What's The Meaning Of The Olympic Rings?

james

I heard somebody said here the rings represented the five different race. I searched some websites and I found different meaning and only the IOC that said: "The Olympic symbol consists of five interlaced rings of equal dimensions, used alone, in one or in five different colours, which are, from left to right, blue, yellow, black, green and red. The Olympic symbol (the Olympic rings) expresses the activity of the Olympic Movement and represents the union of the five continents and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games.

But watch out! It is wrong, therefore, to say that each of the colours corresponds to a certain continent!".

I guess, many people are actually wrong about the meaning to these colourful Oympic rings. So, what's your view about the meaning of the Olympic rings?

I heard somebody said here the rings represented the five different race. I searched some websites and I found different meaning and only the IOC that said: "The Olympic symbol consists of five interlaced rings of equal dimensions, used alone, in one or in five different colours, which are, from left to right, blue, yellow, black, green and red. The Olympic symbol (the Olympic rings) expresses the activity of the Olympic Movement and represents the union of the five continents and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games.

That's about the best way of putting it. But taken apart, individually, they represent the 5/(6) continents/races at the time my great-grandpappy. PdeC I, chose them to represent his newly founded movement.

Another interpretation is that each of these colors appear in all the flags ofthe world!! Ha! Wait until the first purple and taupe flag appears!! :lol:

I can't vouch for the the legitimacy of this story, but I once read that the original plan was to add a ring for each celebration of the Games. Hence, when the flag debuted at Antwerp in 1920, the five rings represented the five modern Olympic Games contested to that point. If this is in fact true, I am glad they didn't go through with that plan, the Olympic emblem would look rather silly by now.

If the significance of the rings is so contradictory why would the IOC look for a more appropriate way to express the Oympic?

If the significance of the rings is so contradictory why would the IOC look for a more appropriate way to express the Oympic?

Because it's such an established, well recognised and respected logo _ companies fall over themselves offering money to display them.

And anyway, contraduictory is not necessarily bad _ it means the logo can mean different things to different people.

Archived