Prague's Bid Almost Dead?

cfm Jeremie

From the Prague's Post:

Prague's bid for the 2016 Olympic Games will not get financial guarantees from the government, even if the city makes the short list of contenders, Czech Premier Mirek Topolánek says in a Czech News Agency report.

“We merely signed a declaration stating that we would respect the Olympic Charter,” Topolánek told the Parliament on Thursday. “If Prague were to get on the ‘short list', which I don't expect, and the government were asked to give [financial guarantees] I guarantee you that it will not give them."

With this kind of declaration, I just don't see how Prague could be considered for the short list...

I don't know why they had to bid in the first place. They had similar opinion results in the past (I remember an under-50%-support-poll in 2006) and they knew the government wasn't particularly happy about the bid (there were news of officials critisizing it all over 2007).

Losing financial support is already a fatal strike to Prague's bid. Even if they don't resign, their chances to get to the shortlist are frankly laughable.

This supports even more the theory that Europe will not make it again this time (Madrid is not doing a bad job, but if i were them i would have made the bid for 2020). Sorry guys, this is just for America or Asia.

This supports even more the theory that Europe will not make it again this time (Madrid is not doing a bad job, but if i were them i would have made the bid for 2020). Sorry guys, this is just for America or Asia.

How so?

Prague was never considered short-list material anyway...

If anything, having only one European city among the candidate cities only makes Madrid more likely to survive the first rounds (not that I think Madrid stands a chance but with the IOC, one never knows...).

Archived