Cast Your Vote For The 2010 Torch Bearer

SpikeyT

Cast your vote for the 2010 torch bearer

TSN - The Sports Network

1/21/2008

The Olympic Winter Games will open in Vancouver in just over two years from now on February 12, 2010. One of the highlights of the opening ceremony will be the lighting of the Olympic flame. The choice of who will light the flame is left to the host country and is always the subject of speculation and debate.

Lighting the Olympic flame is a great honour and the selection is often symbolic.

In 1988, the last time the Olympics were held in Canada, 12-year-old student and figure-skater Robyn Perry of the host city Calgary was chosen to signify the future of sport.

At the Summer Games in Montreal in 1976, two people lit the cauldron together for the first time in Olympic history. Student athletes Sandra Henderson and Stephane Prefontaine, aged 15 and 16, symbolised Canadian youth and the two founding peoples of Canada.

Most of the people picked to light the flame have been athletes, though not necessarily Olympians. Perhaps the most unusual selection was Charles Kerr, a psychiatrist from Arizona who participated in the torch relay for the 1980 Winter Games in Lake Placid, and was chosen in a vote among all his fellow runners.

We'd like to hear from you on who you think should get the honour of lighting the Olympic flame in 2010. We've come up with a list of prominent Canadians who may be considered for 2010. These include former Olympians Nancy Greene, Barbara Ann Scott, Gaetan Boucher, Cindy Klassen, Marc Gagnon, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Cassie Campbell. Also on our list is a group of Canadians who have left a lasting legacy to this country such as Rick Hansen, Paul Henderson, David Suzuki and Betty Fox.

You can vote here for any one of the candidates we've selected or if you feel it should be someone not on the list, please enter that person's name in the space provided.

The results of the poll will be revealed on Olympic Journey: Calgary to Vancouver, a one-hour special on TSN on Wednesday, February 13th.

I'm going to vote for Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. They have a connection to the Olympics, they are still young and vibrant, look good on TV, and are very popular with Winter Olympics fans in many big TV ratings countries (especially the USA) - many of whom would see this as vindication for the scandal of 2002. Plus, it is slightly controversial - especially for the Russians - and would set it up for Sochi to counter with something controversial as well. ; )

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't David Suzuki against the idea of the Olympics? Especially a gas burning flame that serves no purpose other than to stand as a symbol of the event.

Edited by Kendegra

I'm going to vote for Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. They have a connection to the Olympics, they are still young and vibrant, look good on TV, and are very popular with Winter Olympics fans in many big TV ratings countries (especially the USA) - many of whom would see this as vindication for the scandal of 2002. Plus, it is slightly controversial - especially for the Russians - and would set it up for Sochi to counter with something controversial as well. ; )

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't David Suzuki against the idea of the Olympics? Especially a gas burning flame that serves no purpose other than to stand as a symbol of the event.

Lol. So true. The Olympics are trying to go 'green' and be 'environmentally sustainable' but seriously, how hypocritcal would that be for him to light that flame.

I voted for Sarah Renner (cross country skier)...I think she is prefect to light the flame.

being an environmentalist, i wouldn't be surprised if he tried to put the torch flame out...

i couldn't agree more, voted for David and Jamie as well.

I voted for Marc Gagnon. In fact, his not being selected for the closing ceremony in Nagano as flag bearer was criminal. The only other person on the list deserving serious consideration is Cindy Klassen.

Though I think Clara Hughes perhaps epitomizes the Olympic movement better than anyone else in elite sport today. :)

I voted for Marc Gagnon. In fact, his not being selected for the closing ceremony in Nagano as flag bearer was criminal. The only other person on the list deserving serious consideration is Cindy Klassen.

Though I think Clara Hughes perhaps epitomizes the Olympic movement better than anyone else in elite sport today. :)

Choosing Klassen or Hughes would be a bad idea since they are still competing. Gagnon would be a good choice, thought.

I think they should have Barbara Ann Scott arrive with the flame into the stadium. She'll be 81 so I hope she'll still be around and able to appear, but she was the first really HUGE individual Canadian Winter Olympic superstar. It would be an honour for her and for everyone there.

David Suzuki? What does he have to do with sport? They'd be better off getting Chaz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. Perhaps they could perform the Iron Lotus! (only behind the bamboo curtain) :lol:

I didn't vote in this since I am not Canadian. But I would like to see Barbara Ann Scott at least part of the final torchbearers.

I...would like to see Barbara Ann Scott at least part of the final torchbearers.

I totally agree...she should rise from beneath the stadium floor like Athena on her throne, with torch in hand. LOL

But she deserves a role because she inspired Canada's passion for figure skating. I also think Nancy Greene and Gaetan Boucher should be part of the "last leg" for their roles in inspiring future generations of skiing and speed skating champs - sports that Canada has good depth in.

There also must be a hockey connection. I'm really torn over Wayne Gretzky - he does have huge recognition and was instrumental (as a coach) in winning the much coveted 2002 men's gold, but his career and fame did not come from the Olympics.

Edited by Kendegra

The "Crazy Canucks" need to be in it (even though Ken Read brought the torch in at Calgary).

Nancy Greene definitely. Chandra Crawford possibly only because of her awesome national anthem rendition on the YouTube video. :)

Even tho they didn't win gold, Brian Orser and Liz Manley were inspirational.

Sale/Pelltier may be too hot a potato for the IOC to approve. Although by rights that should be a no-brainer.

Tracy Wilson (in memory of Rob McCall) is another that comes to mind. No gold but a great story.

Gretzky - I dunno. He's sort of like Celine now. Can't decide if he is Canadian or American. :blink:

Nancy Greene - Nice lady. I had a chance to have a good chat with her riding up the chairlift at Sun Peaks. Definitely should be there at the 2010 ceremonies.

There is another hockey player I would pick over Gretzky: Scott Niedermayer. Scotty's the only hockey player in history to win the most major hockey prizes. Here's what Scotty's got:

Juniors (WHL):

Memorial Cup (1992 - With Kamloops Blazers)

Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy (1992 - Memorial Cup MVP)

International:

World Junior Hockey Championship Gold (1991)

World Junior Hockey Championship Gold (1992)

World Hockey Championship (2004 - Gold)

World Cup (1996 - Silver)

World Cup (2004 - Gold)

Olympic Gold (2002)

NHL Awards:

Stanley Cup (4 times - 1995, 2000, 2003, 2007)

Conn Smythe Trophy (2007)

James Norris Trophy (2004)

Even on Wikipedia it says:

Niedermayer is the only player in the history of hockey to have won what many consider to be the "six major championships for Canadian players," those championships being the Stanley Cup, Memorial Cup, World Junior Ice Hockey Championship gold, IIHF World Championship gold, Olympic gold, and a World Cup of Hockey title.

So if there's a hockey player that should be there, it should be Scotty.

On paper, S&P have a lot going for them. A gold medal. Huge name recognition. A male and a female. One is Anglo, the other is Franco. They skated to Love Story and they ended up getting married. They are both attractive and look good on TV.

But alas, they also represent some controversy. It is a hard call.

I figure that there will be about 4-6 people running the flame around the stadium, and most of them will probably be big names, gold medal winners, and multiple medallists representing a variety of sports and regions of Canada. So I stick to the idea that these people are in top contention to carry the flame around the stadium:

Barbara Ann Scott (Ontario, Figure skating)

Gaetan Boucher (Quebec, Speed Skating)

Nancy Greene (BC, Alpine Skiing)

Marc Gagnon (Quebec, Short track)

Catriona Le May Doan (Saskatchewan, Speed Skating)

Beckie Scott (Alberta, Cross-country Skiing)

Brad Gushue (Newfoundland, Curling)

Clara Hughes (Manitoba, Speed Skating)

Cindy Klassen (Manitoba, Speed Skating)

Members of the 2002 Men's Hockey team and the 2002 and 2006 Women's Hockey teams may also be in the running. Scott Niedermayer is a good pick (he was also raised in BC) as is Joe Sakic (BC) and so too are Cassie Campbell (Ontario) and Hayley Wickenheiser (Saskatchewan).

People who qualify on that list but are pretty much out of contention due to scandal are Ross Rebagliati (no way will they put a flame in his hands!) and Myriam Bedard (she might abduct the flame).

For those that don't get the flame, there is always the Olympic Flag - Manley, Orser, Stojko, Brassard, and others who were not there to do the job in Calgary should be considered for this job.

I'm doubtful the Crazy Canucks will be in the running for anything. They didn't peform well at the Olympics and their heydays ended before the Calgary Olympics.

Edited by Kendegra

I totally agree...she should rise from beneath the stadium floor like Athena on her throne, with torch in hand. LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it!

Another pair I might throw into the mix is Barbara Wagoner and Robert Paul, who in 1960 became the last non-Russian Pairs to win until Sale/Pelltier

David Suzuki? What does he have to do with sport? They'd be better off getting Chaz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. Perhaps they could perform the Iron Lotus! (only behind the bamboo curtain) :lol:

David Suzuki!! For the love of god NO!!! I am thinking most recently either Cindy Klassen, Clara Hughes, Jamie Sale and David Pelletier or maybe Joe Sakic would be a great choice!!!

Another big name to consider

Clara Hughes.

The only canadian who have won medails in both Summer Games and Winter Games

Won't she still be around at Vancouver, thought? I don't think it would be a good idea to get a current athlete to carry the torch.

Won't she still be around at Vancouver, thought? I don't think it would be a good idea to get a current athlete to carry the torch.

Nagano, Sydney and Athens all had current athletes, and most think Beijing will as well with their hurdler.

I think if there was a hockey player involved it would be Joe Sakic, he is a homeboy and the son of immigrants, playing the Canadian sport, and has an amazing international pedigree (WJC, WC, WCup, Olympics)

I have a suspicion that military will carry the flags in.