The Best Choice

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely, RIO is the best choice !

A wonderful city, the most beautiful city of the world. And Brazil has total conditions. If anyone forgot... I remember you.. Brazil is the sixth economy of the world !! so... Wake up everyone!!

In case you forgortten , USA has the world's Biggest enconomy with Japan in 2nd. Brazil is 10th not 6th .

OK, let's reprint it again since some people obvisouly insist on making their own world rankings rather than going by the officially recognized and accepted ones:

Per the IMF:

1 United States 13,543,330

2 People's Republic of China 11,606,3361

3 India 4,726,537

4 Japan 4,346,080

5 Germany 2,714,469

6 United Kingdom 2,270,884

7 France 2,040,109

8 Brazil 2,013,893

9 Russia 1,908,739

10 Italy 1,888,492

11 Spain

Per the World Bank:

1 United States 12,376,100

2 People's Republic of China 5,333,200a

3 Japan 3,870,300

4 Germany 2,514,800

5 India 2,341,000

6 United Kingdom 1,901,700

7 France 1,862,200

8 Russia 1,697,500

9 Italy 1,626,300

10 Brazil 1,585,100

11 Spain 1,183,500

and per the CIA World FactBook:

1 United States 13,860,000

2 People's Republic of China 7,043,000

3 Japan 4,305,000

4 India 2,965,000

5 Germany 2,833,000

6 United Kingdom 2,147,000

7 Russia 2,076,000

8 France 2,067,000

9 Brazil 1,838,000

10 Italy 1,800,000

11 Spain 1,362,000

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

Don't worry, you're still ahead of Spain but go check your facts first, wagner, before you post any more nonsense.

Definitely, RIO is the best choice !

A wonderful city, the most beautiful city of the world. And Brazil has total conditions. If anyone forgot... I remember you.. Brazil is the sixth economy of the world !! so... Wake up everyone!!

I agree! Rio deserve to host more than Chicago. US host the olympics too often and I've never been convinced by any argument for why they should host the games as often as they appear to but other countries should not host so often.

I agree! Rio deserve to host more than Chicago. US host the olympics too often and I've never been convinced by any argument for why they should host the games as often as they appear to but other countries should not host so often.

I think Europe takes the cake on that argument.

The olympics wouldn't survive without the TV revenues from the states mind you.

The olympics wouldn't survive without the TV revenues from the states mind you.

That's true, at least for a while.

However, given that NBC manages to influence the Games schedule in order to fit its prime time schedule (i.e. Beijing Swimming Finals Schedule), I don't think that it should carry that much weight.

Besides, with a maximum time gap between Games in North-America of 8 years since the 80s (when the broadcasting rights became valuable), I don't think the US broadcasters has been robbed (Europe had a 10-year gap between Lillehammer and Athens).

But 2016/2018 seems about right for the Games to come back to a US-time zone.

When it comes to arguments like this, it's usually EU vs. US. I'm not totally wrong in comparing the number of olympics in the US to that of Europe.

If you did that, IMO, you'd also have to include Canada & Mexico along with the US total. If you're gonna be continental, you have to be fair on both sides.

If you did that, IMO, you'd also have to include Canada & Mexico along with the US total. If you're gonna be continental, you have to be fair on both sides.

I agree. I didn't bring up the original point the US hosting too much though, I don't really have anything vested in this argument. When it comes to repeat host, I prefer to focus on a city or region, rather than the country. For example, if LA won the USOC Domestic Bid, I wouldn't be supporting it. I think Chicago has a lot to offer, as do most of the other candidate cities. Many claim that this isn't an exciting race cos the cities aren't as big, but I think it's great cos all but 1 city would be a city new to host for its region.

I can't wait until the technical evaluations!

When it comes to arguments like this, it's usually EU vs. US. I'm not totally wrong in comparing the number of olympics in the US to that of Europe.

Id say when it comes to argumets like this, it is total opposite.

It seems quite clear when Olympic bidding is concerned.

A city represents a country, a NOC, a representative sports team if u like - could get a *home town Olympics*.

If Madrid wins, the French don't get a hometown games.

Sorry, the USA may be huge with a whole range of cultures and States, I do not dispute that. But at the end, just one flag goes up the pole in the opening ceremony - that of the USA.

Europe is not a country, it is a continent made up of heaps of nations.

I see this as a three horse race - and I will explain why and you can tear me to shreds but rest assured I will not give a flying f*ck as I am assuming your opinion will differ from mine at the outset.

The realistic winner -

CHICAGO - solid plan, big money town, and the IOC strategically need to give the US a Games to sure up their big money market.

The only real spoiler -

TOKYO - Beijing has scuppered alot of their momentum - however the JOC will play a very hard and smart Game behind the scenes. I have seen how the Japanese manouveur first hand with the Nagano bid, and they have learnt alot from the Osaka debacle.

The 'outside edge' candidate -

DOHA - I can hear the numerous "he has supported them from Day One" echos in here - but they have huge monetary resources, a surprisingly solid and modest bid plan and the IOC know that once the 2006 Asian Games passed the first day jitters it was a roaring success. Here is a candidate the IOC can sell as a "new frontier" - thus initiating an all out war for 2020 involving strong European candidates, the possibility of two (if not three) North American candidates (Van2010 will surely spur on a Toronto bid if Chicago fails), as well as a summer South Korean candidate ($$$$$$$$$) on top of possible African, Australian and South American bids. Doha will knock the Japanese out as they will NOT put Tokyo forward again. I have heard if Tokyo fails expect a 2018 bid and if that goes nowhere the Japanese will sit it out for a few cycles again. I wont give up my source - but the cities of Aomori, Sapporo and bafflingly Nagano are aware they may get a shot.

Sadly I would love a Madrid games as their 2012 bid was awesome, and 2016 is shaping up to be a winner. Just the wrong time for them.

I have discussed Rio at length and I just do not see adequate advancements in transport infrastructure, security and other basic requirements. An arguably "mildly successful" Pan Ams plus the World Cup do not make Rio any more attractive in my eyes. The IOC may wait for another Cape Town bid before heading south.

Prague - nice idea, but do your damn homework. Their imminent withdrawal is an embarrassment.

Baku - well, we needed a Borjomi in this race like a hole in the head. Build some of your venues, see you next time around.

COMMENCE BOMBARDMENT!!!

TOKYO - Beijing has scuppered alot of their momentum - however the JOC will play a very hard and smart Game behind the scenes. I have seen how the Japanese manouveur first hand with the Nagano bid, and they have learnt alot from the Osaka debacle.

But their former vassals, the South Koreans, whom they backstabbed last year, should blunt any edges the Tokyo bid might have. Turnabout is fair play.

But their former vassals, the South Koreans, whom they backstabbed last year, should blunt any edges the Tokyo bid might have. Turnabout is fair play.

How exactly did the Japanese backstab the Koreans? I haven't see the rule that Japan had to support PC <_<

The days where Koreans were king makers within the IOC are long time gone.

I think Koreans should rather focus on maintaining their seat within the IOC than anything else...

Well, it's simply tit for that if anything else. I'm sure the South Koreans won't support Tokyo 2016, if they would like a shot at 2018, or 2020 for that matter.

And all arguments aside for Doha (how they could or couldn't host), I can't see the Japanese wanting to have 2 Asian candidates on the short-list. This would undoubtedly split the Asian votes in the early rounds & could wind up sacrificing Tokyo's bid. I don't think the Japanese would want to take that gamble. They may try to derail Doha before then. And I would hardly call West Asia a "new frontier" when the Games have been held plenty of times in Asia already.

And I would hardly call West Asia a "new frontier" when the Games have been held plenty of times in Asia already.

Yeah sure.

Remind me when an Arabic country hosted the Games for the last time...

I also love the "plenty of times in Asia already": including the Beijing upcoming games Asia has had only 5 Olympics, as much as France (not to mention the US...).

Strictly technically speaking, if the dates proposed for the Games is no a "no no", Doha's plans look realistic.

I don't think Tokyo expects any support for Korea (which is only one vote after all). Tokyo will be fishing in Europe.

Well, perhaps South Korea may try to influence others like the Japanese tried to do/did in the last race S.K. was in.

And compared to South America & Africa, Asia has hosted the Games plenty of times. I merely stated it that way because the term "new frontier" was used for a continent that has already hosted Olympic Games. If we want to make "regional" arguments, fine, but let's be fair about it, too.

Well, perhaps South Korea may try to influence others like the Japanese tried to do/did in the last race S.K. was in.

And compared to South America & Africa, Asia has hosted the Games plenty of times. I merely stated it that way because the term "new frontier" was used for a continent that has already hosted Olympic Games. If we want to make "regional" arguments, fine, but let's be fair about it, too.

Agreed. It would be a new 'cultural-regional' frontier vs. an unplayed geographic frontier. But this is splitting hairs. But certainly Japan's rather obvious non-support of PC 2014 works both ways. They can certainly try to influence their own set of friends; after all, there is a Samsung as a TOP.

But certainly Japan's rather obvious non-support of PC 2014 works both ways. They can certainly try to influence their own set of friends; after all, there is a Samsung as a TOP.

I could ask you to elaborate on the "obvious" part of Japan non-supporting PC (the Koreans themselves barely saw it coming) but that's not the point.

Of course Koreans are going to try to influence their own set of friends. My whole point is that Korea has currently far less influence within the IOC than in the past: they are down from 3 IOC members at the end of the 90s to one (who has issues with justice), the Korean habit of bidding for everything that moves has also started to p*ss off some officials...

So yea, Korea will have some influence in the 2016 vote but probably not as much as they used to.

I could ask you to elaborate on the "obvious" part of Japan non-supporting PC (the Koreans themselves barely saw it coming) but that's not the point.

Of course Koreans are going to try to influence their own set of friends. My whole point is that Korea has currently far less influence within the IOC than in the past: they are down from 3 IOC members at the end of the 90s to one (who has issues with justice), the Korean habit of bidding for everything that moves has also started to p*ss off some officials...

So yea, Korea will have some influence in the 2016 vote but probably not as much as they used to.

I love that comment about Korea.

Qatar is too small, end of story, they do not have the population nor the sport infrastructure to be deserving of the games. Anyways about 1/10 of the IOC can not fundamentally support Qater, 10 Sub-Saharan African members and 1 Israeli member. The stealing athletes thing has not gone over well in Africa. Not to mention Latin America will support Rio and than shift to Chicago.

Qatar is too small, end of story, they do not have the population nor the sport infrastructure to be deserving of the games.

Doha sport infrastructure is actually quite impressive. On that particular point, I don't think they would have a problem hosting the Games.

The size of Qatar is another story: it will be indeed difficult to convince the IOC that Doha will be able to provide enough accommodation for enough spectators to fill in the stadium. On the paper it seems possible but I am not qualified to assess the feasibility of Doha ambitious building projects. We'll see what the IOC experts say about that.

I do appreciate that Doha has included plans to accommodate the workforce given that a much larger than usual chunk of it will have to come from abroad.

Anyways about 1/10 of the IOC can not fundamentally support Qater, 10 Sub-Saharan African members and 1 Israeli member. The stealing athletes thing has not gone over well in Africa.

It's going to be an issue (although the IF are also partly to blame since they allow these kind of deals to happen).

I don't think that Doha has a realistic chance of hosting 2016 anyway.

Not to mention Latin America will support Rio and than shift to Chicago.

That's a possibility. Of course it will depend on whether Rio makes the shortlist and then whether Rio will go before Chicago (which somehow I doubt, I could very well imagine a Rio-Chicago final round, depending on how the European votes go between Tokyo and Rio).

Doha sport infrastructure is actually quite impressive. On that particular point, I don't think they would have a problem hosting the Games.

The size of Qatar is another story: it will be indeed difficult to convince the IOC that Doha will be able to provide enough accommodation for enough spectators to fill in the stadium. On the paper it seems possible but I am not qualified to assess the feasibility of Doha ambitious building projects. We'll see what the IOC experts say about that.

I do appreciate that Doha has included plans to accommodate the workforce given that a much larger than usual chunk of it will have to come from abroad.

It's going to be an issue (although the IF are also partly to blame since they allow these kind of deals to happen).

I don't think that Doha has a realistic chance of hosting 2016 anyway.

That's a possibility. Of course it will depend on whether Rio makes the shortlist and then whether Rio will go before Chicago (which somehow I doubt, I could very well imagine a Rio-Chicago final round, depending on how the European votes go between Tokyo and Rio).

Sports infrastructure also includes sports culture and athlete production, something that Qatar sees as something they can buy.

The anger and frustrating coming out of Africa over the bought athletes problem is going to cost Qatar African support, there is no question of this.

The entire state of Qatar has a population less than the metropolitan population of any city that has hosted since 1952, its population is at least 5 times smaller then the previous hosts to 1980 excluding Barcelona which is 2x. They don't have the population to sport the sale of some 2 to 5 million tickets and Qatar does not have nor need hotel space foe 40 to 60,000 hotel rooms. Cruise ships can only get you so far.

Archived