2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games Bid Launched

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Lake Placid rule out a bid?

I believe the USOC said no bids.

Innsbruck and Sofia appear to be the only ones. Too bad Norway or Switzerland didn't get into the action or even China, Korea, Japan, New Zealand

I believe the USOC said no bids.

Innsbruck and Sofia appear to be the only ones. Too bad Norway or Switzerland didn't get into the action or even China, Korea, Japan, New Zealand

Yeah, the Winter YOGs might the best chance for a southerner like NZ or Chile to have a smidgeon of a chance.

I'm surprised Spain doesn't seem to be interested.

Oh well, I guess we'll know the line-up in a day or two.

Yeah, the Winter YOGs might the best chance for a southerner like NZ or Chile to have a smidgeon of a chance.

Again, Rol, unfortunately, southern hemisphere YOG-Winter cities will not be favored NOR probably even be considered because of the calendar. It happens in the SOG year (2012, 2016, etc.) -- so the YOG-Wint HAS to happen in the Feb-March period -- the regular winter season of the north. Sept/Oct for the south, its winter season, won't work because the Summer Games (whether held in the North OR South) will still take place in the traditional July - October (if it should be a Southern hemispher SOG) window long reserved for the SOGs.

So, still the best chance for a Chile or NZ Winter Games is the regular WOGs, since that can happen, as you've said, in September or October of the off-year -- and even that, not conflicting with the World Cup schedule. Maybe NZ or Chile can use this argument that SHUTS them out of the new game as well.

(Credit me if this happens.) ;)

Again, Rol, unfortunately, southern hemisphere YOG-Winter cities will not be favored NOR probably even be considered because of the calendar. It happens in the SOG year (2012, 2016, etc.) -- so the YOG-Wint HAS to happen in the Feb-March period -- the regular winter season of the north. Sept/Oct for the south, its winter season, won't work because the Summer Games (whether held in the North OR South) will still take place in the traditional July - October (if it should be a Southern hemispher SOG) window long reserved for the SOGs.

So, still the best chance for a Chile or NZ Winter Games is the regular WOGs, since that can happen, as you've said, in September or October of the off-year -- and even that, not conflicting with the World Cup schedule. Maybe NZ or Chile can use this argument that SHUTS them out of the new game as well.

(Credit me if this happens.) ;)

Yeah, you're probably right, I didn't think that scheduling through.

4 cities:
  • Harbin (surprise!)
  • Innnsbruck
  • Kuopio (Finland)
  • Lillehammer

Interesting list.

I don't know Kuopio at all.

Dunno Harbin or Kuopio that well, but both Innsbruck and Lillehammer have Olympic experience, so that would seem to give them the inside track. Personal preference is Lillehammer as Norway pulled off what remains my personal favorite in terms of a Winter Olympics.

Tromsoe 2018 can't be happy about Lillehammer

Quike frankly, Tromsoe was a political choice from Norvegian NOC (a la Leipzig 2012) and, based on recent IOC decisions when it comes to WOG host, doesn't stand a chance.

I think the Norvegian NOC putting forward Lillehammer for 2012, all in all a likely winner, just acknowledges that. Lillehammer been elected this year could actually avoid Tromsoe an embarrassement later.

At risk of seeming as arrogant and over-confident as Jim Jones and having this comment backfiring catastrophically, I would like to put my life savings, my house, my grandpa's house and every available asset that my family owns on Harbin to win. That's how confident I am.

I am curious about Finland. It would be a way to reward that powerful Scandinavian country which has never hosted the WO.

Of course, Norway and Austria have hosted a number of times before, and even Finland's hosted once before. But following the pattern of awarding the Games to Singapore, Finland has had the longest gap (plus never hosting the WG, as above)

It seems to early to have China host, considering Beijing. I'm surprised Harbin doesn't wait for the Senior Games. Of course, China has had a lot of luck in recent years with winning sports festivals. But they wouldn't give both the Youth S and W Games to Asian countries, would they?

Archived