Outdoor Olympic Ceremonies Afterall?

mr.x

^ are you talking about Whitecaps Stadium? It only seats 15,000 (expandable to 30,000 in the future) and there's quite a bit of political staggering on that project. They had originally hoped to build it by 2009, but right now it looks like we won't be seeing completion until 2013 - assuming it gets approved soon.

Retractable roof for the Dome?

B.C. PLACE

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS | January 29, 2008

B.C. Place Stadium's next roof could be retractable.

"We're looking at all options, including air-supported, non air-supported," said David Podmore, chairman of B.C. Pavilion Corp. "We are certainly looking at options that would allow for opening."

Podmore is compiling a renovation budget wish-list for the provincial government. A new roof could be installed before the 2010 Winter Olympics. If it is retractable, it won't be rigid like Seattle's Safeco Field or Toronto's Rogers Centre.

"Any options we're looking at we anticipate will be fabric roofs," he said.

The 25th anniversary of B.C. Place's opening is June 19.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people REALLY surprised? I didn't think for a minute that any business about a "ring of fire" or an elaborate indoor ventillation system to maintain proper temperature, air quality, and dome supporting pressure was actually going to HAPPEN. It was just fun postulation that came to its peak pre-Torino. Now it's time for the adults to talk business, kids. :P

This retractable roof idea seems a little risky, the safe (and cheapest) option would be to simply show the cauldron lighting from outside the stadium on the video screens or a projector projecting images on the pitch or a flat screen like setup on the field.

The second option I could think of is to remove the roof and add temporary roofing around the stadium (If there sufficient budget, maybe even build sky boxes around the top level of the stadium)

Oh well, if the retractable roof does go ahead, let's hope it is finished on time and withing a reasonable budget.

Fate of BC Place divides city council

Developing adjacent land would pay for renovation, but some say Olympic venue is getting special treatment

DEENA KAMEL YOUSEF HUSSEIN

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

January 29, 2008 at 4:52 AM EST

VANCOUVER — A BC Place request to develop surrounding lands to finance the 25-year old stadium's expensive refurbishment is sharply dividing city councillors who will debate it on Thursday.

The landmark domed stadium, which attracted national attention when its inflated roof ripped and collapsed in a storm last year, is badly in need of repair before the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The stadium is slated to be used for the opening and closing ceremonies.

David Podmore, chairman of the stadium's operator, BC Pavilion Corp., asked the City of Vancouver to change its False Creek North Official Development Plan by the end of 2008 to allow commercial and residential development on surrounding vacant land. The proceeds would be used to refurbish the stadium and maintain it for another 30 years. The stadium generates $58-million a year and is home to 200 annual events.

"We're at a point where we want to retain BC Place. ... It is an absolutely critical facility for Vancouver's economic viability," Councillor David Cadman said.

Tearing it down would cost about $600-million, he estimated.

The B.C. government is looking at the cost of repairs and evaluating whether the land development would cover the expenses, Mr. Cadman said.

But Councillor Raymond Louie said the request from BC Place is receiving "preferential treatment." He said BC Place is being looked at in a high-level review, which also includes GM Place, the Plaza of Nations, and Concord, of possible future uses of nearby land.

He said he supports renovating the stadium and that it is a "special" place in Vancouver, but he still wants an "equitable" process in which the cases of the land near the three other sites is considered at the same time.

Trish French, assistant of planning for the central area, said the reviews of development possibilities for BC Place and the other three are running "parallel." While BC Place would get an official development plan amendment four months earlier than the others if council agrees to its request, the other three development requests will get the same amount of attention, she added.

The provincial government is investing "a large amount of money" in rehabilitating BC Place and wants "reasonable assurances of the development potential" before investing, Ms. French added. She said it is the only site in this area that has no development potential in the official development plan. "There is no cost or detriment to other owners," she added.

Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan said he supports BC Place, noting its importance to Vancouver's economy, tourism and infrastructure. "I am certainly recommending that we go forward and work with the province to upgrade the facility over the next few years," he said.

City council will reach a decision on Thursday afternoon, according to Mr. Louie.

New dome roof coming before 2010 Games?

B.C. PLACE

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

B.C. Place Stadium's fabric roof could be replaced before the 2010 Winter Olympics.

"We're investigating that right now," said B.C. Pavilion Corp. chairman David Podmore, who is working on a comprehensive budget for overall stadium renovations.

After he finishes the report in six weeks, Podmore hopes the provincial government will give the 25-year-old taxpayer-owned stadium another 25 years of life. B.C. Place, he said, is an economic-generating community asset that would be too costly to replace.

"Just like your house, nobody should be surprised you have to replace the roof after 25 years or upgrade your kitchens and bathrooms," he said. "The basic building is a very sound building and it's worth additional investments."

The recently released Geiger Engineers' investigation of the Jan. 5, 2007 snow-caused roof collapse recommended planning for eventual replacement of the roof, which is near the end of its estimated lifespan. Not all renovations would be ready for the Games, but "we can do certain things that will be improvements for 2010," Podmore said.

Podmore will ask city council's planning committee on Thursday to study allowing development next to the stadium. Podmore wants to fund the renovations by selling the parking lot outside Gate G and an area at Pacific Boulevard and Griffiths Way to developers. Meanwhile, Podmore declined to comment when asked what decisions the PavCo board has made on the future of B.C. Place management, headed by general manager Howard Crosley. He later said "we have a high level of confidence in the team that's there."

"Any options we're looking at we anticipate will be fabric roofs," he said.[/b][/color]

Jan 28 2008

Mo Rush said: "There is enough time to build a retractable roof. They would need about 1 year to be safe. So Jan 2009 - Jan 2010 would be fine. Off-site construction would be best and simply installing the roof at the site. A fabric roof would be an option to save costs and there are various great options. The only way the roof could become an issue is if they "overthink" the process and don't make a decision by June."

Jan 28 2008

Mo Rush said: "There is enough time to build a retractable roof. They would need about 1 year to be safe. So Jan 2009 - Jan 2010 would be fine. Off-site construction would be best and simply installing the roof at the site. A fabric roof would be an option to save costs and there are various great options. The only way the roof could become an issue is if they "overthink" the process and don't make a decision by June."

I suppose a roof like that on Telstra Dome (Docklands Stadium), Melbourne, Australia, would be deemed too expensive? Or unable to be finished on time?

I suppose a roof like that on Telstra Dome (Docklands Stadium), Melbourne, Australia, would be deemed too expensive? Or unable to be finished on time?

In South Africa it wouldn't be, but abroad they seem to take ages to build things and at insane prices due to much higher labour costs. Essentially they could start in June and complete a retractable roof like Telstra Dome by late 2009. Or with a fabric option start later and finish about the same time. . To be safe though, they have to start in June/July this year.

At Frankfurt's Waldstadion the entire cable and net structure had to be built during an 8 week period coinciding with the Bundesliga summer break.

I wonder if replacing it with a retractable roof is cost-efficient given Vancouver's weather -- and they have to get it done in like 21 months at most now. (I would think VANOC and the Ceremonies people need to move in there by the end of November '09 at the VERY LATEST.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

A roof like Telstra's is way too heavy for BC Place to support. A second exterior roof structure would have to be built, and it would be extremely expensive...lots of steelwork too, which means there probably isn't enough time.

The only options at this point are teflon coated fibre optic fabric roofs: closed like what we have today or retractable.

I wonder if replacing it with a retractable roof is cost-efficient given Vancouver's weather -- and they have to get it done in like 21 months at most now. (I would think VANOC and the Ceremonies people need to move in there by the end of November '09 at the VERY LATEST.)

I think VANOC has a contract with BC Place to move in there by November '09.

Don't be so paranoid. There is enough time for a telstra or some fabric. They only question or risk is when they actually start or make a decision. The construction is less of risk than possible "overthinking"/ infighting that wastes time before a decision.

Don't be so paranoid. There is enough time for a telstra or some fabric. They only question or risk is when they actually start or make a decision. The construction is less of risk than possible "overthinking"/ infighting that wastes time before a decision.

If you lived here, you'd understand. We overthink every little detail.

UMMMM.......I never once implied that they will put the culdron on the roof so don't go all GODIVA's on me K? If you were reading ( that is, if you ca... well, let's not go there) but if you were reading you would have noticed that I mentioned about the flame being on top of vancouver's tallest building. Go get your bi focals and check.....AGAIN!

Additionally, the flame (and I'm guessing Vancouver doesn't do something stupid that is unprecedented in Olympic history- sorta like the handover ceremoney in torino..member?) will be burning for the duration of the games. There will be issues pertaining to the proper ventilation of the stadium because the flame will eat up so much oxygen. I'm also wondering what olympic sports will be taking place in BC Stadium because it would be mighty silly to have the olympic flame indoors in a venue that will not be used for sporting events. the underlying philosophy being that the flame will be seen by thousands of cheering.......seats.

DO YAH Remember?

UMMMM.......I never once implied that they will put the culdron on the roof so don't go all GODIVA's on me K? If you were reading ( that is, if you ca... well, let's not go there) but if you were reading you would have noticed that I mentioned about the flame being on top of vancouver's tallest building. Go get your bi focals and check.....AGAIN!

Additionally, the flame (and I'm guessing Vancouver doesn't do something stupid that is unprecedented in Olympic history- sorta like the handover ceremoney in torino..member?) will be burning for the duration of the games. There will be issues pertaining to the proper ventilation of the stadium because the flame will eat up so much oxygen. I'm also wondering what olympic sports will be taking place in BC Stadium because it would be mighty silly to have the olympic flame indoors in a venue that will not be used for sporting events. the underlying philosophy being that the flame will be seen by thousands of cheering.......seats.

DO YAH Remember?

*yawn* .... *plays a violin*

From David Podmore on Global BC's News Hour:

"We're looking at all the concession and food services in the building, the washrooms and the public plazas, the concourses and the circulation areas...you know, to see what we can do to bring them to up today standard."

When asked about a retractable roof:

"Well, that would be my hope, but there is a lot of work to be done to determine if that is actually feasible."

The city councillors at yesterday's public meeting were all very unanimous in supporting a rehabitated stadium. As well, Global BC reports that the renovations would cost at least $100 million. That's quite a bit more than what Torino and Salt Lake spent on their stadium renovations.

Revamp plan for BC Place gets fast track

Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

Published: Friday, February 01, 2008

VANCOUVER - The City of Vancouver will fast-track a redevelopment plan for the lands around BC Place Stadium to ensure the 25-year-old dome is renovated in time for the 2010 Olympic Games.

Councillors agreed unanimously tonight to a proposal by BC Pavilion Corp. to have staff review the official development plan for the 6.56-hectare site by October.

PavCo had asked the city to amend the development plan for the area, which is part of the False Creek North Official Development Plan, because it wants to sell some of the vacant land for commercial and residential towers and put the money toward refurbishing the dome.

The company will contribute 50 per cent of the $290,000 study, which is expected to go to a public hearing in October when the report is finished.

Councillors voted to support the proposal, maintaining that BC Place is a huge draw for visitors and a boon to tourism and the economy. The stadium generates about 200 event days a year, resulting in $58.1 million in economic activity in 2007.

BC Place is hosting the opening and closing ceremonies for the Olympic Games.

Coun. Suzanne Anton said it is good news the stadium will be refurbished and kept on the site.

"I know for the last few years now we all feared that the stadium would come tumbling down but it's standing firm now," she said. "It's very good for Vancouver that the stadium is back on solid ground."

However, the proposal to speed up the stadium development plan, without the inclusion of other areas of False Creek north, has frustrated some residents who say they are still waiting for amenities such as a park to materialize.

"This plan has been hatched in secret behind closed doors," said Patsy McMillan, of the Citygate Inter-town Community Group and False Creek Residents' Association.

Coun. Raymond Louie suggested amending the proposal to include the entire area but the motion was rejected after staff said it didn't have the workers or the time to complete the entire project by October.

The fact that other players, such as the Plaza of Nations, Tri-Power Developments and Concord Pacific support the proposal also swayed the majority of council to reject the amendment.

The development plan, which was started last May, was intended to be finished within 13 months but was delayed by the city's inability to recruit staff for the project and the three-month city strike.

The decision to hang on to the stadium comes after several years of speculation that the provincial government would tear it down, speculation fanned by some of the people eyeing the valuable piece of downtown land for development.

The speculation reached fever pitch last year when the roof on what's billed as the world's "largest air-supported domed stadium" ripped and then collapsed during a period of heavy snowfall.

Global has just said it is possible the Olympic cauldron would be lit inside the stadium, be raised up through an air lock chamber in the roof, and then it will erected outside for everyone to see....sort of like another Sydney cauldron, without the horizontal movement and waterfall.

From David Podmore on Global BC's News Hour:

"We're looking at all the concession and food services in the building, the washrooms and the public plazas, the concourses and the circulation areas...you know, to see what we can do to bring them to up today standard."

When asked about a retractable roof:

Hmmm.... there is a 'daveypodmore' posting on the London Aquatics thread, and he doesn't seem flakey. The real McCoy?

They're really over-thinking this issue.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If I remember correctly....the original bid included the idea that the entire external perimeter of the stadium walls would be the cauldron.

In other words, the top of the rim, but not near the roof.

Global has just said it is possible the Olympic cauldron would be lit inside the stadium, be raised up through an air lock chamber in the roof, and then it will erected outside for everyone to see....sort of like another Sydney cauldron, without the horizontal movement and waterfall.

I watched the same report, and it just seemed like theorizing on the part of Brian Coxford, theorizing that has no place in a news story. I don't know what he might now about the plans or not, but he gave no indication that this could be the plan aside from saying "this might be how its done."

It doesn't seem like a terribly practical idea to begin with.