Sign in to follow this  
Kenadian

Canadian Figure Championships, Vancouver 2008

Thanks for that. It's been a long time since Canada had a medal winning/contending female skater. Last was Liz Manley!

Can you believe the Battles of Calgary (Brians and Carmens) are soon to celebrate their 20th anniversary!

Sorry, but unless some new young female skater comes along very soon I do not see Canada winning any medals for ladies at the Olympics or at Worlds for the next several years. Japan, Korea and the USA are just too strong. Some of these ladies are doing triple axels and even quads.

Sorry, but unless some new young female skater comes along very soon I do not see Canada winning any medals for ladies at the Olympics or at Worlds for the next several years. Japan, Korea and the USA are just too strong. Some of these ladies are doing triple axels and even quads.

Rochete has the potential to win a medal. Like I said, she had the third highest ranked freeskate this season on the grand prix circuit. A lot of those girls doing triple axels, have poor artistry, so while they get the points for the axel, they get low score for choroegraphy and for their basic skating skills. Rochette has amazing choreography, and she can do the triple jumps. she has been practicing quads in practice aswell. I think it is very premature to count her out of anything.

Also, in the women, Cythina Phaneuf, who has been injured is finally getting her jumps back, and prior to that, she did win events on the grand prix circuit aswell.

For the men, I would keep my eye on Kevin Reynolds. He did a Q-T-T, the first man to do so since Plushenko. That is a huge accomplishment. But, as you can see, his artistry needs work, why he is not winning.

While you are right in not dismissing Joannie, her biggest problem is consistency ... she has to be able to put two good programs together ... short and long. And I would disagree about the artistry of the Asian women. Yu-Nu Kim of Korea has an elegant style combined with amazing jumping talent. I think the biggest threat the Kim and Mao Asada of Japan (another extremely talented and elegant skater) is Kimmie Meissner of the States. I believe those are the 3 that will be fighting for the medals at this year's World's. Who really can tell what will happen in 3 years. Should these younger women suddenly have a growth spurt they my lose their jumping ability overnite! Then all the medals would be up for grabs.

While you are right in not dismissing Joannie, her biggest problem is consistency ... she has to be able to put two good programs together ... short and long. And I would disagree about the artistry of the Asian women. Yu-Nu Kim of Korea has an elegant style combined with amazing jumping talent. I think the biggest threat the Kim and Mao Asada of Japan (another extremely talented and elegant skater) is Kimmie Meissner of the States. I believe those are the 3 that will be fighting for the medals at this year's World's. Who really can tell what will happen in 3 years. Should these younger women suddenly have a growth spurt they my lose their jumping ability overnite! Then all the medals would be up for grabs.

Yu-Na Kim does not do a triple axel or quad, I am not arguing with you on her, she will be gold contender. Mao Asada has been sub par this season, and has been inconsistent too. As for Meissner, she really needs to get her artistry in check...and in fact, she is in fourth place at that national championships right now, so she might not even be going to the world championships. Personally, I think Meissner is out of contention this season, not a good season for her at all.

I don't think the triple axel or quad is going to distinguish anyone from a medal or not....what will, is a triple/triple combination. All podium finishers will need to have it in the short program. The one to watch for at worlds: Kostner from Italy, she is on this season and the judges love her, as she can to a t/t and she is extremely fast.

I must admit that I have felt a bit out of the loop this season with no international figure skating coverage by Canadian Broadcasters and with only ESPN (not available in Canada) covering the Grand Prix circuit. It has been very frustrating. Fortunately CBC finally signed a 2 year contract last week to cover the Worlds. And we get to see the US Nationals on NBC this weekend including live coverage Saturday afternoon!

As for the Canadian Women, you just never know. The Olympics always throw us a surprise or two and sometimes it is just a matter of who is the last one standing after a night of slips and misses. Sarah Hughes, anyone?

For Canada to top the medal table, figure skating is vital important, its one sport that Canada has on Germany and Norway, along with curling and short track, they have biathlon, cross-country and the sliding events, so Canada needs to capitalize on winning medals in our tradition sports.

As for ticketing, my sources and generally being Canadian the ranking of events will be as follows

1. Ice Hockey

2. Curling

3. Figure Skating

4. Snowboarding

5. Freestyle Skiing

6. Short Track Speed Skating

7. Speed Skating

8. Skeleton

9. Bobsleigh

10. Alpine Skiing

11. Luge

12. Cross Country

13. Biathlon

14. Ski Jumping

15. Nordic Combined

From 10 to 15, success will depend on how many Japanese, Germans, Norwegians and French we get as tourist.

I must admit that I have felt a bit out of the loop this season with no international figure skating coverage by Canadian Broadcasters and with only ESPN (not available in Canada) covering the Grand Prix circuit. It has been very frustrating. Fortunately CBC finally signed a 2 year contract last week to cover the Worlds. And we get to see the US Nationals on NBC this weekend including live coverage Saturday afternoon!

I did hear about that contract, which is great. I have said it before though, I am really surprised that CTV dropped its skating coverage. Did any of you hear about the newly proposed CBC Sports Network, which is propsing 24 hours per day of sports. It had also something to do with the Canadian Olympic Comittee...read here: [link="http://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur/story/2008/01/24/cbc-sportsstation.html]CBC all-sports television network[/link]

For Canada to top the medal table, figure skating is vital important, its one sport that Canada has on Germany and Norway, along with curling and short track, they have biathlon, cross-country and the sliding events, so Canada needs to capitalize on winning medals in our tradition sports.

As for ticketing, my sources and generally being Canadian the ranking of events will be as follows

1. Ice Hockey

2. Curling

3. Figure Skating

4. Snowboarding

5. Freestyle Skiing

6. Short Track Speed Skating

7. Speed Skating

8. Skeleton

9. Bobsleigh

10. Alpine Skiing

11. Luge

12. Cross Country

13. Biathlon

14. Ski Jumping

15. Nordic Combined

From 10 to 15, success will depend on how many Japanese, Germans, Norwegians and French we get as tourist.

I'd put Hockey and Figure Skating at the top of the list and would drop Curling further down. Do you know what the highest rated televised sporting event of all time was? Ladies figure skating at the 1994 Olympics. Those are the WOG's top two events.

The Curling and Speedskating venus only have 6000 seats each. Short track might have more of a challenge to fill the 15,000 seats at Pac Col.

I'd put Hockey and Figure Skating at the top of the list and would drop Curling further down. Do you know what the highest rated televised sporting event of all time was? Ladies figure skating at the 1994 Olympics. Those are the WOG's top two events.

The Curling and Speedskating venus only have 6000 seats each. Short track might have more of a challenge to fill the 15,000 seats at Pac Col.

The reason why it was the highest rated was because of the kerrigan/harding scandal. That generated so much interest, and even spawned what was then Champion Series Final (today: Grand Prix Final).

Curling will no doubt sell out...I believe the international curling governing body has agreed to give the world championships every other year to Canadian host cities.

The reason why it was the highest rated was because of the kerrigan/harding scandal. That generated so much interest, and even spawned what was then Champion Series Final (today: Grand Prix Final).

Curling will no doubt sell out...I believe the international curling governing body has agreed to give the world championships every other year to Canadian host cities.

The World Championships were broken up and one will always be played in Canada so that the federation can make money.

I was pleased to read that the ISU is finally cracking down on "cheated" jumps. For years skaters have been getting away with jumps using the wrong take off edge. This season the ISU adopted a new rule regarding jumps, particularly flips and Lutzes. Offenders that use the wrong take off edge are now catergorized by an "e". Judges must assign a GOE no greater than -1. In addition there has been a greater scrutiny of triples not fully rotated.

There have been many "victims" of the new "e" ruling so far this season ... here are some notables ...

Skate America ...Kimmie Meissner, Caroline Zhang (three times)

Skate Canada ... Brian Joubert (twice), Jeffrey Buttle, Vaughn Chipeur, Mao Asada (twice)

Cup of China ... Caroline Zhang (three times), Alissa Czisny. Fumie Suguri (twice), Julia Sebestyen

Trophee Bompard ... Tomas Verner, Kimmie Meissner (twice), Mao Asada (twice), Sarah Meier (three times), Mira Leung, Ahsley Wagner (three times)

Cup of Russia ... Kevin Reynolds, Yukari Nakano

Brian Joubert admitted that "I'm not able to do a (real) flip"!

Asada said "I did not realize my Lutz got deducted for an edge ... It is difficult to correct ... (in) the middle of the season. Once the season is over I want to work on it"

I was pleased to read that the ISU is finally cracking down on "cheated" jumps. For years skaters have been getting away with jumps using the wrong take off edge.

Definitely me too! It should bring all the warring parties in Kenya and the Gaza Strip to the peace table. :rolleyes:

I was pleased to read that the ISU is finally cracking down on "cheated" jumps. For years skaters have been getting away with jumps using the wrong take off edge. This season the ISU adopted a new rule regarding jumps, particularly flips and Lutzes. Offenders that use the wrong take off edge are now catergorized by an "e". Judges must assign a GOE no greater than -1. In addition there has been a greater scrutiny of triples not fully rotated.

There have been many "victims" of the new "e" ruling so far this season ... here are some notables ...

Skate America ...Kimmie Meissner, Caroline Zhang (three times)

Skate Canada ... Brian Joubert (twice), Jeffrey Buttle, Vaughn Chipeur, Mao Asada (twice)

Cup of China ... Caroline Zhang (three times), Alissa Czisny. Fumie Suguri (twice), Julia Sebestyen

Trophee Bompard ... Tomas Verner, Kimmie Meissner (twice), Mao Asada (twice), Sarah Meier (three times), Mira Leung, Ahsley Wagner (three times)

Cup of Russia ... Kevin Reynolds, Yukari Nakano

Brian Joubert admitted that "I'm not able to do a (real) flip"!

Asada said "I did not realize my Lutz got deducted for an edge ... It is difficult to correct ... (in) the middle of the season. Once the season is over I want to work on it"

I am glad they are doing it too. I bet Lapinksi would have lost under this new system, that's for sure.

Sign in to follow this