be just over 82,000 - which is what I believe Hong Kong would need - IF they had a steady supply of events to justify it. Since they don't it will be downsized to 53,000 after the Games and I plan that the existing HK Stadium will be downsized to 20,000. Thats responsible legacy!

If a bid has 50% + existing venues then capacities aren't really an issue.

Yes and no Mo - Cape Town may have a 60,000 seat stadium - but that wont cut it for a main Olympic stadium. You still need to have acceptible, realistic venues. The capcpity of some venues can be individually tailored to expected attendence etc.

Yip. I just meant it makes things easier. In my case 76% existing venues.

Archived