• Moscow
    • Singapore

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conclusions from the new evaluation report, with main topic - risks to the IOC:

Athens

To conclude its analysis, the Evaluation Commission believes that Athens’s project to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010 presents some risks to the IOC.

Bangkok

To conclude its analysis, the Evaluation Commission believes Bangkok’s project to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010 presents a number of risks to the IOC.

Moscow

To conclude its analysis, the Evaluation Commission believes Moscow’s project to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games offers minimal risk to the IOC.

Singapore

To conclude its analysis, the Evaluation Commission believes Singapore’s project to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games offers minimal risk to the IOC.

Turin

To conclude its analysis, the Evaluation Commission believes that, although Turin’s project to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010 offers few risks to the IOC, the main element of risk outlined in this report is critical to the success of the Games.

CONCLUSION

On the basis of its conclusions within each city’s report, the Evaluation Commission believes that the cities of Moscow and Singapore (listed in alphabetical order) would present the least risk to the IOC for the organisation of the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games.

IOC members will definitively vote for Singapore, remebering the great organisation of the IOC session in 2005.

And the fact that Russia will organize Winter Olympic Games in 2014 will also count.

I was a volunteer during the 117th IOC Session in Singapore and had a very enjoyable time in Singapore - I would love it if Singapore won.

However, looking at what is being said by the two bids at the moment, press releases etc, it look like Moscow is set to win.

The goal of the IOC is to bring the educational values of sport to society. Whilst such a vision is apparent in both candidatures, Moscow seem to be much more vocal than Singapore in this respect, at the moment at least. More momentum is needed, Singapore need to be conveying this message if they want to win!

Strange coincidence that Singapore made the final 2 a day after they unveiled their new Sports hub?

And is it any coincidence that Moscow was also put up just a few months after the IOC gave the 2014 WOGs to Sochi?

Most coincidental if you ask me.

The new sport hub doesn't have anything to do with the YOG. It will not be ready for 2010.

Moscow is the safest choice in every aspect.

And saying that Sochi Winter Games exclude Moscow from competing for Summer Youth Games is the same nonsense as saying Beijing excludes Singapore.

I have been many times to all 4 cities and in terms of atmosphere Sochi is much further apart from Moscow than Singapore from Beijing, IMHO :)

You see there is always one excuse on the side of Europeans. I wish Singapore wins-- as I have settled my case with NYCD2010!

Community involvement isn't one of the factors mentioned in the bid books, or final evaluation, but this may be an invisible factor which may sway IOC members who have access to reports. Singapore stands a better chance due to grassroots efforts in supporting their country's bid. If small gestures such as making car decals supporting YOG 2010 and appointing youth ambassadors to drum up support (not to mention the facebook group) are covered, it will allow IOC members to be swayed by the positive impression of all Singaporeans in a united front.

In contrast I struggled to find any link between the grassroots and the government for Moscow's case. though Moscow may have experience and media-savviness on their side, it gave me the impression that close to $180m was meant to increase the prestige of government and corporate sponsors more than spreading the olympic ideal, in contrast to Singapore's balanced approach

Community involvement isn't one of the factors mentioned in the bid books, or final evaluation, but this may be an invisible factor which may sway IOC members who have access to reports. Singapore stands a better chance due to grassroots efforts in supporting their country's bid. If small gestures such as making car decals supporting YOG 2010 and appointing youth ambassadors to drum up support (not to mention the facebook group) are covered...

Hi Jose , welcome to gamesbid , I am guessing you're Singaporean as well ? I agree . There is definatly lots of support here ! Did you see those logos on channel 5 ? I think Singapore can offer just as much culture as Moscow. We're multi-racial country after all.

Like the IOC said , they wanted bids from smaller countries .

Moscow is the safest choice in every aspect.

And saying that Sochi Winter Games exclude Moscow from competing for Summer Youth Games is the same nonsense as saying Beijing excludes Singapore.

I have been many times to all 4 cities and in terms of atmosphere Sochi is much further apart from Moscow than Singapore from Beijing, IMHO :)

You may be delighted to know that while Moscow and Sochi are in the same country, Beijing and Singapore are not.

You may be delighted to know that while Moscow and Sochi are in the same country, Beijing and Singapore are not.

Thank you for sharing that 'secret' knowledge, I would nave never thought :)

Certainly there are some striking differences between Beijing and Singapore, e.g. popularity of English language, but lot's of similarities as well, IMHO.

What's important for me as a visitor's experience is atmosphere, ambiance. In this regard Beijing, Singapore and Moscow are all big international business centers and capital cities. While Sochi is 100% a resort.

The political atmosphere surrouding Moscow bid is less active when compared to Singapore's, as you it has being pointed out regarding the community involvement. I deeply believe the would definately increase the chance for Singapore cos it would be of no used if the cummunity on which the YOGs are taking place is not involved in it at a very high magnitude.

Sorry to say that Russian experience (boast of 500 olympic champions). Is that actually a criteria for YOGs? Media might fail to swing it for them this time around cos, I haven't come across a whole publicity expressing their plans so far on the race as compare to Singapore.

Does the IOC used the same criteria for YOGs and SOGs or WOGs?

Thank you for sharing that 'secret' knowledge, I would nave never thought :)

Certainly there are some striking differences between Beijing and Singapore, e.g. popularity of English language, but lot's of similarities as well, IMHO.

What's important for me as a visitor's experience is atmosphere, ambiance. In this regard Beijing, Singapore and Moscow are all big international business centers and capital cities. While Sochi is 100% a resort.

Glad that you are enlightened as such, although I still find it startling that you can assume that the "popularity of English language" is supposed to be some kind of decisive factor in nullifying the sovereignty of Singapore as an independent city-state and that of China of which Beijing is its capital. As far as this discussion is concerned, Singapore and Beijing are similar in that they belong in the same continent. Moscow and Sochi belong to the same country.

As for ambience, I also respectfully disagree that the three said cities gives the same "ambiance" as "big international business centres". Shanghai is the predominent interntational business centre of China, far more so than Beijing, whose financial importance pales considerably, especially when compared to the far bigger Asian financial centres of Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore, with Seoul a distant fourth. Beijing is soaked deeply in historical significance, and continues to be the intellectual, ideological and cultural hub of China. And Singapore, despite ranking in the realms of Tokyo and Hong Kong in terms of financial importance, has often impressed upon people a relative air of calmness and order in the midst of the chaos of a fast-paced Asian society, almost similar to that of Swiss cities in the midst of the European economic engine. No way does it offer a similar experience as Beijing or Moscow.