2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games Bid Launched

IOC launches 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games Bid Process

23 January 2008, www.olympic.org

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today launched the bidding process to host the 1st Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2012. A letter was sent out to all National Olympic Committees (NOCs) informing them of the procedure and documentation available for cities interested in bidding for the Games.

The letter to the NOCs is accompanied by the Winter Youth Olympic Games Brochure and Candidature Procedure & Questionnaire.

Brochure

Questionnaire

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!! Jaca appears in the fist page of the Questionnaire. Sooner even than i had expected!

Look at the right bottom corner... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: In fact, most of the pics of the brochure are from the Jaca 2007 European Youth Olympic Festival too.

Since mountain height is such a limiting factor for many cities/regions that might be able to host a WOG, are there different requirements for the YWOG?

I would hope that the YWOG would be able to go smaller areas like Davos, Ljubljana, Poprad, Zakopane, New Zealand et al.

Certainly New Zealand and Chile could be in line for a good shot since their "off season" winter won't be a conflict for TV ratings and world championships seasons in the North. I don't imagine the Youth Games will be heavily televised.

And if there was a lower vertical drop mountain requirement, places like what you mentioned as well as places like Korea, Eastern Canada, New England, and more could get bids in very easily.

Certainly New Zealand and Chile could be in line for a good shot since their "off season" winter won't be a conflict for TV ratings and world championships seasons in the North. I don't imagine the Youth Games will be heavily televised.

And if there was a lower vertical drop mountain requirement, places like what you mentioned as well as places like Korea, Eastern Canada, New England, and more could get bids in very easily.

Theere will be TV highlights instead

Davos, Ljubljana, Poprad and Zakopane all have the required vertical drops near-by.

Yes, but the IOC will still be focused on the Summer Games of a Leap year, so the YouthWOGs would still have to happen in the 'northern' winter scheme.

I would expect to see bids from Almaty, Sarajevo and maybe PC. Oh dear, all the Koreans posters will come back...

I think PC is aiming the WOG rather then the WYOG. It certainly has what it takes to win an olympic bid unlike Almaty, Sarajevo and... well, Sofia (at this time). So I agree on Almaty and Sarajevo which seem very likely bids just as Sofia

I think PC is aiming the WOG rather then the WYOG. It certainly has what it takes to win an olympic bid unlike Almaty, Sarajevo and... well, Sofia (at this time). So I agree on Almaty and Sarajevo which seem very likely bids just as Sofia

Almaty is certainly more capable to stage the Olympics than Sarajevo and Sofia (remember that Almaty almost made the short list for 2014).

Among potential 2012 YOG applicants, I can see Jaca (although the Spanish NOC might want to focus on Madrid 2016), an Italian city (Sestriere/Torino or Cortina), Almaty indeed and Sofia.

Almaty is certainly more capable to stage the Olympics than Sarajevo and Sofia (remember that Almaty almost made the short list for 2014).

Among potential 2012 YOG applicants, I can see Jaca (although the Spanish NOC might want to focus on Madrid 2016), an Italian city (Sestriere/Torino or Cortina), Almaty indeed and Sofia.

Well, you are right. Last year Jaca hosted the European Youth Olympic Festival with more than 1200 athletes and many officials, and it was a success. But Jaca couldn't celebrate some events for the YOG as bobseight or luge and Ski Jumping... besides one of the 2 ice rinks is going to be demolished soon, so i think that the IOC will look for a city with most of the sport venues already in place, without having to build new ones.

Technically Jaca could host the YOG, but due to the 2014 failure and obviously to Madrid 2016, it isn't gonna happen.

Almaty is certainly more capable to stage the Olympics than Sarajevo . . .

Curious why you say that since Sarajevo obviously hosted an Olympics. Are you talking from a money standpoint or did the war destroy Sarajevo to the point that they couldn't hold another WOG again?

Curious why you say that since Sarajevo obviously hosted an Olympics. Are you talking from a money standpoint or did the war destroy Sarajevo to the point that they couldn't hold another WOG again?

Bosnia was completely ravaged by war, much of it was destroyed and Sarajevo was sieged for 4 years. The track is gone, as well as the ski jump. The resorts are not up to international standards anymore and the resort didn't leave a good taste in the mouths of the IOC to begin with, you are old enough to remember the numerous and continuous delays to the alpine events.

Kazakhstan has 4 times the people and 4 times the GPD, not to mention the oil wealth that has improved the countries standards in recent times.

..an Italian city (Sestriere/Torino or Cortina)..

Actually, I didn't see any intention by these or any others.

Cortina is already candidate to host the 2013 Skiing WC. As for Torino, I think they're focusing on summer events rather than the winter ones.

• 1 month later...

Archived