ISTANBUL OLYMPICS IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Hank

hi, dear friends

first of all , I want to introduce myself..

born from origin Turkish parents in Belgium in 1979, I'm studying now post-academically for political science at the university in Brussels..

my mention in this thraet is to give a view on istanbul..to get to know this city better in its aim to organise an Olympic Game in the near future(s)

I made a lot of research on Istanbul in the last 2 years.. and came up with the idea to make a file myself to present this to the Turkish Olimpic Committee and the Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan in the near future..

I want to share with you the evolution that Istanbul made so far... atlast we have an OLYMPIC STADIUM... at a top 5 star class...but it is not enough at the moment.. I know that too.

new interesting information on Istanbul Games will make a start this week.. to share it with you.. my views of my research and my oppinion on my homecountry's largest city

ISTANBUL...

see you soon..

and all opinions thaughts are welcome.. thanx folx :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ryan04
seeing as 2016 will be Europe's or NYC's. I guess they could go for 2020 along wiht asummed Rio and Cape Town, as it will be a games of new regions of the world

That depends on what Istanbul wants to host. There's still talk about a bid for Expo 2015 for the city. That decision will be taken by the BIE in 2007.

INTRODUCTION

a Motivation of istanbul

Istanbul is one of the largest and fastest growing cities in the world. The Olympic Games would accerate its sustainable development.

Secondly, each edition of the Olympic Games incorparates a local flavor in acknowledges it as a part of Olympic universalism. The local in Istanbul is so often universal tht the recognition of the city's unique contribution has far reaching implications for a more wholesome outlook on Olymism.

1- Istanbul Games would claim for Olympism a universal heritage of diverse cultures that history has built (christianity, islam and judism)  into this city. Istanbul is certainly a historic and cultural icon.

2- Istanbul Games would showcase also the Olympic values of non-discrimination, peace and tolerance that the city has sustained for centuries and makes visible to the naked eye..

3- The heart of a country that is predominantly moslem and dedicated to seculr parliamentary democracy beats in Istanbul, in an era when "conflict of civilsations" receives frequent reference, Istanbul Games will challenge the conflict and create an awareness of the bridge between civilazations.

the term "Istanbul and the Olympic Games" signifies culture sustained, tradition conveyed and history revived, all at once.

b Olympic impact and legacy of Istanbul

Hosting the Olympic Games will have a positive impact on the city and the country if only for reasons of development, outlined in terms of human resources, sport, urban and transport infrastructure above. the Olympic lagacy will be particularly significatn in its social implications.

Educating the youth (turkey has about 40.000.000 million young population of the 70 million population). Istanbul Olympics is going to be at the same time.. a new generation Olympics.. young Olympics.) troughout sports and providing an enhanced sports infrasturcture to sustain the spreading of sports culture will be a very significant legacy  of the Olympic Games in social terms..

And Turkey is growing also in a range of sports like in Basketball, volayball, athletics, judo, archery, tai-kwando.. next to the 3 other rooted sports where Turkey delivered its Olympic Champions. (box, wrestling & weightlifting)..

TURKEY'S EXPERIENCES

circa in the last 10 years between 2003 and 1997 the ones that I found

year/event/sport/

number of participant coutries / numer of participant athletes/

organised in the following Turkish cities

2003 / european/ volleyball

12/ 204 / antalya & ankara

2003 / european / athletics (european cup 2nd league)

14 / 634 / istanbul

2002 / european / archery (indoor)

25 / 150 / ankara

2002/ european / Taekwondo /

48 / 370 / samsun

2002/ Balcan games / Triatlon /

7 / 100 / istanbul

2001/ world / weightlifting /

47 / 267 / antalya

2001 / European / basketball

16 / 288 / antalya, ankara & istanbul

1999 / european / swimming, diving, Synchronized swimming

43 / 998 / istanbul

1999 / world / Freestyle Wrestling

53 / 271 / istanbul

1997 / world / Beach Volley - Alanya Open

21 / 194 / Alanya

1997 / world / first World Air Games (wag)/

60 countries / I couldn't find any statistical numbers on this one/ but it is organised in whole Turkey.. --> more information at..

http://airsports.fai.org/jan98/jan9805.html here you will find which country in wich brange won what..

My Webpage

-----------------------------------------------------

also in 1971 the mediterranean games in Izmir.. was a long time ago ofcourse  :P  :Oo:

Welcome, fatixx.

Here's a little secret about Istanbul's future Olympic chances.  If you can assure the IOC that there will be no massive earthquakes to hit Istanbul and the cities hosting the soccer games leading up to and during the Games, then you can be seriously considered.  

The IOC does not want to promise their Games in places where there is great uncertainty of their being staged.  If a massive earthquake struck Turkey even 2 years before a Games, you can be sure the IOC may not have the conscience to continue with the Games.  The resources of the host nation will be and should be diverted to the reconstruction of its society and NOT for something  as ephemeral as a sports festival.  And so the IOC would of course respect that -- and either agree to the cancellation of the Games or move them to another host city.  

I will be blunt: countries of the developing world should really take a hard look in the mirror and honestly ask themselves if an Olympics (or a World Cup) is something they can afford -- and aside from the "prestige" that it will buy  -- and will actually improve the life of their citizens in the longer run -- and not just the fleeting euphoria of being the center of world attention for 2 weeks.

Welcome, fatixx.

Here's a little secret about Istanbul's future Olympic chances.  If you can assure the IOC that there will be no massive earthquakes to hit Istanbul and the cities hosting the soccer games leading up to and during the Games, then you can be seriously considered.  

The IOC does not want to promise their Games in places where there is great uncertainty of their being staged.  If a massive earthquake struck Turkey even 2 years before a Games, you can be sure the IOC may not have the conscience to continue with the Games.  The resources of the host nation will be and should be diverted to the reconstruction of its society and NOT for something  as ephemeral as a sports festival.  And so the IOC would of course respect that -- and either agree to the cancellation of the Games or move them to another host city.  

I will be blunt: countries of the developing world should really take a hard look in the mirror and honestly ask themselves if an Olympics (or a World Cup) is something they can afford -- and aside from the "prestige" that it will buy  -- and will actually improve the life of their citizens in the longer run -- and not just the fleeting euphoria of being the center of world attention for 2 weeks.

wel, baron-pierre my friend...

you are right about the earth-quake thing there...

but the earthquake in 1999 in Istanbul & region was not only in turkey.. but the same year also in Athens too..

if you remember that.. what happened with athens?? nothing..

Turkey learns now more to live with those..

but what if there was in the main time an earth-quake at the Athens Games.. Or .. when the buildings were in a first or second phase beeing built and this would happen.?.. would Athens be ready for it .. and with its sheme..:suspect:

Certainly not.. and Greece finished everything at the last day...

so please .. istanbul deverves a Games in the future too..

I think Istanbul is a fly that the IOC can't seem to get rid of.

They need to give another city a chance.

:laughlong:  :laughlong:  :laughlong:  

that was a good one.. hahahah  

you are a strange devil my friend :devil:

TURKEY'S UPCOMING EXPERIENCES

2005 //  champions league final // istanbul

at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium... at 25 may 2005

80.000 people..  (you see the logo of this event just below under my signature.. )

2005 // 23 universiade // izmir (11/08/05-21/08/05)

the link is.. www.universiadeizmir.org..

at http://www.universiadeizmir.org/english/video.asp you can look at the promotion film.. just fabulous..

universiad.gif

2005 // the formula 1 // istanbul (21 august 2005)

at the ISTANBUL SPEED PARK

speedparklogo.gif

turkey will offer a suberp & splendid organisation at this one..

related links

http://www.msoistanbul.com/

http://www.turkeygrandprix.com/

http://www.f1turkey.com/

http://www.formula1-istanbul.com/f1/en/

------------------------------------------------------

in the near future also..

2005 fivb womans U 20 world championships

23-21 july 2005 at ankara & istanbul

2005JWWC.gif

MOTO GRAND PRIX AT 23-10-2005  at the same venue as the fomula 1 event

fatixx... the other problem for Istanbul is Athens just hosted the Games.  It's at least 12 years before a Games is returned to the same region. Notice:

in Asia: '64 - Tokyo, '88 - Seoul, '08 - Beijing

in Europe: '72 - Munich; '80 - Moscow; '92 - Barcelona; '04 - Athens

in No. AMerica: '68 - Mexico; '76 - Montreal; '84 - LA; 96 - Atlanta

You are grouped regionally w/ Athens, so the earliest they will really consider you is 2016 or 2020.  But of course, the IOC also wants to give Africa and South America a chance at those times.  So, you will have to find the right open slot when all the stars align for Istanbul.  Good luck.

fatixx... the other problem for Istanbul is Athens just hosted the Games.  It's at least 12 years before a Games is returned to the same region. Notice:

in Asia: '64 - Tokyo, '88 - Seoul, '08 - Beijing

in Europe: '72 - Munich; '80 - Moscow; '92 - Barcelona; '04 - Athens

in No. AMerica: '68 - Mexico; '76 - Montreal; '84 - LA; 96 - Atlanta

You are grouped regionally w/ Athens, so the earliest they will really consider you is 2016 or 2020.  But of course, the IOC also wants to give Africa and South America a chance at those times.  So, you will have to find the right open slot when all the stars align for Istanbul.  Good luck.

piera baron my friend you are right about that.. about the continental information you gave.. i dont doubt that..

my thing is.. to share information on istanbul..

because a lot of people dont know in a effective way the Istanbul bid..

the upset of this threat was and still is to get know the Olympic Bid on istanbul better ... I want to work on this.. to share my the research that i've done in the last 2 years..

actually a went to instanbul in 2003 to inspect it by myself.. and i'm concidedered about what went wrong in those 4 earlier bids of istanbul..

the logo must change .. thats fur sure   :help:  :laughlong:

but the continental chance of istanbul is.. that it will be host on 2 continents.. its certainly a plus... between europe and the middle east.. it will be in this case also actractive for the IOC to get the middle east faster into the Olympic area .. + the Balcans - easteran europe and africa too..

turkey lies just between 3 continents.. and that gives the oppurtunity (in my view) to not look to the contentinal groups as you mentioned.. (but it will be hee  :down:  )

another plus is that istanbul offers a compact Games .. not like madrid and paris... they have to go more than 200 km to organise the sailing brange.. and istanbul can offer it just at it shores..

RIO DOESNT MAYBE HAS THE CHANCE BECAUSE BRAZIL ORGANIZES THE WORLD FOOTBALL CUP IN 2014 THATS DICEDED ALREADY..

the same event in 2010 for south-africa.. turkey.. has already bid for the EUROPEAN CUP FOOTBALL IN 2012.. BUT THESE ARE CREATING CHAINE ORGANISATIONS...

and AThens did the same too.. this is one of the criteria to be experienced .. isn't it.. I hope more on a 2020 bid for istanbul..

but don't leave me alone here.. I need your support too..

in fact we share an Olympic love here.. thanx folx  :blush:

If we're talking earthquake risks, then I doubt California or Japan would ever be considered for a games either.

No, I'm being serious. I think that Istanbul has bid too many consecutive times.

They bid for 2000,2004,2008,2012 and now 2016?

I think that they should give it a rest, put together an efficient, solid bid and maybe bid for 2020 or 2024.

And you have to look at the entire picture.

If Paris, Madrid, London, or Moscow wins the 2012 bid, Europe will not be considered for a 2016 bid.

If New York wins (hopefully) then it is reluctantly possible.

Europe: 2004 Athens, and 2006 Turin

The IOC is very geographically conscience. They want to make sure that the Olympic Games are spread throughout the entire world.

No, I'm being serious. I think that Istanbul has bid too many consecutive times.

They bid for 2000,2004,2008,2012 and now 2016?

I think that they should give it a rest, put together an efficient, solid bid and maybe bid for 2020 or 2024.

And you have to look at the entire picture.

If Paris, Madrid, London, or Moscow wins the 2012 bid, Europe will not be considered for a 2016 bid.

If New York wins (hopefully) then it is reluctantly possible.

Europe: 2004 Athens, and 2006 Turin

The IOC is very geographically conscience. They want to make sure that the Olympic Games are spread throughout the entire world.

I agreee. I would like to see istanbul host in the future, but the series of automatic consecutive bids is not serving their cause well. It would definitely be better to lay low for a few bid cycles now, and then come out, for 2024 or 2028 with aa bid that will truly wow the IOC!

If we're talking earthquake risks, then I doubt California or Japan would ever be considered for a games either.

Yeah, but Japan has the economy and technology to quickly bounce back from any major disaster w/o much endangering the staging of a Games.  

California -- well, there as no choice in 1984, was there?  SF, if and when it rebids, has public venues that are seismically retrofitted and better than any in Istanbul, i.e., older stadia in Istanbul.  And while Istanbul's venues are say, up to snuff, probably many of their other buildings -- homes, schools, hospitals, mosques, gov't bldgs, etc., aren't; and the rebuilding of those should take precedence over any sports festival.

Yeah, but Japan has the economy and technology to quickly bounce back from any major disaster w/o much endangering the staging of a Games.  

California -- well, there as no choice in 1984, was there?  SF, if and when it rebids, has public venues that are seismically retrofitted and better than any in Istanbul, i.e., older stadia in Istanbul.  And while Istanbul's venues are say, up to snuff, probably many of their other buildings -- homes, schools, hospitals, mosques, gov't bldgs, etc., aren't; and the rebuilding of those should take precedence over any sports festival.

pierre my friend..

since istanbul and region had this earthquake in 1999, there is been changed a lot..

the new 2 airports are build in a way to boost up to an eartquake with 9.8 on the richter-scale.. also the new built Olympic stadium...new hospitals hotels schools + the new venues are also beeing built in accordance with that ;whatever . soo . almost the half of the 3.000.000 bildings are also been re-capt to make the foundations solid..

and there is already been made an plan to evacuate in a such circomstance in whole the city.. .

Istanbul is already 70% ready with this.. the other 30% will come in the up-coming few years.. so no panic in that.

new york london paris can be hit by a tsunami too..

in moscow and madrid can also be an earth-quake.. our world is moving .. the earth-plates too...

soo.. that wont be the whole discussion..

all these cities belong to all the people of the world.. these cities are our cities..

and Turkey is doing those plans also with the new technology with european and japanese ingeneers..

there is also a ministery who is working with this earth-quake issue..

Turkey isn't soo slow as much people think..

we are working for a better future.. for a superb Olympic experience and organisation in the futere too.. Turkey is still doing a good homework with excellent results..

in this threat I will also speak about the efforts , if there would be an earthquake .. I will also publish a map about the earthquake lines where it lies.. it certainly lies 10 km from the city shores in a more than 200 m depth..

the rest will folow about my research on Istanbul

stay tuned..   :idea:  :;):  :;):

in moscow and madrid can also be an earth-quake.. our world is moving .. the earth-plates too...

The chances of an earthquake hitting New York are pretty slim.

And the excuse of the diverging tectonic plates won't work, either. They're moving at a rate of 2.5 cm/year.

POPULATION IN ISTANBUL & TURKEY

current and projected populatin figures for Turkey

the city and the Province of Istanbul..

2003 current

Turkey = 70.712.000

Istanbul City = 9.927.357

Istanbul (province) = 10.833.615

2012 estimated

Turkey = 79.970.000

Istanbul City = 12.290.000

Istanbul (province) = 13.668.000

Population figures for the City include the 27 inner districts that are within the boundaries of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality..

Population figures for the Province include the 5 outer districts of Istanbul, as well as the inner city districts.

here in the green coulour you see the Province of Istanbul

(there are in total 81 provinces in Turkey)

istanbul_city.gif

ISTANBUL lies also in the region of Marmara

those7 regions in Turkey are the climaticle regions.

turkey_region_map.gif

The chances of an earthquake hitting New York are pretty slim.

And the excuse of the diverging tectonic plates won't work, either. They're moving at a rate of 2.5 cm/year.

so nykfan..

you are with me than in this case...   :blush: :)

what I wanted to say to Paron-Piere IV that an earth-quake is not the ultimate factor to not organising an OG..

it is one of factors where the bid must take care with too..

And Istanbul does that .. the prime minister Erdogan of Turkey and the governour of Istanbul are knowing that too of course..

Archived