ISTANBUL OLYMPICS IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Hank

With Turkey entering the EU at the end of the next decade Istanbul will take the Games in the 2030's. If Turkey doesn't enter the EU then Istanbul will wait until the 2040's. :)

mikel amigo, AND TO ALL FRIENDS :)

in my view it doesn't have nothing to do with to entering the EU. In my research on istanbul was it likely a big problem on two issues (in all of the 14 criteria, if i'm right):

the 1rst one was about political and economicle stabilty. based on the economic information of the first 4 years of this deccade there were elections in Turkey (at that moment a 3-party government wasn't solid inough. Economicle how ever there were not so many statistical improvements. there are 6 zero's deleted for the Turkish Lira's & it's now in New Turkish Lira's (YTL = YENI TÜRK LIRASI)

If  you are looking now its going from the beginning of 2004 the economical situation is much more promissing for a bid after 2012. 2016-2020-2024 etc...

the 2nd issue was about the fact that the transportation of millions of people in istanbul to the sport-venues was not good planned.

* to give u an example:

------------------------

from the olympic stadium to the triathlon venue at the Grand-island in the sea of marmara it takes (in case if you want to believe the istanbul bid for 2008-2012) about 59 minutes.

but a IOC delegation went this traject in 1h and 59 minutes. So this is a huge obstacle in real terms. Isn't it?

the bus-transport goes 60km/h in the city, this speed is not always reachable because of the simple fact that the metro or subway sistem is not widely build enough. There are just to to to to much cars at the freeways & motorways in Istanbul. And after the bus, you are obliged to take the seaferry or a sea-bus to go to Grand-Island. So?? big questions there.

Look to istanbul's metro map. in total of 12 km heavy-metro + 20 km light-metro + 17 km of trams. but till 2012 this is going to increase up to ±150-180 km of rails. It is a long long way to go in a city of 12 million people (info from the state statistics), but in real life and real settlements its about 15 million. --->> If istanbul doesn't arrages this THERE WILL BE NOT A SINGLE OLYMPIC ORGANISATION IN ISTANBUL;; believe me in that. So I'm a born Turkish-boy in Belgium. But knowing istanbul very well. I'v been there and tried each metro station and rail that i could. So the municipalty of Istanbul is building everywhere.. god the hell you have to see istanbul at the moment everywhere tunnels rails, tramworks.. It promisses a lot.

As I said : it has nothing to do with EU-membership in general. I strong Bid for istanbul needs the following ingredients:

- a superb new olympic passioned logo (god please a new one!! :angry:  )

- a enourmous/huge investement in public transport (metro-culture in Turkey exsist for just 10 years only in istanbul - in other cities thats about 5-6 years)

- a good concept (get rid of the old concept of "meet where the continents meet) The only city that can be lived realy geographically at two continents: MY EXAMPLE WOULD BE,

olympic passion at the continents

1 city on 2 continents united in one World -->> concept..

- powerfull explanations of the indeed needed-strongly informed legacy for generations with Turkeys big youth-population.

explaning also in the BiD that a 80% of all venues have to be build AND that these would be marcable LANDMARKS jointed by structured effective in-put & out-put of all people travalling by a new hi-tech new build rail(subway)sistem + bring new inovations to the Bid, Because of the fact that each 4 year the technology is going forward and that you can't Bid with a previous under-teched Bid.

- last but not least: Istanbul + all the authorities there has to think for the sake of the games how to boost it financially.. How to attract investors from over whole the world THAT ALSO would give the middle east a impact in a positive economically way. HOW TO LINK IN A CLEVER AND POTENTIAL WAY ALL THE ECONOMIC ACTIVITIY AND FIRMS FROM WHOLE TURKEY AND EUROPE AND THE WORLD IN THIS GAMES;; the place where 3 millenia 3 religions lived and still living in peace next to each other..

INDEED THIS SOCIAL LIFE AND SOCIAL ENVIREMENT IS A BIG BIG "+" FOR ISTANBUL;

THE CASTLES AND PALACES IN PARIS ARE LITTLE BEERS IN FRONT OF THE PALACES IN ISTANBUL.. MOSQUES MUSEA FESTIVALS of 40 years of archive-art-professionalism (ist jazz festival-istanbul film festival- A NEW BIG MUSEUM WITH THE "ISTANBUL MODERN" CONCEPT. The historicle square is almost a little miniature of the "forbidden city red square in Bejing" . Ornamental art is covering whole the city in its housingwalls, historical buildings , ETC;; more ORIENT IS TO BE DISCOVERD IN A NEW-FACE LIFT ISTANBUL, BUT AT THE SAME TIME TAKING CARE OF ALL THE ANCIENT AN TIPICAL ISTANBUL SETTLEMENTS as in the books of Agatha Christie and diary of Livingstone All wroted in the marvellous Pera Palas hotel... from time to time i look 1 time to istanbul but brainstorming 1000 times..

600 years of a well-integrated ottomanian empire where all cultures lived.

THE ISSUES THAT I DIDNT MENTIONED;;

----------------------------------------

(water recourses ?? how to arrange that // security in a delicate sea-street // each year there are big accidents by ships, these are causing a lot for the environnement in a negative way AT the moment there is a - fully control opertion sistem - (made by an american firm) that controls this most used seastreet).. fully fibre-optical Gsm phone sistem. enouhg hospitals, hotels are a bit short for a 2016;):

greetz from Belgium/Brussels

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
The Summer Olympics in Istanbul would be great because it would be something different. What I mean is that that Istanbul is in-between both Europe and Asia and is very close to Africa. Istanbul is a very historical city being both a part of the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire and has a lot to offer for visitors. There is a lot of venues including over 20 universities and Istanbul has a four football (soccer) teams and two basketball teams and was a candidate city for the 2008 Summer Olympics. Although I don’t see Istanbul hosting the 2016 and 2020 Summer Olympics, I can see Istanbul hosting the Summer Olympics between 2024 and 2040.

If in the event 2016 goes to Europe, Istanbul would be the best bet, but that's not saying very much.

Going all the way from the British Isles to the extreme southeast Turkish middle east boundaries would sort of make up for continental stagnance.

If in the event 2016 goes to Europe, Istanbul would be the best bet, but that's not saying very much.

Going all the way from the British Isles to the extreme southeast Turkish middle east boundaries would sort of make up for continental stagnance.

Uhmmm, after the shameful behavior of the Turks in their WC play-off with the Swiss, I think this would kill any immediate Olympic chances Istanbul might have had.

Uhmmm, after the shameful behavior of the Turks in their WC play-off with the Swiss, I think this would kill any immediate Olympic chances Istanbul might have had.

Hence my phrase "but that's not saying much."

I just wanted to offer any crazy Istanbullers some support because I have such a low opinion of its efforts.  :verysad:

The hooligans aren't the best 'children' of Europe and... there you have: London 2012, so... :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

"Throughout history, then, Istanbul has been home to countless societies and cultures. Yet this “beautiful harmony”, which is embedded in the city’s foundations and entwined in the branches of its family tree, is not just a pleasant memento from a bygone era. Istanbul retains still its rich cosmopolitan character, sometimes concealing and sometimes revealing the evidence of its unrivalled physical and cultural legacy. The city is a living example of the much sought-after meeting of civilisations - something so desperately missing in the modern world that the search for it seems almost utopian. For more than two thousand years, as if inspired by Aristotle’s theory of the four elements, the city has captivated humankind’s attention.

Once it was gold that people saw as the perfect blend of the four elements. Istanbul, which once ruled lands on three continents, throughout the ages has served as a magnet for migrants for whom its streets are paved with that proverbial gold. After all the traumas it has experienced since its foundation, symbolically guided by the four elements, Istanbul is now promising to revitalise the formula imprinted in its genes. In cultural and in artistic terms it will be be worth its weight in gold to the world as a European Capital of Culture....."

and İStanbul selected as  European Capital of Culture in 2010..

also world basketball champ. will be held in İstanbul..

u can see ..İstanbul is ready..

once the jewel of the world will rise again..

yeah, yeah, yeah...Ottoman and all that.  The point is...can Istanbul offer SECURITY to competitors and visitors alike?  And does Istanbul and whichever other cities (I guess Izmir? Ankara?) for the football prelims, all have enough quality hotel rooms and lodging for the usual 70-80,000 visitors a day that Olympic host cities attract?
I'm sure Istanbul would be a great games, but the IOC just don't seem to be wanting to take this bid seriously. Didn't make short list in 2012, was only included in short list for 2008 because samaranch wanted it to be included. The bid is good, but the IOC just doesn't want to give the summer games to Turkey for quite a while yet- that's just the way it goes i'm afraid.

istanbul is safer than most of the world metropols.if its about holigans so how london takes 2012?.and even now istanbul hosts 4million tourists each year....there is no problem about accomodation and hotels..

why u all so negative to istanbul..? Istanbul is in a better condition than athens in 2001 or barcelona in 1985..

ı dont understand why people are so closed minded about olympics in istanbul..

i have to agree with emre, while many factors are against istanbul hosting...i do see the olympic games doing a great good...we might even see the second barcelona whereby the games is used as a catalyst to spark development across the city in all aspects, the existing infrastructure would be improved, projects planned for the  longer term would be accelerated and brought forward in time to coincide with he development due to the games being hosted in istanbul

these games could also go a long way in truly establishing a better relationship with a predominantly muslim country and easing tension where tension may have existed before, allowing the true olympic ideals of peace and friendship to stand as the winner on the day...if athens in a country of 10 million could manage to host the games, i do believe that in 2016 istanbul would be prepared...how the IOC sees this though could be another thing...but  best of luck...

I'm just wondering if Istanbul 2016 would be too close to Athens 2004 in the minds of some IOC voters?

That said,with New York apparently eliminated as a possible US contestant,this race is unexpectedly opening up and Istanbul might have as good a chance as any.Though it would have stiff competition from the likes of Rome and Tokyo and possibly Madrid and Rio.

But it's beginning to look like it's all to play for!!  :)

why u all so negative to istanbul..?

I don't think people on this site are particularly being unfair or negative about Istanbul. On the contrary the majority agree that Istanbul would be a worthy host, and should be taken more seriously by the IOC.

When people say "istanbul won't be hosting the olympics soon," they are not saying the city isn't up to it, or not good enough, they are approaching it from an IOC perspective, they are saying that the IOC will pick places like Tokyo, Cape Town, Chicago, Rome rather than Istanbul.

When discussing olympic bids, everything has to be approached from a 3-dimensional perspective, from an international perspective and in "IOC speak."

dont worry emre ure competing against these cities

usa20164ac.jpg

sad, but unfortunately pretty true....I think Istanbul stands as good a chance as anyone now (even the USA)....go Istanbul! It even has an advantage over the USA sicne the IOC is familiar with the bid, and it's venues actually are concrete

why u all so negative to istanbul..?

I don't think people on this site are particularly being unfair or negative about Istanbul. On the contrary the majority agree that Istanbul would be a worthy host, and should be taken more seriously by the IOC.

When people say "istanbul won't be hosting the olympics soon," they are not saying the city isn't up to it, or not good enough, they are approaching it from an IOC perspective, they are saying that the IOC will pick places like Tokyo, Cape Town, Chicago, Rome rather than Istanbul.

When discussing olympic bids, everything has to be approached from a 3-dimensional perspective, from an international perspective and in "IOC speak."

Suit U sir, I agree totally with you. As I opened this thread without any date in the title.

Istanbul is it worth for the NEAR future is also my view. the case is actually that I want to ask 2 things to all of you:

1 - What do you specifically know about Istanbul, especially about the 2 big issues (from the 14 that the bid requires)

*Traffic-transport works

* increasing building works in a huge huge city whjere nature and water wasting is on a high level

====>> these 2 issues were and still are each time at each bid the main obstacles to succeed. (in a way what I achieved in my research works on Istanbul the last 2-3 years)

2nd: What does Istanbul does wrong in your opinion. We all know the bids a little bit; the 14 main components where the city has to improve itself:

* hotels have to increase a bit. We got a lot of Highways, The bosphorus street is after works good safed with several electonic control points, SMS network is increased a lot. Culturally seen has istanbul no problems. Hospitals are enough at the moment, though they have to built maybe 5-10 other ones. An airport of a 20 million capacity each year.

* The BIGGEST problem are the venues 30-40% is built in my view, and a lot has to be built + the main transport lines to these venues are a big problem.

anasayfa_resim1.jpg

* there is a hopefull light in 2009; THE MARMARAY project will be finished . A tunnel under the bosphorus will conect the continents in rail and motorway.

===> link : www.marmaray.com.tr

at the site you will see the words

* KAMERALAR live images of 5 points where the works still are in movement.

* RESIMLER : means photos

* Animasyonlar : means animation clips how it will look.

this line will solve a big problem, named traffic. In an enormous city like istanbul you have 3 million cars (busses included and other stuff included) The two main bridges can't care this potential. Next to this a 3rd bridge is planned. But a lot of wood will be gone. Civil groups are protesting against it; Now the major of Istanbul plans tunnels to spare the green. That's what we need for the bid to spare this green. But the costs will go up very high. What will you choose? a good question he  :;):

Ok, I will give from this week on several technical information whats going on also maybe with a few pictures !!

Meanwhile I learned a lot of Istanbul  :)

Did ya take yer medication, mo?   :rolleyes:

nope but i can tell u whitney houston certainly did...

Don't worry about Whitney Houston.  Worry about yourself first.  I'm sure she doesn't care whether you know or not.

u can do better than that baron...please dont seriously tell me that u find the remaining four cities a really wonderful addition to barcelona sydney athens beijing and london

which city are u supporting?

and more than this.. my city istanbul has more advantages than cape town..

why u comprae istanbul with this city always..:D

aaa may ı ask u something guys.. is there any one who visited istanbul before ..???

:hmm:

Archived