News About Gap 2018 Bid

cfm Jeremie

Gap is one of the French cities interested in bidding for the 2018 Games (the other two being Grenoble and Annecy).

According the French daily sports newspaper L'Equipe, Gap has teamed up with Marseilles for its bid. Marseilles, which is 180 km from Gap, would host some Ice Events, provide accommodation for some of the Games clients and possibly the closing ceremony while some of the Torino 2006 venues could be used (Bob & Luge track).

My comments: not a chance. It's a spread out plan, the IOC will not buy the idea of having the Opening and Closing ceremonies in different cities, and the use of Torino 2006 venues, while making sense from an environmental point of view, isn't an attractive option.

If the CNOSF was to chose Gap, it would clearly mean that it is not serious pursuing the Games.

They're obviously insane. Have they not noticed that the IOC prefers new, galvanizing, compact bids nowadays (not to mention the bi-national connection with Turin's venues [which Salzburg was critiqued about]). Sochi to Krasnaya Polyana is only 25 miles. The distance of 100 miles between Gap & Marseille is completely absurd. The plan is absolutely crazy. The FOC would be foolish to pick them if they actually wanted to win. If it's just a ploy for a future Paris Summer Olympic bid, then it's perfect.

They're obviously insane. Have they not noticed that the IOC prefers new, galvanizing, compact bids nowadays (not to mention the bi-national connection with Turin's venues [which Salzburg was critiqued about]). Sochi to Krasnaya Polyana is only 25 miles. The distance of 100 miles between Gap & Marseille is completely absurd. The plan is absolutely crazy. The FOC would be foolish to pick them if they actually wanted to win. If it's just a ploy for a future Paris Summer Olympic bid, then it's perfect.

The distance between Vancouver is pretty far, same with Salt Lake and Torino. Plus Geneva and Munich's plans include long distances.

That was precisely the sense of my post.

To tell the truth, I don't think Gap will be chosen by the French NOC. Henri Serandour, CNOSF President has strongly hinted he was behind Grenoble.

Anyhow I don't think any of the three French cities would stand much chance.

The distance between Vancouver is pretty far, same with Salt Lake and Torino. Plus Geneva and Munich's plans include long distances.

Not on the same scale.

I am also far from convinced by what we have heard about Geneva's plan.

Gap's proposal is still twice the distance than any of the ones you mentioned.

Somehow Gap must think that since the last 2 Winter Games were awarded to coastal cities with a gateway to the mountains that they should try & do the same by including Marseille, but that's way too far.

I read on gap-2018.fr that each competition and training venues will are in only 30 miles around Gap. Marseille is only use for airport and TGV like Oslo for Lillehammer. The Turin venues are really near and it's not a bi- national project but only a contract for bobsleigh.I think that the french president will choise this project to adress a message to the world about environmental sustainability.

I read on gap-2018.fr that each competition and training venues will are in only 30 miles around Gap. Marseille is only use for airport and TGV like Oslo for Lillehammer. The Turin venues are really near and it's not a bi- national project but only a contract for bobsleigh.I think that the french president will choise this project to adress a message to the world about environmental sustainability.

Well, Marseille's mayor is the one who stated that Marseille could host some ice events...

Well, Marseille's mayor is the one who stated that Marseille could host some ice events...

in french! je crois que le maire de marseille ne sait pas vraiment quoi faire de son tout nouveau palais de la glace...alors Mais il m'a semblé lire que gap n'envisageait à marseille qu'une cérémonie de clotûre dans le but d'éviter de construire un équipement inutile et non écologique

Archived