Outdoor Olympic Ceremonies Afterall?

mr.x

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.....I disagree. Surely, surely, surely, innovations in architecture have evolved enough for this to be a minor problem. The ribs that I've spoken about are not impossible to replace. I don't think the teflon roof is actually heavy. In the statistics given for the Georgia Dome, it has been stated that if the roof was stuffed into a giant bag, a average sized man would still be able to lift it. I also read somewhere that the roof of BC PLace is going to be employed as a giant canvas on which to project artistic lighting imagery. If that is so, I'm gathering that there will be no light fixtures in the roof so the support ribs will actually not have so much weight after all. So the mechanical door mechanism seems to be , for right now, the only logical option. JUST DO IT Vancouver K?

ummm....yea....the fabric roof weighs 280 tons. There will be 360 degree projection in the stadium, but at the same time it doesn't mean you can't have fixtures on it. In fact, a new teflon roof would probably have even more ribs to support the ceremony fixtures.

From reliable sources:

The contract for stadium renovations has already been awarded.....Dominoin Farmile will be doing the renovations and PavCo cannot and will not legally change contractors in order to build a retractrable roof. Ledcor lost the project to Dominion. This is a build as you design project.

A retractable roof is still the primary intention. Ledcor dropped out simply because they did not think they had the resources to complete a retractable roof in less than two years.

Then use a next idea....dear henry.......dear henry.......dear henry! Then use a next idea......dear henry....use a next idea!

Why not have External Pylon Tension Support for the roof?(not exactly in the fasion of Munich's Olympic Stadium but something along those lines but with less drama)

Then use a next idea....dear henry.......dear henry.......dear henry! Then use a next idea......dear henry....use a next idea!

Why not have External Pylon Tension Support for the roof?(not exactly in the fasion of Munich's Olympic Stadium but something along those lines but with less drama)

One of the options may be to have these roof and major stadium upgrades AFTER the Games....again, it is just an option. If this option goes ahead, the stadium will receive $4-million in minor upgrades for the ceremonies (as originally planned by VANOC)...for washrooms and accessibility. So far, it looks like construction will not be beginning this month...apparently that was from the preliminary plan.

There is a concern that there is a lack of labour resources (and time), as doing these renovations would require at least a thousand skilled personnel. They also don't have a budget to work with, as the city won't complete its land review until October. The surrounding lands around BC Place will be sold off to developers to build office/condo towers, and stadium renovation designs depend on the budget they work with and that budget relies on how much the land is worth.

If this really does happen, I will have to say that this city is really full of incompetent leaders. We won the Games in 2003, and they didn't think of it then to do this?

^ oh no, 2010 security is set to be the largest national peacetime military mission in Canadian history. i can assure you that we will be giving everything we've got on that one.

What them 14 ceremonial Canadian Mounties, 12 British Royal Guards, the Moose and the kitchen sink? Total cost of 50,000,000 Simoleons? ;)

What them 14 ceremonial Canadian Mounties, 12 British Royal Guards, the Moose and the kitchen sink? Total cost of 50,000,000 Simoleons? ;)

oh no, we're using an army of beavers and deer for security. as well, Canadian geese will be making air patrols over the city.

oh no, we're using an army of beavers and deer for security. as well, Canadian geese will be making air patrols over the city.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those Canadian geese can drop major bombs, so to speak

Is security going to be a Canadian/US joint venture? If I recall correctly, Canada helped us out during Salt Lake.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those Canadian geese can drop major bombs, so to speak

Is security going to be a Canadian/US joint venture? If I recall correctly, Canada helped us out during Salt Lake.

It will be a combination of CSIS, RCMP and the Canadian Armed Forces. I think there will be a formal request for increased security on the boarder on the American side and more security checks on all outgoing air traffic to Canada. There will be cooperation, but I highly doubt American presence during the games.

It will be a combination of CSIS, RCMP and the Canadian Armed Forces. I think there will be a formal request for increased security on the boarder on the American side and more security checks on all outgoing air traffic to Canada. There will be cooperation, but I highly doubt American presence during the games.

Yea - that sounds about like what happened during SLC.

Don't forget the Vancouver Police Department, which is separate from the RCMP. It's part of the 2010 Integrated Security Unit.

With regards to American cooperation:

Washington State proposes $71 million security plan for Canadian Olympics

BELLINGHAM, Wash., Jan. 9 (UPI) -- The expected increase in border traffic due to the Vancouver Olympics has officials in Washington state calling for U.S. Homeland Security Department funds.

Officials from Whatcom County, which borders the Canadian province of British Columbia, have begun lobbying the U.S. government for $71.3 million to assist in the expected increase in border traffic and potential terrorist threats the Vancouver 2010 Olympics will have on the northern border county, the Vancouver Province reported.

Pete Kremen, a Whatcom County executive, says as a result of the volume of people expected to cross the border during the Olympics, the county will need the additional funds to fight the potential of a terrorist threat.

Whatcom officials estimate that of the 450,000 expected to attend the Games, approximately two-thirds will travel from the United States, the majority of whom will take the interstate highway connecting route.

If granted, the government funds would pay for a regional emergency operations center, coordinating radio and phones between American and Canadian officials and additional equipment for emergency response officials among other security related items.

County officials will take their multimillion-dollar request to Washington, D.C., Jan. 16.

© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what this is about, but it appears that it is referring to BC Place Stadium. It can't be about the indoor sport venues, since all of their structures are complete.

link

28-02-2008: Cepco in talks on Vancouver Winter Olympic indoor stadium

by Yantoultra Ngui Yichen

KUALA LUMPUR: Concrete Engineering Products Bhd (Cepco) is in talks with Canada on the development of the indoor stadium for the Winter Olympic 2010 in Vancouver, said its managing director Nelson Leong.

“It is still in the enquiring stage though, like how much it is to produce the piles, and how much it is to ship to Vancouver,” he told reporters after Cepco’s AGM here yesterday.

On the value of the contract, he said it would only be confirmed by the end of this month, adding that it would make the necessary announcement when the deal was finalised.

The pre-stressed spun concrete piles and poles manufacturer was currently focusing on the export market such as the Middle East especially Iran, said Leong.

Currently, its revenue contribution from exports was 15% and it expected export sales to increase in tandem with its overseas expansion plan, he added.

Leong said Cepco had an outstanding order book of RM80 million, which would keep the company busy until the end of this fiscal year ending Aug 31, 2008 (FY08).

On the local front, Leong said Cepco was confident of securing a RM150 million contract from UEM Builders Bhd to supply marine piles for the second Penang bridge project.

“Our marine piles were successfully tested for the second Penang bridge in July last year,” he said.

He added that three points along the site of the bridge were tested with its 1,000mm diameter marine piles and they all passed the respective tests.

Apart from the bridge project, Leong said Cepco was also bidding for contracts in the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) projects such as the electric double-tracking rail project.

There are only two players in the spun concrete pile industry locally, with its only competitor being Industrial Concrete Product Bhd (ICP).

Cepco has four plants located in Sungai Petani, Pasir Gudang, Rawang and Nilai, with an annual production capacity of 830,000 tonnes in total.

For its first quarter ended Nov 30, 2007, Cepco’s net profit surged 227.5% to RM1.41 million from RM433,000 a year earlier on the back of improved demand and delivery of its products.

I read that article three times now and I still didn't understand what it was trying to say...

Maybe james wrote it. :lol:

If there's any credence to that article, it might refer to the Indoor ice-skating course, the only NEW indoor Vancouver venue. But what I find strange is that Canada would have to order these things from half a world away?

Maybe james wrote it. :lol:

If there's any credence to that article, it might refer to the Indoor ice-skating course, the only NEW indoor Vancouver venue. But what I find strange is that Canada would have to order these things from half a world away?

But the problem is that all the indoor sport venues for the 2010 Games are finished....or at least their exterior structures, only interior finishings need to be finished with all indoor venues opening in summer 2008.

Note that there are 3 new indoor venues for Vancouver (Richmond oval, UBC sports centre, and Hillcrest curling).

Major renovation plan in the works

B.C. PLACE

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

FEBRUARY 29, 2008

B.C. Place Stadium is getting a new roof and maybe a new name.

The B.C. Pavilion Corporation's 2008-09 to 2010-11 service plan, published yesterday, said "B.C. Place will undertake a major renovation plan, including a roof replacement, to keep it viable for at least the next 20 years."

It also said naming rights may be put up for sale. However, International Olympic Committee rules prohibit Games-time advertising, including corporate venue names.

Chairman David Podmore is working on a plan to refurbish the 25-year-old taxpayer-owned stadium. The service plan said work is expected to begin during the 2008-09 fiscal year. It also forecasts $41.65 million for capital projects through 2010-11.

PavCo, which also operates the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre, is facing a labour crunch. Most staffers average 44 years old and have been with the company for 15 years. The mandatory age 65 retirement policy has been scrapped.

"Replacement of their skill sets is difficult in the current market." B.C. Place has a particularly high turnover because of event schedule fluctuations.

Neither Podmore nor PavCo CEO Warren Buckley could be reached for comment