2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games Bid Launched

There definitely would be a poetry to either Austria or Norway hosting the first edition since they are the two birthplaces of winter sport, especially Norway.

I agree about Harbin, it would be foolish to give both games to Asia when they want to spread them around.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, I can't seeboth the inaugural YOGs going to Asia. Finland _ well is there going to be some kind of relaxation of the 800m rule for the youth games? Innsbruck I could see as a consolation winner, Lillehammer as a tactical winner.

Going on how the 2012 short list went, it's hard to predict how these will go.

Hillary!! :lol:

Nope, we want Obama Round 2 so he can open the Games in Chicago in '16. ;)

Seems that based on just pure name recognition, Innsbruck and Lillehammer would have the inside tracks. I'm actually wondering if an Innsbruck YOWG would hurt the chances for a WG in Munich in '18.

Just spitballing.

:mellow: Prehaps 2016 might bring up more candidates,

A better lead in time etc...

It looks like 2012 will be a "lets see how this one goes" event.

Then we may see "exotic" hosts like Santiago, Queenstown, Jaca, Tahoe, Canberra et al bidding.

I would have thought that there would be more candidate cities for the honor. Oh, well. Anyway, I would personally choose the Finnish bid at this time.

I would have thought that there would be more candidate cities for the honor. Oh, well. Anyway, I would personally choose the Finnish bid at this time.

So what's the deal with downhill at the Winter YOGs? I guess they don't have to meet the FIS senior standards if Finland is able to bid.

So what's the deal with downhill at the Winter YOGs? I guess they don't have to meet the FIS senior standards if Finland is able to bid.

Well Helsinki was able to bid.

I would assume they would still need a 400m+ vertical drop

When was that?

Aren't you getting confused with Ostersund?

No I am not getting confused with Ostersund, Finland has had multiple bids for the Winter Olympics, all but the 2006 used Are and not Lillehammer. As Baron pointed out, Are is one of the must losing cities to ever be apart of an Olympic bid, 3 times with Ostersund, once with Tampere and 3 times with Lahti. And maybe with Falun as well, I ain't too sure about that one.

1976 with Tampere and 1972, 1968, 1964 with Lahti.

The WYOG could be compared to the likes of the Canada Winter Games at home. The places that it goes have practically no chance to get any real nod from the likes of the FIS to host the World Cup in such events. However, that could change, depending on the "chef's special of the day." But, I don't think the rules are going to change toward that direction for a while.

So, I have a lots of puzzlement on why the likes of Lillehammer and Innsbruck wants to host the WYOG in the first place.

The WYOG could be compared to the likes of the Canada Winter Games at home. The places that it goes have practically no chance to get any real nod from the likes of the FIS to host the World Cup in such events. However, that could change, depending on the "chef's special of the day." But, I don't think the rules are going to change toward that direction for a while.

So, I have a lots of puzzlement on why the likes of Lillehammer and Innsbruck wants to host the WYOG in the first place.

Well, I suppose both countries are desperate to get another dose of Olympic glory soon, and Lillehammer knows it's still too soon after its own games to get the nod again and Austria has seen its efforts spurned repeatedly lately. I guess they see the WYOGs as their best chance now.

• 3 weeks later...

Lillehammer feels that the Winter Olympic Games have out-grown them as a city and that is why we were apart of the Oslo bid for 2018. I think Norway is going to have to wait until 2030 at least before we can seriously be considered for a Winter Games again, but a Youth Winter Games would be a reason to maintain our venues and make them better to continue to have great quality international venues for our athletes to compete at home.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

News from Spain.

Jaca has thought not to present another bid for a future Winter Olympic Games and, after the European Youth Olympic Festival in 2007, Jaca will try to get a Winter Youth Olympic Games instead. A more reasonable target in my opinion.

• 4 months later...
At risk of seeming as arrogant and over-confident as Jim Jones and having this comment backfiring catastrophically, I would like to put my life savings, my house, my grandpa's house and every available asset that my family owns on Harbin to win. That's how confident I am.

The moral of the story is - never gamble!

Archived