Bidindex 2016

Could be the stars (which is their logo) are lining up for Chicago. The likely U.S. president come January 20, 2009 will be from Chicago -- so you know it will have Washington's fullest backing; the troops will hopefully be coming back from Irak; and there is always the appeal of a new occupant in the White House that folks like the IOC'ers like to have calling on them. GBMod, did you factor that in?

Probably one of the hardest choices the IOC would have to make. Reward the United States if Barack Obama is the new president which would put an entirely new dimension on How the United States is viewed by the World or go to Rio which is the Front runner with the Facilities in Place to a great Extent. Also fullfilling the desire of the IOC to get the Games to South America and Africa soon .

Yeah So Much for Rio would build a New Athletics Stadium in the Barra district Roltel . Like I have said before João Havelange Will be increased to 60000 seats all under cover for Brazil 2014 and then they will take the end zone roofs off for the Olympics between August 2014 and 2016 put temporary Scafolding seating like Sydney 2000 had. The Same Architects for Both Stadiums Rider Hunt. Very good Long term planning and as Jacques Rogge said hosting the world Cup in 2014 enhances the Chance for Rio in his mind. Certainly the Transportation improvements would spill over and the Volunteers for the World cup would be an Advantage.

I dont think Baron you can factor in Barack Obama at this point because of the History of the IOC to reject North American bids wholesale. Obama's election would bring a C change but could the Damage of W bush be repaired in time ?

Los Angeles occupies the top position for number of Failed bids never actually having been awarded , Montreal is Second for number of Attempts followed by Lake Placid in third. North American cities and tried and Failed more then any other continents candidates ironically while they have hosted highly profitable Games with Bona Fide Profits only coming in North America. Europeans general dont like profits It must remind them of their colonial days in the new world Africa and Asia LOL.

Obama would add and interesting dimension but his presidency is not assured yet. Chicago does not have an advantage over Rio in regards to the Golden Time Zone for the Largest Revenue source for the IOC being American TV. You may see a bit of an advantage for Chicago for domestic interest but not the advantage that Chicago would have Vs. Toyko or Doha. Tokyo I can see winning simply because there has never been a repeat city outside of London, Paris , Athens and Rome for the awarding of the summer Games . LA well the Europeans certainly helped to put the Games in situations that almost ended the Games and Los Angeles was good enough to show how capitalism is the way to go even with the olympics.

jim jones

Considering that Atlanta got the Olympics (& not to mention, only on their *first* try) just 12 years after Los Angeles, pretty much throws a wrench in to your theory. In the early days of the IOC that could be seen, but in the last 50 years is where North America has seen the bulk of it's Olympic Games. Eight Games in the span of 50 years, in a continent that only has 3 countries that can realistically & seriously mount competing bids, is a very, very good record.

And the only repeat Summer hosts have been London, Paris, Athens & Los Angeles. Rome has hosted only once. The IOC voting on such a criteria is highly doubtful, to say the least. If Tokyo were to win, it would be because they had the most galvanizing plan that the IOC members would be tripping & drooling themselves over, & not for the sake of "simply" having another repeat host. There's no real incentive on the latter.

And the only repeat Summer hosts have been London, Paris, Athens & Los Angeles. Rome has hosted only once. The IOC voting on such a criteria is highly doubtful, to say the least. If Tokyo were to win, it would be because they had the most galvanizing plan that the IOC members would be tripping & drooling themselves over, & not for the sake of "simply" having another repeat host. There's no real incentive on the latter.

Exactly. And it's just too close to Beijing '08. If Tokyo were hosting this year, and Beijing gunning for '16, then I'd say Beijing would be the heads-on favorite over Chicago. But Japan is really a "B" Summer sports power now (OK, an "A" in figure skating), so a sporting legacy is not much in their favor vis-a-vis the 2016 race. Also, I believe attendance at the IAAF event in Osaka was rather spotty.

jim jones wrote:

Los Angeles occupies the top position for number of Failed bids never actually having been awarded

So, what was your count - 8 or 9? But to have gotten it 2x out of those 8 or 9 ain't a bad record. You can't win it unless you're in it.

Yeah So Much for Rio would build a New Athletics Stadium in the Barra district Roltel . Like I have said before João Havelange Will be increased to 60000 seats all under cover for Brazil 2014 and then they will take the end zone roofs off for the Olympics between August 2014 and 2016 put temporary Scafolding seating like Sydney 2000 had. The Same Architects for Both Stadiums Rider Hunt. Very good Long term planning and as Jacques Rogge said hosting the world Cup in 2014 enhances the Chance for Rio in his mind. Certainly the Transportation improvements would spill over and the Volunteers for the World cup would be an Advantage.

Before you get into the character assassinations again JJ, I'll just point out:

* Where have I made any criticism or comment about the Barra plans? About the only time I've mentioned it is to request info on it from the Brazzis.

* I've made myself pretty clear on the board here re: 2016. My heart says Rio, my head says Chicago. I'd put Chicago odds-on at this stage. Rio's biggest challenge will be to make the shortlist. IF, with six months to go and RIO is still in the race with a chance, I'm ready to jump on the Rio bandwagon and samba my support big time. They're really the only two bidders I like this round anyway.

* Don't take Rogge's comments about the WC being a positive too seriously. He'll tell any audience what it wants to hear (he learned from the master, JAS). It's the sponsorship opportunities that the WC really sours in a big way for 2016. I'd say there are negatives and positives from the WC proximity, with the negatives slightly bigger, but (hopefully to me) not overwhelmingly so.

Dubai und Kopenhagen sind grosse,grosse Favoriten für organisation Sommer Olimpischen spielen 2020.

nyhavn-kopenhagen.jpg

Kopenhagen 2020

Um, Zenica. That's got nothing to do with the 2016 bid index. If you want to tout who your personal favourites for the future are, it's be better off as a new thread in the Future Bids forum.

Only Rio is a bit overrated, but the others are okay.

At this point, I think BidIndex is so ok. We don't have a big favourite and I think Rio is not overrated.

Before you get into the character assassinations again JJ, I'll just point out:

* Where have I made any criticism or comment about the Barra plans? About the only time I've mentioned it is to request info on it from the Brazzis.

* I've made myself pretty clear on the board here re: 2016. My heart says Rio, my head says Chicago. I'd put Chicago odds-on at this stage. Rio's biggest challenge will be to make the shortlist. IF, with six months to go and RIO is still in the race with a chance, I'm ready to jump on the Rio bandwagon and samba my support big time. They're really the only two bidders I like this round anyway.

* Don't take Rogge's comments about the WC being a positive too seriously. He'll tell any audience what it wants to hear (he learned from the master, JAS). It's the sponsorship opportunities that the WC really sours in a big way for 2016. I'd say there are negatives and positives from the WC proximity, with the negatives slightly bigger, but (hopefully to me) not overwhelmingly so.

The only character assassinations in regards to Rio is the ASSumption that you made of yourself that João Havelange would not be used as the main athletics stadium .

you stated that a very long time ago about youir theory on a Main Stadium at Barra crapping on the Seoul Theory of Staging the Olympics off a recent Sports festivals Legacy Venues.

The plans are very clear with the Capacity easily going to 60000 for the world cup and then they would have 2 years to take off the end roofs and put in temporary staging per what is required for a main stadium for the Games. Throwing away a Stadium that is right beside an urban Rail line that runs to Marcana would be rather dumb.

Yes it is kind of like the Theory you had prior to the 2007 Pan Am Games that Blood would run thick in the Streets of Rio because the authorities in the Developing world can't stage an event like this. Wrong Again as there was no great incidents of violence during the games. It certainly looked troublesome in December 2006 with the amount of Gang Violence in Rio but hey who knows what a local government does to rise to or lower to an occasion of hosting an international competition.

Tell me have you ever been to RIO ? I have ? I have actually been to some of these places you cast judgment on . I have never been to Sydney but I certainly would not jump to an assumption that it was perfect at all or had anything wrong about it. Rio is not perfect as no place is but what a setting for the Olympics as Sydney was in 2000.

Yeah it is odd Two years after London is Awarded an Olympics Rio has their Athletics Facility which was Phrased by a Top IAAF official from France in regards to the closeness of the Practice Track in place completed. London meanwhile is still working on the ground breaking for a main stadium for the 2012 Olympics 9 months after the Pan Am Games closed as a success in Rio. Goes to show some places are better at BSing their way to hosting then others and the same ones can't seem to handle simple capital project exercises without massive under cost estimations or actually use rational restraint. And How come they had to change design on the 2012 aquatics centre and pare down Venues ?

Your sincere nature about Rio is very less then sincere as you will Jumping on the Bandwagon after they win LOL. I would not say they will win but I would certainly not look for you in Rio in 2016 thinking you would show up LOL.

I agree sponsorship will probably have a conflict domestically but lets face it these two events are Global and the Winter Games and the World Cup dont effect each other for TV rights or Sponsorship in the same year let alone two years separation between the WC and the Summer Olympics. What you might lose in domestic sponsorship in Rio was something you probably Saved in Capital Expensive Projects or the BAd Press that chines on a regular basis from A London or Athens on Cost overruns and just the Gross expensive nature of the Games. That is a total distraction from what the games should be an athletics competiiton not an architectural competition. Is it your mind again being totally negative of anything but Western Europe, Australia, Asia or North America hosting major sports festivals? Yes the Olympic Ideals of lets host the world in the so called advanced parts that can't even stick to a budget estimate or in the case of Athens 2004 having to pair down some of the details in the Bid because indeed this some called advanced Nation of Europe could not get its act together LOL.

Jim Jones

The only character assassinations in regards to Rio is the ASSumption that you made of yourself that João Havelange would not be used as the main athletics stadium .

you stated that a very long time ago about youir theory on a Main Stadium at Barra crapping on the Seoul Theory of Staging the Olympics off a recent Sports festivals Legacy Venues.

The plans are very clear with the Capacity easily going to 60000 for the world cup and then they would have 2 years to take off the end roofs and put in temporary staging per what is required for a main stadium for the Games. Throwing away a Stadium that is right beside an urban Rail line that runs to Marcana would be rather dumb.

Yes it is kind of like the Theory you had prior to the 2007 Pan Am Games that Blood would run thick in the Streets of Rio because the authorities in the Developing world can't stage an event like this. Wrong Again as there was no great incidents of violence during the games. It certainly looked troublesome in December 2006 with the amount of Gang Violence in Rio but hey who knows what a local government does to rise to or lower to an occasion of hosting an international competition.

Tell me have you ever been to RIO ? I have ? I have actually been to some of these places you cast judgment on . I have never been to Sydney but I certainly would not jump to an assumption that it was perfect at all or had anything wrong about it. Rio is not perfect as no place is but what a setting for the Olympics as Sydney was in 2000.

Yeah it is odd Two years after London is Awarded an Olympics Rio has their Athletics Facility which was Phrased by a Top IAAF official from France in regards to the closeness of the Practice Track in place completed. London meanwhile is still working on the ground breaking for a main stadium for the 2012 Olympics 9 months after the Pan Am Games closed as a success in Rio. Goes to show some places are better at BSing their way to hosting then others and the same ones can't seem to handle simple capital project exercises without massive under cost estimations or actually use rational restraint. And How come they had to change design on the 2012 aquatics centre and pare down Venues ?

Your sincere nature about Rio is very less then sincere as you will Jumping on the Bandwagon after they win LOL. I would not say they will win but I would certainly not look for you in Rio in 2016 thinking you would show up LOL.

I agree sponsorship will probably have a conflict domestically but lets face it these two events are Global and the Winter Games and the World Cup dont effect each other for TV rights or Sponsorship in the same year let alone two years separation between the WC and the Summer Olympics. What you might lose in domestic sponsorship in Rio was something you probably Saved in Capital Expensive Projects or the BAd Press that chines on a regular basis from A London or Athens on Cost overruns and just the Gross expensive nature of the Games. That is a total distraction from what the games should be an athletics competiiton not an architectural competition. Is it your mind again being totally negative of anything but Western Europe, Australia, Asia or North America hosting major sports festivals? Yes the Olympic Ideals of lets host the world in the so called advanced parts that can't even stick to a budget estimate or in the case of Athens 2004 having to pair down some of the details in the Bid because indeed this some called advanced Nation of Europe could not get its act together LOL.

Jim Jones

Congrats! That's why I love Canadians....

Show me me where I ever said any of that, you jerk! I've never said anything of the like! I wouldn't even have a clue where Rio is planning on holding athletics. I've never ventured a theory on a main stadium at Barra, or predicted blood on the streets anywhere.

Get a life!

Don't make me out to be a Rio hater _ I've been one of the Rio supporters here. I just assess their chances realistically rather than rose coloured glasses.

Anyway, if we're talking about making asses of ourselves:

Jim Jones

Nov 9 2007, 11:56 AM Post #23

A friend in 2006 told me at that time Abuja was actually placed to win in the UK bookmakers .

My quess is that 3 nations that I devised a plan to capture their votes for and enacted with the committee will either make the difference

for an Abuja victory OR it will be a in the mid forties to fifties for Abuja .

anywheres from 38 to 50 in favor of Abuja .

jim jones

I have a dispensation from the Pope to use it.

That's not right... the thing is that you are not polite enough....and also... you are not democratic enough, as your country love to claim to be, to be posting here and talking normally to other people.

Archived