Outdoor Olympic Ceremonies Afterall?

I watched the same report, and it just seemed like theorizing on the part of Brian Coxford, theorizing that has no place in a news story. I don't know what he might now about the plans or not, but he gave no indication that this could be the plan aside from saying "this might be how its done."

It doesn't seem like a terribly practical idea to begin with.

well, it better not be true. otherwise, it'd be one of the cheapest and most retarded ideas ever created by anyone involved in Olympic opening ceremony business.

i would laugh so hard if the air lock smothered the cauldron's flame.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Vancouver 2010 Winter Games Symposia On Ceremonies

Posted 2:11 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

A Vancouver media release says that more than 100 respected leaders in Canada’s artistic scene, representing some of the country’s most influential artists, cultural and theatrical practitioners, directors, writers, designers and community leaders, gathered in Vancouver Friday until Feb. 4 and over the next two weekends to participate in six Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games Ceremonies Symposia.

The symposia are being held to ensure the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Games present a new vision and understanding of contemporary Canada to the world and will inform participants about the Ceremonies and the venues where they will be staged.

Between 25 and 35 different participants will take part in open, unencumbered discussion and a free exchange of ideas at the symposia, said Vancouver 2010 officials. Participants have been selected to represent different artistic milieu and to represent each Canadian province and region.

The program includes briefings on the VANOC brand and the required elements of Olympic Ceremonies (such as the lighting of the Olympic Flame, the parade of athletes, the raising of the Olympic Flag) as well as other “spectacular” elements including pyrotechnics costumes, music and anthems. Each symposium will also include a visit to BC Place Stadium and a session to present feedback and ideas.

David Guscott, executive vice president, Celebrations and Partnerships with Vancouver 2010 said, “the 2010 Winter Games Ceremonies Symposia give Canada’s cultural and artistic community an opportunity to directly engage, inform and actively contribute to the Ceremonies process. By participating in the symposia, contributors are helping us reach our goal of portraying the essence and soul of Canada to a worldwide television audience of up to three billion…no small feat. We’re grateful for their help”.

David Atkins, Opening and Closing Ceremonies Executive Producer, and producer of the Sydney 2000 Summer Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and his team, will use feedback and ideas from the symposia to inform the unique story of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. They will use the feedback and input to help build a creative concept that truly captures the spirit of Vancouver/Whistler Canada and Canadians “through innovative, engaging and ultimately spectacularly memorable Ceremonies” said Vancouver 2010.

Celine Dion to open 2010 Olympics

By Damian Inwood, The Province

Published: Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Turin 2006 Olympic opening ceremonies had opera superstar Luciano Pavarotti.

Vancouver 2010 has Céline Dion.

Turin had a tire-squealing Ferrari.

Vancouver has Jet Skis.

But according to producer David Atkins, the 2010 opening ceremonies at B.C. Place Stadium aren't about competing with previous Olympic extravaganzas.

"We can meet all that stuff easily," said Atkins, executive producer of 2010's opening and closing ceremonies. "I think here we've got Céline Dion, and you've got those Jet Skis and Ski-Doos and stuff. From our point of view, it's to make [the opening ceremony] as reflective of Vancouver, B.C. and Canada as it can be."

Atkins and 2010 staff are conducting a series of brainstorming weekends with more than 100 of Canada's top arts and culture movers and shakers to determine the message Canada wants to convey to the world.

"We're dealing with global themes, messages and symbols," said Atkins, who also produced the opening and closing ceremonies for the Sydney 2000 Summer Games.

Starting this weekend, there will be three workshops held "under strict confidentiality to encourage open, unencumbered discussion and a free exchange of ideas," he said.

Atkins said the much-maligned ice-fishing segment of Vancouver's handover ceremony in Turin doesn't put any pressure on organizers to do better in 2010.

Premier Gordon Campbell later lashed the Turin closing ceremony display by saying, "I thought there were lots of stereotypes that are not what the new Canada is."

According to Atkins, contracts to present the Olympic closing ceremony previews are a "poisoned shell."

"It's an unusual circumstance where a handover ceremony is resoundingly welcomed by the host city presenting it," he said.

Atkins said the same thing happened to Sydney organizers after the handover ceremony at the closing ceremonies of the Atlanta 1996 Olympics.

Australian media became obsessed by the use of "kids dressed as kangaroos on bikes. That was asked in every media interview for the next four years," he said.

dinwood@png.canwest.com

^ And there the media goes and misleads once again. Have they really lined up Celine Dion or is this just Atkins making an analogy? I think the latter.

it's an analogy.....but what do you expect from Vancouver's own tabloid paper, the Province? They put a spin on everything, sadly this today's top story on the front page.

Yes, but they put "Celine Dion to Open 2010 Olympics" as the headline in an article about how the creative process for the ceremonies has just begun. I'm sure this is also news for Celine. Typical crap from a crap newspaper.

Edited by Kendegra

Maybe, just maybe, they will reinvent Lillehammer and build a temporary stadium in whistler? Then transport the flame Via Satellite to a culdorn atop Vancouver city hall. The concept of forward thinking just doesn't seem to be a part of Vancouver 2010....bummer.

The walls and the foundation of the building weren't built to carry a heavier roof. So it will be a teflon roof again.

If they had more time, they could've built a second structure outside the stadium to support a retractable roof.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why they're thinking about this now 2 years until the Games when this should've been thought of 5 yeas ago when we brought home the Games from Prague. We could've had a really snazzy stadium and perhaps even snazzier ceremonies...assuming it doesn't rain.

Maybe, just maybe, they will reinvent Lillehammer and build a temporary stadium in whistler? Then transport the flame Via Satellite to a culdorn atop Vancouver city hall. The concept of forward thinking just doesn't seem to be a part of Vancouver 2010....bummer.

There's no space in Whistler....and the Olympic Stadium must stay in Vancouver as this is the official host city, thus "Vancouver 2010" and not "Whistler 2010". Though a temporary 8,000 seat stadium is being built for the Whistler Olympic Medal Ceremonies, Paralympic Medal Ceremonies, and Paralympic Closing Ceremony.

Via satellite? You mean copy what Montreal did? No. Terrible ideas.

Maybe, just maybe, they will reinvent Lillehammer and build a temporary stadium in whistler?

Which temporary stadium? They used the ski jump arena.

I think you are refering to Albertville that used a temporary theatre for its ceremonies.

Back to Vancouver, I am not one of the forum ceremonies guru but isn't it kind of late in the process to have this kind of questions? With more or less two years to go to the Opening, I would think that some of the major logistical aspects of the ceremonies linked to the stadium would have been settled.

Yeah, it is late. The province and the city are both turning their eyes toward the stadium just now? Two years go to? Most of us on this forum noted long ago that BC Place is out of date, in need of renovation, and not the most spectacular venue to host an Olympic ceremony. How can this be an oversight?

I believe the answer to this is politics. They likely have a plan but didn't want to make it public too early for fear of a public backlash on spending. It might be easier to push something through when it is viewed as an emergency or potential embarrassment than through a lengthy open discussion.

Yeah, it is late. The province and the city are both turning their eyes toward the stadium just now? Two years go to? Most of us on this forum noted long ago that BC Place is out of date, in need of renovation, and not the most spectacular venue to host an Olympic ceremony. How can this be an oversight?

I believe the answer to this is politics. They likely have a plan but didn't want to make it public too early for fear of a public backlash on spending. It might be easier to push something through when it is viewed as an emergency or potential embarrassment than through a lengthy open discussion.

The good old Athens 2004 "Nooooo prooobleeeeeeem!" situation. :rolleyes:

Proposal.

here is a proposal that was inspired by the "mechanical gates" opening in so many sci fi pictures. Now Follow.

Those of you who watch a lot of sci -fi flicks will remember that when a smaller space craft is docking into a larger space craft, the hold or dock of the larger space craft is usually opened by a "mechanical gates mechanism" of some sort.

Now, let us apply that concept to a small portion of the roof of the BC place stadium directly above the culdron, which, I am guessing, will be located at the rim of the uppermost tier of seats in the stadium.

After the culdorn is lit indoors, the "petals" of the mechanical gates mechanism open slowly and the culdron is pushed upwards through the opening, above the stadium and the skyline of vancouver. A part of the inspiration of this idea came from the Nikki Taylor segment during the Sydney2000 closing, when she rises on a pole while singing until she is just about under the olympic flame.

If a small sloping or leaning steel arch can be incorporated into the design of the roof, on the uppermost tire of the stadium, I can't see how it won't work.

If someone should post a aerial view of the stadium's roof, I'll show you what I mean.

Thank You very much Ken!

Now, as is clearly visible, the stadium's shape is somewhat oblong in nature. Notice that there is a triangle of fabric smack dab in the middle of either of the shorter sides of the stadium. Even if the "arch idea" may prove to be problematic, the frabric in one of the two triangular could be removed first, and then the supporting "rib" structures that make up the two longer sides of the tringle could be replaced with much stronger support "ribs" that can facilitate the conversion of that area into "the mechanical gates" mechanism. does anyone see what I mean?

to cfm......if you visit the site of the opening in Lillehammer today, I'm sure you will see that the everything else is gone except, of course for the sky slope.

Indeed, all is gone img002k001231.jpg... <_<

Nice try.

The problem with that scenario is that the only thing holding up the roof is air pressure. BC Place is kind of like a Jiffy Pop container or a balloon. That's why the roof collapsed last year - at exactly the triangle thing you referred to (on the Terry Fox Way side). It actually popped and deflated like a balloon. The "ribs" do not hold it up, they just hold it in place and anchor some of the light and sound equipment.

Well, what if, for the renovations, the roof structure is replaced by "ribs' that actually do support the roof frabric thereby cancelling all reliance on air pressure? I can't see that being a grotesquely impossibly thing to do.

Well, what if, for the renovations, the roof structure is replaced by "ribs' that actually do support the roof frabric thereby cancelling all reliance on air pressure? I can't see that being a grotesquely impossibly thing to do.

I think for the spans involved and the weight of the teflon roof resting on those ribs PLUS hanging all the theatrical lighting and stuff, it might not be technically feasible, and one might as well install a heavy truss roof; or erect a whole new stadium.

Why so much agony over a little bit of fire?

cos the media are often about negative news from any developing country.