Baku In Pictures

Galandar

I am glad to present you the capital of Azerbaijan. For those who think Baku is the weakest bid it will be an interesting acquaintance. See Baku in these photos. Some picture collections of Baku:

Walking in Baku - http://day.az/news/society/94657.html

Baku at Night 1 - http://day.az/news/society/86158.html

Baku at Night 2 - http://day.az/news/society/99016.html

New Year in Baku - http://day.az/news/society/102771.html

Girls of Baku - http://day.az/news/society/94538.html

And how am I suppose to be mesmerised by this ? I still Baku is the weakest bid no matter how many photos you spam here .

Rio had a beauty harbour but were they shortlisted for 2012 ? I don'tr think so.

Hey, i am not spamming. I am trying to present Baku here in order to make people know what is Baku like. Most of the applicant cities for 2016 are famous and don't need in presentations here. So, If you neither like Baku nor want to see its pictures, try to skip these threads. Good Luck!

Baku 3016.

Seriously if these are the best photos you can post on Baku im somewhat shocked they're actually bidding. Do we have another Havana on our hands? Or Havana's little sister.

hahahahaa

look like a peaceful city...

Baku 3016.

Seriously if these are the best photos you can post on Baku im somewhat shocked they're actually bidding. Do we have another Havana on our hands? Or Havana's little sister.

Of course you don't have another Havana. At least Baku is trying! ;)

What did Havana and Cuba for that matter do for it's previous attempted bids? Send their proposals by fax to the IOC. Looked like something that was merely typed up on a typewriter! :P Upgrading the Pan American stadium to 60,000? Eh, they'd need more convincing if they would ever make the application cut.

Well that's my thoughts. :)

I don't see anything wrong with Baku photos; It's a beautiful looking city , still, can not be compared with those big nations' cities bidding for the Olympic. Well, I don't have much to say yet.

Its a shame to say but i dont think that Baku will make the shortlist

It seems like a nice city but against the other candidates it is no where compared to these cities

I think that Baku and Prague will not make it to the final 5

"I think that Baku and Prague will not make it to the 'final 5'."

I seriously doubt that there'll be 5 cities this time around. At most, it'll be 4. Baku & Prague seem to be definitely out. And Rio & Doha could be the "wild card" cities, but both of them are not gonna make it through. It's either gonna be one or the other, & that's if the Evaluation Board decides to include a wild card city. Otherwise, we're just only gonna have the 3 strongest technical bids on the ballot, which wouldn't be that surprising either.

"I think that Baku and Prague will not make it to the 'final 5'."

I seriously doubt that there'll be 5 cities this time around. At most, it'll be 4. Baku & Prague seem to be definitely out. And Rio & Doha could be the "wild card" cities, but both of them are not gonna make it through. It's either gonna be one or the other, & that's if the Evaluation Board decides to include a wild card city. Otherwise, we're just only gonna have the 3 strongest technical bids on the ballot, which wouldn't be that surprising either.

It's not a matter of choosing a "wild card", but of where the IOC Executive Board decides to put the cut-off mark. Anything above is through, anything below is out.

I'd guess five (but who knows, anything could happen). The ironic thing is, I would say Rio has a better chance of winning it than Doha but less chance of making the short list score cut. While Doha probably has a better chance of scoring higher on the evaluation scores, and thus making the cut, but less chance of winning.

It's not a matter of choosing a "wild card", but of where the IOC Executive Board decides to put the cut-off mark. Anything above is through, anything below is out.

I'd guess five (but who knows, anything could happen). The ironic thing is, I would say Rio has a better chance of winning it than Doha but less chance of making the short list score cut. While Doha probably has a better chance of scoring higher on the evaluation scores, and thus making the cut, but less chance of winning.

Its a tricky one. Tokyo and Chicago are in. I dont think Madrids plan is any better than Doha's but they'll make it...the final spot (yes, i think there will be 4) is tricky. Will the IOC favour Rio because it is more "popular" and "capable" in a sense, or will they go for the more technically sound bid with less support thats less "popular"

i'd like to see it in this order.

1. Tokyo, Japan

2. Chicago, United State

3. Doha, Qatar

4. Madrid, Spain

the final spot (yes, i think there will be 4) is tricky. Will the IOC favour Rio because it is more "popular" and "capable" in a sense, or will they go for the more technically sound bid with less support thats less "popular"

As I said, though, it may not be that easy. It depends on the scores they get given. They chop it off at a certain point. They can't allow one through that goes under their cut-off score at the expense of one that was above.

Yes, you're right, it would depend on where the cut-off mark gets made, but I used "wild card" because the cut-off can be manipulated in any way the Executive Board sees fit. Like in the 2008 case, where the cut-off was made where Istanbul "straddled" the benchmark so they can be included. So it's gonna be interesting to see how they'll manipulate the 2016 short-list, in favor of Rio or Doha.

Yes, you're right, it would depend on where the cut-off mark gets made, but I used "wild card" because the cut-off can be manipulated in any way the Executive Board sees fit. Like in the 2008 case, where the cut-off was made where Istanbul "straddled" the benchmark so they can be included. So it's gonna be interesting to see how they'll manipulate the 2016 short-list, in favor of Rio or Doha.

If there's going to be any manipulation as expressed here by you, only the bigger countries have a priority to be seen influencial. I think RIO has a momentum of popularity in this bid than any.

1. RIO --- certainly is more with reasonable commitment and popularity despite being in the southern hemisphere

2. Chicago--- with USA infrastruture it well stand in second position

3. Tokyo --- Advance technology doesn't really mean tecnical know-how and Asia can host on two consecutive round put it on third position.

4. Madird--- Madrid for trying in the last editio makes it gain favour in the fourth position.

These are the most promising four on the list. Doha, Prague and Baku are need to work harder to get above these ones.

If there's going to be any manipulation as expressed here by you, only the bigger countries have a priority to be seen influencial. I think RIO has a momentum of popularity in this bid than any.

1. RIO --- certainly is more with reasonable commitment and popularity despite being in the southern hemisphere

2. Chicago--- with USA infrastruture it well stand in second position

3. Tokyo --- Advance technology doesn't really mean tecnical know-how and Asia can host on two consecutive round put it on third position.

4. Madird--- Madrid for trying in the last editio makes it gain favour in the fourth position.

These are the most promising four on the list. Doha, Prague and Baku are need to work harder to get above these ones.

I'd agree on that list. I still feel Doha won't be shortlisted. When was the last time a city with less that a million was shortlisted ?

Tokyo, Chicago and Madrid are in (I suggest that those who suggest that Madrid technical plan is inferior to Doha's to study carefully the questionnaire...).

Doha will make the shortlist IF it can convince the IOC:

• the proposed period for the Games is suitable (yea, it has been done before but it remains that the Games in October will conflict with the sports season)
  • sufficient accommodation will be built by Games time (which will be challenging)
  • the marketing plan (including ticketing) is doable

Rio is the main question mark for me. The transportation plan seems more realistic than the one proposed for 2012 and all the givernment backing is here. Could make the shortlist.

I see either a 3-city or 5-city shortlist (I think Rio and Doha should score around the same category, with Doha probably slightly ahead of Rio, so if the IOC peaks one, I fail to see how it could not pick the other one).

Tokyo, Chicago and Madrid are in (I suggest that those who suggest that Madrid technical plan is inferior to Doha's to study carefully the questionnaire...).

Doha will make the shortlist IF it can convince the IOC:

• the proposed period for the Games is suitable (yea, it has been done before but it remains that the Games in October will conflict with the sports season)
  • sufficient accommodation will be built by Games time (which will be challenging)
  • the marketing plan (including ticketing) is doable

Rio is the main question mark for me. The transportation plan seems more realistic than the one proposed for 2012 and all the givernment backing is here. Could make the shortlist.

I see either a 3-city or 5-city shortlist (I think Rio and Doha should score around the same category, with Doha probably slightly ahead of Rio, so if the IOC peaks one, I fail to see how it could not pick the other one).

Do you think the IOC would make a 6-city shortlist? I mean just to accomodate Doha and Rio, so that Rio would not be the only sentimental bid remaining?

About Baku pics: A regular city. Nothing special. And the scenery seems to be so common.

Well, this bid race is not choosing the most beautfulll postcard...

Onthe contrary, a beautiful postcard add to the beauty of the marketing cos I would buy an ugly one. It is a paraphenalia!

About Baku pics: A regular city. Nothing special. And the scenery seems to be so common.

Well, this bid race is not choosing the most beautfulll postcard...

Look, we re talking about 2016 and all cities have got nice projects for this Olympic games. :rolleyes:

I think even Baku is the freshman in this contest, but still is nice one.

Archived