Image&look Design Of Torch Relay To Be Unveiled

Xu Wen-Ting

i dont know if it is that wise. Athens had 9 diferrent patterns and about 10 colour combinations that allowed to create so many wonderfull "moods". The design was so thoughtful that everyone knew this is Athens, wherever which combination it was. Plus the logo and the pictograms perfectly integrated.

I think the caouldron looks good also the uniforms are ok but there is no clear recognition value. Where is the Logo? I personaly hardly see even the clouds in the uniform design. Only blue and red colours with some shadows. I miss clear patterns and i dont know why they are so carefull with the design. Chinese culture which inspires the design has more to offer then clouds.

I think the torch relay look is great, I think it's extremely innovative and complex, compared to past torch relays. While the past Olympics have had their own torch relay logo, I dont think many have had a specific *look* just for the torch relay - they have just used the base Olympic look.

Whereas at Beijing, they are using their ususal *lucky cloud* imagery, aswell as their specific torch relay *phoenix* design pattern.

So they are actually doing more than past Olympics.

I also think the comments about Beijing's look being mono and boring and slightly off the mark. While yeah, Athens did have a look that included different patterns , that was the exception to the rule.

The looks of most past Olympic events have been pretty basic , using one particular design.

Beijing has their lucky cloud motif, and that will be featured in a number of different colours.

Torino had their piazza design, Sydney had their *fluid energy* design - again, this was just one pattern.

Nagano had their caligraphy strokes, Lillehammer had their crystalisation - again, just one pattern.

While Athens had their variations of the rings and *100* in the olive branches - their main look, the *quilt of leaves* (leaves in little square boxes), was again one design pattern.

Beijing really is no different.

But you can not say the "lucky cloud" is a torch relay exclusive design. Not before we see the rest. I find the "lucky cloud" design fantastic but this is (and pictogramms) the only clear statement (till now) about the look of the games. And if it stays this way, just red and blue banners in Pongée style then it is boring in my opinion.

About the torch bearer's of Athens 2004 was just blue one colour. And esscort runner's of Athens 2004 is pretty. But BOCOG didn't choose the Athens colors style.

In fact,about the banners design in the places where events is held,BOCOG planed many ways of looking design. I do agree that Athens 2004 had a outstanding design, but when the colours plan used in banners is not really a good thing.When we think about design itself also should be useful for athletes. When Athens 2004, many athletes explain that too many colours will make them have some wrong decision in direction, for example in gymnastics,dive,trampoline,discus and weight throw and so on. So Beijing 2008 colour systerm has about six colours,but they don't make the colours in certain banner area together.

Beijing 2008 colour systerm has about six colours,they are:

Img212008884.jpgImg212008885.jpgImg212008886.jpg

The Chinese Red, The Glaze Yellow, The Chinese Scholar-tree Green

Img212008887.jpgImg212008888.jpgImg212008889.jpg

The Blue-and-White Porcelain Blue, The Great Wall Grey, The Jade White

A "one-color per venue" plan could really work well in say the Water Cube. A blue look would really bring the architecture and water in there together really nicely and cohesively.

I have an idea that Beijing could have come up with a different pattern representing the elements for each color - fire (the cloud pattern with the Chinese Red), water (Blue-and-White Porcelain Blue), earth (Chinese Scholar-tree Green), air (Glaze Yellow / Jade White) and metal ( Great Wall Grey).

Thank you for this explaination Xu Wen-Ting. It seems that Beijing has a different "colour concept". If i get it right they will use only "one colour theme" for each venue?!

ohh...clever,maybe one colour theme for each venue. That's a great idea.

Especially in the venues of gymnastics,dive,trampoline,discus and weight throw,at very least they won't use many colours together in one banner.

A "one-color per venue" plan could really work well in say the Water Cube. A blue look would really bring the architecture and water in there together really nicely and cohesively.

I have an idea that Beijing could have come up with a different pattern representing the elements for each color - fire (the cloud pattern with the Chinese Red), water (Blue-and-White Porcelain Blue), earth (Chinese Scholar-tree Green), air (Glaze Yellow / Jade White) and metal ( Great Wall Grey).

Good idea,but by now i haven't know other design elements would be used in Beijing 2008.

My major in university is Visual Communication Design,and my tutor knows the designer of Beijing 2008 graphic design. The designer is a university professor of Central Art Academy of China in Beijing. And the final styles of grahpic design have not been published. We could wait.

20 Jan

The day after tommorrow

Thanks Wen!

But according to Beijing 2008's website there will be a press confrence on 20 for the live presentation of the uniforms for the staff and Volunteers of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

So do you think that they will unveil torchbearers in the same event, celebrating 200 days countdown to the Olympic Games?

Thank you once again.

SCOOP!! I just got sent the lyrics to the Official 2008 Torch Relay song:

Lucky clouds. Lucky clouds.

Will you sing for me?

Will you be a good cloud? Or a bad cloud?

But don't be on the day we run!!

C - L - O - U- D - S

"C" stands for Chinese Clouds

"L" stands for Lucky Chinese Clouds

"O" stands for Olympic Lucky Chinese Clouds

"U" stands for...uhmmm... universal

U know - Universal Olympic Lucky Chinese Clouds

"D" stands for Dum - dum-dum- dum

"S" stands for Sino, another word for Chinese Universal

Olympic Lucky Chinese Clouds!!!

Cloud! CLoud! Cloud!

Loud Clouds. Soft clouds.