The Best Choice

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am more and more wondering whether the IOC will resist the pressure of including Rio. My guess is that, given the fact that if Rio is shortlisted they will be a potential winner (unlike let's say, Istanbul for 2008), Rogge won't admit Rio if he has the slightest doubt that it would be a challenge for them to deliver in 2016.

I am more and more wondering whether the IOC will resist the pressure of including Rio.

What kind of pressure are you speaking of, Jer? Is there intense pressure in the IOC realm to include Rio on the short-list this time around? If so, that would be very interesting. I haven't come across anything, other than on these forums, of the popularity to include Rio as a candidate city.

However, as Baron said, if the majority of venues are going to be that far from central Rio, that would be a serious deficiency in their bid. Reminds me of the 2012 "San Francisco" Bay Area (really Palo Alto) bid. How many people were saying that had the USOC selected this bid back then instead of NY, that it would've stood a much better chance of winning. Although, I don't see how a bid, with the heart of venues being held almost an hour south of Downtown San Francisco, would've stood any chance at all. Surely the IOC wouldn't have fallen for it.

I have mentioned that before, that it wouldn't be that surprising if the IOC were to go with a 3-city short-list this time around.

Nobody here has been able to give a well proven reason why IOC has to go with three shortlist this time around. The evidence is there that Rio has a chance on the shortlist as the IOC president Jacques Rogge specifically wants to see the games stage in South American or Africa within a short time and Rio is putting up a good challenge to that.

I want to quickly bring in here that no game is without slightest hitches as regard Pan Am. Atleast it was one of the very best in the history of the games when Rio did play host to them. There has be lately good appropriation of fund toward the olympic, on the interim about Revenue of US$750 million is expected and I think that is a good start.

On public transportation which is one big hurdle for the games, the FIFA 2014 WC transportation upgrade and subsequent plan for the Olympic is going to see a substantial face lift for the Rio's bid. The metro line that was built for the Pan Am games was also a testimony.

The capacity of 8,000 Pan Am village can as well serve the purpose of an Olympic with a little upgrade. It's cost effective to upgrade than to build a new venues which required plans and execution from the ground level. I barely agree with the idea of seeing Rio challenge not among those which are highly rated here due to the state of development. If development as whole is used to run an Olympic bid process there no fact to it how any other developing city can host the games and, one should be thinking by now how China got the games without considering it as a third world country.

On the final note Rio has well send a message across to the world that it can host the games. Afterall, the website and logo has be praised above any other in this forum, though, they don't play a part in shortlisting -- they seem like parts of the paraphenalias that tell they are serious and careful to host the games.

Definitely, RIO is the best choice !

A wonderful city, the most beautiful city of the world. And Brazil has total conditions. If anyone forgot... I remember you.. Brazil is the sixth economy of the world !! so... Wake up everyone!!

Rio IS a beautiful city. BUT it also has MAJOR problems concerning it's bid.

First of all, the World Cup does NOT help Rio's cause. Despite what has been said the IOC does not like to be dessert.

The Rio plan is not very compact. The Olympics are MUCH bigger than the Pan Am games. The IOC wants a compact plan.

Much of Rio is under control of violent gangs.

How many Muslim members of the IOC are going to vote for Rio? Does anyone else see the Jesus statue as a MAJOR problem? You can see Jesus from almost anywhere in the city.

Rio IS a beautiful city. BUT it also has MAJOR problems concerning it's bid.

First of all, the World Cup does NOT help Rio's cause. Despite what has been said the IOC does not like to be dessert.

The Rio plan is not very compact. The Olympics are MUCH bigger than the Pan Am games. The IOC wants a compact plan.

Much of Rio is under control of violent gangs.

How many Muslim members of the IOC are going to vote for Rio? Does anyone else see the Jesus statue as a MAJOR problem? You can see Jesus from almost anywhere in the city.

Are you so religious that you play religion with games? I don't have much to say if you continue to use Muslim and Cristianity as votes.

However, as Baron said, if the majority of venues are going to be that far from central Rio, that would be a serious deficiency in their bid. Reminds me of the 2012 "San Francisco" Bay Area (really Palo Alto) bid. How many people were saying that had the USOC selected this bid back then instead of NY, that it would've stood a much better chance of winning. Although, I don't see how a bid, with the heart of venues being held almost an hour south of Downtown San Francisco, would've stood any chance at all. Surely the IOC wouldn't have fallen for it.

Altho the SF 2012 scheme wasn't all that bad. The Village was going to be in Moffett Field -- so really about 20 mins from the Stanford/Palo Alto area where they had, if memory serves me right, also planned the main Olympic stadium. Actually, only minor sports were designated for San Francisco proper itself. In any case, a lot of it was OUTSIDE SF proper. And the media were to be booked in hotels along the 101 corridor -- so some were close to SF, others closer to Palo Altho/San Mateo (where the SM Convention Center was to have been the main Media Center).

The point is, that Village was far more accessible to more than half the major venues than the 2016 Rio plan presents.

The capacity of 8,000 Pan Am village can as well serve the purpose of an Olympic with a little upgrade. It's cost effective to upgrade than to build a new venues which required plans and execution from the ground level.

james, you are absolutely clueless about any of these Olympic planning basics yet you blather on like some veteran expert. First of you just inflated the PanAm Village capacity again.

Secondly -- what are you talking about "...little upgrade"? They build 'em new most EVERY TIME. Do you really think a Village built for so many thousand people will sit empty for years, waiting for the Olympic appointment that may NEVER come? (Unless that's the way they do it in Nigeria... ) :blink:

As has been the practice, once they're done with a brand new, built-up Village, the units are then sold off to private buyers who hold title to those units as THEIR NEW homes. (Or Rio might follow the lead of Lake Placid when they turned their Olympic Village into a minimum-security prison. :lol: )

And even if they were just made rentals, do you think the IOC would look favorably upon a bid that proclaims: oh, we will use and upgrade the same Village from 9 years before... meaning that, as you said, "... some (8,000) renters will be evicted for the duration of the Games so we can host another sports party.)" Duh. :blink:

Are you so religious that you play religion with games? I don't have much to say if you continue to use Muslim and Cristianity as votes.

Whew. That takes the cake, man.

james, if you ever wonder why your beloved Abuja lost 2014-- look in the mirror. If you are going to be the future of Nigeria's bidding capability, then... :(

And even if they were just made rentals, do you think the IOC would look favorably upon a bid that proclaims: oh, we will use and upgrade the same Village from 9 years before... meaning that, as you said, "... some (8,000) renters will be evicted for the duration of the Games so we can host another sports party.)" Duh. :blink:

Whew. That takes the cake, man.

I was wondering about just this thing regarding Rio's bid. Are they planning on using the same village as the Pan Ams or are they building a new one? If it's the same what *are* they doing with with the village in meantime?

Every city has it's major religion. For Rio it's Catholicism, for other cities it's something else. This is a non-issue.

Salt Lake City is the headquarters of the Mormon Faith, for what it's worth. Huge imposing temple and everything.

I was wondering about just this thing regarding Rio's bid. Are they planning on using the same village as the Pan Ams or are they building a new one? If it's the same what *are* they doing with with the village in meantime?

Here's what the Rio booklet says about its Village plans:

OLYMPIC VILLAGE CONCEPT

The planned apartment complex will house up to 17,500 residents, ensuring sufficient capacity for all athletes and

team officials....

RESIDENTIAL POST-GAMES USE

Following the Games, the Village development will provide much needed new residential accommodation in the fastest growing region in the city. Approximately 60% of current residential development within the city limits of Rio occurs in the Barra region. The demand for accommodation of this nature in the Barra region was demonstrated following the 2007 Pan American Games Village, when more than 90% of the 1,480 apartments utilized for the Games Village were sold in a single day after the sales launch.

[Page 31; emphasis and underlining are mine.]

It is a planned, brand-new community. Not some old, re-built, upgraded community which was Mr. Olympic-Genius' idea. :rolleyes: And of course, the units are sold off immediately after their sports use.

Obviously, Mr. Know-It-All gabs and gabs about the comparative virtues of the bids WITHOUT having read or compared any of them. I just wish he'd open the Bid books instead of his mouth just once.

The capacity of 8,000 Pan Am village can as well serve the purpose of an Olympic with a little upgrade. It's cost effective to upgrade than to build a new venues which required plans and execution from the ground level

Do you ever read what I post to comprehend it, Baron? I am older now and You can't fool me any longer. What I said there was a suggestion of how it would be esaier to upgrade a Pan Am village into Olympic than starting from the scratch.

The capacity of 8,000 Pan Am village can as well serve the purpose of an Olympic with a little upgrade. It's cost effective to upgrade than to build a new venues which required plans and execution from the ground level

Do you ever read what I post to comprehend it, Baron? I am older now and You can't fool me any longer. What I said there was a suggestion of how it would be esaier to upgrade a Pan Am village into Olympic than starting from the scratch.

Do you READ anything, james?

Your 'upgrade' thing is NOT even worth discussing BECAUSE it is (1) NOT viable; (2) it is not what Rio proposes.

If your idea was even feasible, then it would be worth taking note. But it's not. They would laugh Rio's bid out the window.

It can't be any simpler than that.

Every city has it's major religion. For Rio it's Catholicism, for other cities it's something else. This is a non-issue.

Salt Lake City is the headquarters of the Mormon Faith, for what it's worth. Huge imposing temple and everything.

No other city has a HUGE statue of their deity on a mountaintop overlooking the entire city. A building (church,temple, etc) is one thing, having someone else's God staring at you is an entirely different thing. I belive it will cost Rio some votes with Muslim voters.

No other city has a HUGE statue of their deity on a mountaintop overlooking the entire city. A building (church,temple, etc) is one thing, having someone else's God staring at you is an entirely different thing. I belive it will cost Rio some votes with Muslim voters.

well, the Golden Triangle is nearby you know.

But if Rio doesn't make the short list, then Rio will have lost NO muslim voters.

Besides, how many muslim IOC members are there? Around 10 I think ? And if Doha is up, then those would go to Doha anyway.

So it's really a non-issue.

JEEZ!!! If statue is staring at you as a god I wouldn't know cos a statue can't be my GOD. Maybe we should start pointing to huge images in various cities around the world as a concern for votes in games bidding.Mate, why not back off from this religion issue with Olympic bid? So that we can help the situation at hand why Rio is going to be rated over Doha.

It's not going to cost Rio anything other than fanatics like you who are so obssessed of an image . Nevertheless, I believe Rio's have an edge over Doha's bid.

Jesus is an important prophet to Islam. Their objection would be of the depiction of him because all depictions of holy figures is considered taboo by Islam. Great a grip.

Time for a prediction

Shortlist

Tokyo, Japan

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Doha, Qatar

Chicago, United States

Madrid, Spain

Prague, Czech Republic

Baku, Azerbaijan

in that order...HOWEVER, im only including Chicago and Madrid becuase they will pass the evaluation report, seeing as they're capable. Though i personally believe having them there in the shortlist will alter the outcome (in the final rounds) disadvantaging Tokyo and throwing wind to Rio.

in that order...HOWEVER, im only including Chicago and Madrid becuase they will pass the evaluation report, seeing as they're capable. Though i personally believe having them there in the shortlist will alter the outcome (in the final rounds) disadvantaging Tokyo and throwing wind to Rio.

Try drinking some equatorial waters. That'll give you a more balanced view. The Southern City is handicapped by 2014 and distant venues.

Time for a prediction

Shortlist

Tokyo, Japan

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Doha, Qatar

Chicago, United States

Madrid, Spain

Prague, Czech Republic

Baku, Azerbaijan

For what it's worth...

This is a battle between Rio and Chicago. It's not that the orhers aren't worthy or capable. But it's been 20 years since the Summer games have been to the Americas. I live a few hours from NYC and visit often. Went to Chicago this past July and was AMAZED! The city and lakefront were made for an Olympic games. It was far, far nicer than NYC. Beautiful lakefront parks filled with musuems, gardens, beaches, a zoo, fountains, boat marinas, navy pier, and possibly the world's greatest skyline. A diverse city with great restaurants, MORE hotel rooms than NYC, the best downtown shopping in the US (Michigan Avenue), the biggest convention center in the world (to be used for some venues), and very CLEAN. Their plans for a compact games are probably the best plans submitted.

Don't just brush Chicago aside. I understand many outsiders still view Chicago as the land of gangsters. That a mistake that I made. Al Capone is long gone. Chicago's diversity may win it many votes. There are HUGE amounts of Hispanics, African Americans, Irish, Polish, Asian, etc. By far Chicago is the most diverse city on the list. Did I mention the ecomomy. Chicago has one of the biggest in the world (5th in believe). The IOC will not brush Chicago aside. Neither should you.

Bottom line...Chicago is a serious contender.

For what it's worth...

This is a battle between Rio and Chicago. It's not that the orhers aren't worthy or capable. But it's been 20 years since the Summer games have been to the Americas. I live a few hours from NYC and visit often. Went to Chicago this past July and was AMAZED! The city and lakefront were made for an Olympic games. It was far, far nicer than NYC. Beautiful lakefront parks filled with musuems, gardens, beaches, a zoo, fountains, boat marinas, navy pier, and possibly the world's greatest skyline. A diverse city with great restaurants, MORE hotel rooms than NYC, the best downtown shopping in the US (Michigan Avenue), the biggest convention center in the world (to be used for some venues), and very CLEAN. Their plans for a compact games are probably the best plans submitted.

Don't just brush Chicago aside. I understand many outsiders still view Chicago as the land of gangsters. That a mistake that I made. Al Capone is long gone. Chicago's diversity may win it many votes. There are HUGE amounts of Hispanics, African Americans, Irish, Polish, Asian, etc. By far Chicago is the most diverse city on the list. Did I mention the ecomomy. Chicago has one of the biggest in the world (5th in believe). The IOC will not brush Chicago aside. Neither should you.

Bottom line...Chicago is a serious contender.

Aronious, in case you haven't noticed, is slightly biased to Tokyo. He knows Chicago leads.

A little advice for you: handicap Chicago as #2. It's bad juju to be in the frontrunner position in this race. The #2s have a way of sneaking up on the favorite and grabbing the cup at the last minute. Cheer Rio on as #1. Trust me.

Archived