The ceremonial big dragon I saw on youtube didn't enter into the cave where the fire rather lighting flashed atleast once but just made a turn-around at the center of the stadium. I really enjoyed watching the drumming, it was a fantastic dislay. The children song was absolutely melodious but they lacked coherence and their trainers did teach them how to move their hands in uniform very well.

All thesame, I thick the whole celeberation a pass mark! Atleast, they are doing it for the first time.

wha kinda crap is this, james? What r u talking about? NOTHING has publicly been unveiled or SHOWN about the BEIJING Aug 8 Olympic Opening (the subject of THIS THREAD) -- so whadahell are you blabbing about?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wha kinda crap is this, james? What r u talking about? NOTHING has publicly been unveiled or SHOWN about the BEIJING Aug 8 Olympic Opening (the subject of THIS THREAD) -- so whadahell are you blabbing about?

I only made reference to the 2007 special Olympic opening youtube ,Baron. I know what am talking about this time, BRO.

I guessing these things will be involved in the opening ,

*Lion Dances

*Red , lots of it

*Mo li hua , China's Nation flower - If some of you remembered in Athens there was this Chinese girl with a lantern , she sang about Mo li hua.

*China's Rich History is bound to play a role as well

I guessing these things will be involved in the opening ,

*Lion Dances

*Red , lots of it

*Mo li hua , China's Nation flower - If some of you remembered in Athens there was this Chinese girl with a lantern , she sang about Mo li hua.

*China's Rich History is bound to play a role as well

*Lion Dances -- too cliche.

*Red , lots of it -- they said they were going to be careful about this because "red" bleeds in color TV in case you haven't noticed. So, if there's TOO MUCH and it's the wrong shades of red, you are going to get HORRIBLE videos.

Actually, in today's SF Chronicle, there were 2 bits associated w/ the Ceremonial aspects of Beijing 2008:

(1) a new opera, imported from China, opened at the SF Opera House for 2 weeks. The costume deisgner will be doing the same chores for the OC. Here's a review:

Review: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4/DD62UENJP.DTL

and in one of the other articles, it tells of how the SF Chief of Police, Heather Fong, went to China for a workshop on security for the Torch Relay since San Francisco, as I had requested BOCOG, will be the only North American stop for the Beijing Torch Relay. Here's the bit on it:

Freedom of screech: The Chinese ambassador to the United States, Zhou Wenzhong, flew to San Francisco last week for a one-on-one meeting with Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Seems the ever image-conscious People's Republic is worried about groups such as Falun Gong or the Free Tibet forces disrupting the parade of the Olympic torch when it comes to the city in April.

Police Chief Heather Fong has flown to China for briefings, and last week the mayor's office dispatched event coordinator Martha Cohen to Beijing as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this article in a australian website. Hard to believe.

Success with Beijing rain prevention

AAP - January 31, 2008, 6:06 am

Beijing has successfully managed to stop light rainfall in experiments aimed at guaranteeing a dry opening ceremony at August's Olympic Games, officials said.

With no roof on the showpiece Bird's Nest stadium, the Beijing Meteorological Bureau has been charged with developing methods of preventing wet weather spoiling what promises to be a spectacular start to the Games on the evening of August 8.

"Our experiments with rain mitigation have been aimed at light rain," Zhang Qian, head of weather manipulation at the bureau, told a news conference.

"With heavy rain it is more difficult. The results with light rain have been satisfactory."

Qian said different strategies were used to stop rain on different types of clouds, but both had proved not to harm the environment.

"For cold clouds below zero degrees (Celcius), we use a coolant made from liquid nitrogen to increase the number of droplets while decreasing their mean size," she added.

"As a result, the smaller droplets are less likely to fall and precipitation can be reduced.

"For clouds above zero degrees we use the seeding agent silver iodide to accelerate the droplets' collision and coalescence, producing a downdraft which suppresses the formation of clouds."

China has long used weather manipulation to increase rainfall in the parched north of the country, firing seeding agents into the clouds using anti-aircraft guns.

This method might also be used to prevent wet weather at the stadium by inducing the rain to fall before it reaches the target area, said Wang Yubin, deputy chief engineer at the bureau.

"Rain mitigation is a very complex process, though," he added.

The weather bureau is also working hard on preparing for one of the pre-Games highlights, the ascent of the Olympic torch to the top of Mount Everest.

"We will have very detailed forecasts," Wang added. "We will be able to tell the organisers: the winds are too strong, you cannot do it on this day, or, you can do it on this day."</

Seriously, they did monkey around with the weather around Beijing last August. As near as I can tell, they did their cloud-seeding, rain-dancing, or whatever Chinese voodoo they came up with on approaching rain clouds (normal in Beijing summer) while the clouds were still outside the central city. Which caused the clouds to release their rain in a spot of the government's choosing, rather than Mother Nature's. We could tell when they were doing this, as those were times we had almost unheard-of clear blue skies in August (the rain washed away dust and other factory and airborne pollutants before they could arrive at the central city and choke up the place as per usual). Scary if you think about it too long.

Just to see the work of Han Chunqui on dress design, here are pics of Farewell my Concubine (from the link posted previously at this thread: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4/DD62UENJP.DTL )

dd_farwell1098.jpg

dd_farwell1284.jpg

dd_farwell1208.jpg

I don't think we will see some dancers dressed only at colors to form logos and figures on the field like Barcelona and Atlanta. As i can see this will be a little abstract like Athens, but it will include a little more of Broadway style to it.

Better or worst than 2004, it will surely be something interesting, and i'm looking for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little bit about the Pyrotechnics for Beijing 2008 ceremonies.

Seems like the guy designing the pyrotechnics is Cai Guo-Qiang. He will be assisted by *Fireworks by Grucci*, who also did the Salt Lake 2002 Pyro displays.

The guy appears to be into pyro-art.

I heard something about this guy. He did some weird fireworks which created a black rainbow over the skies (also he did one during the night, but in colors). Some videos of it:

2002_rainbow_02.jpg

According with the news i have read, i confirm it. He is the responsable of the special effects on both opening and closing ceremonies. Altought this is not very recently, looks like Zhang Yimou already had him on his deck arround 2006.

To end some confussions about the creative team for the olympic ceremonies, i will post a link from the Beijing 2008 website, with all the most important names involved (incluiding Cai GuoQiang)

http://en.beijing2008.cn/culture/ceremonies/n214143744.shtml

Remember though that all this 'fireworks spectacular' show will be SEVERELY limited to the live stadium audience on 08/08/08. There will be that doughnut space in the sky on which to paint their fireworks show. I think many spectacular pyro effects will be enjoyed by those outside.

Zhang Yimou is a director that like using colours. So i think many beautiful Chinese traditonal colours will be used in Opening Ceremony.

here are some pix of his big shows and ceremonies.

i think from these pix,we will imagine the opening ceremony.

Impression Of San-jie LIU (a big visual music show) in Guilin China

20075251547471268.jpg

yxlsj.jpg

2007061110315565341.jpg

2007102721578164.jpg

200711822216845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and I'm back!

Yes, my friends the Olympic Hymn will be in Chinese during the opening ceremony. And I have good news to you about that!^_^

Singers are giving voice to the Chinese version of the Olympic hymn. A multinational choir performed the song for the very first time at the Beijing Dongyuan theater.

Source: CCTV 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpacLlFpw_8

There is a hint here that the performance of the anthem at the OC will be the same pitch as the recordings of the anthem used in Nagano (Japanese) and Athens (Greek).

Hello and I'm back!

Yes, my friends the Olympic Hymn will be in Chinese during the opening ceremony. And I have good news to you about that!^_^

Singers are giving voice to the Chinese version of the Olympic hymn. A multinational choir performed the song for the very first time at the Beijing Dongyuan theater.

Source: CCTV 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpacLlFpw_8

There is a hint here that the performance of the anthem at the OC will be the same pitch as the recordings of the anthem used in Nagano (Japanese) and Athens (Greek).

Thanks a lot for this information. But I doubt that the version heard in the clip will be exactly the same as in the opening ceremony. They'll certainly have a much larger choir perform the anthem -- and it looks as if this choir of overseas Chinese is only part of a promotional act for the run-up to the Olympics.

I think it would be a good idea for the Olympic hymn to always be performed im Greek.

It would be a nice touch and honour for the birthplace of the Games - and to be honest, the anthem often sounds quite stupid if performed in various languages. I think they can get away with English, but the Japanese version at Nagano sounded nymph like, not overly Olympian.

I think it would be a good idea for the Olympic hymn to always be performed im Greek.

It would be a nice touch and honour for the birthplace of the Games - and to be honest, the anthem often sounds quite stupid if performed in various languages. I think they can get away with English, but the Japanese version at Nagano sounded nymph like, not overly Olympian.

Agreed. After all, in each Ceremony there is/will be an original song (a Welcome to ____ song, or an "Amigos Para Siempre'-type song at Closing) which will be in the host's language. But for universaility and tradition's sakes, the Olympic Hymn should stay in Greek (and maybe a passage or 2 in English if in an English-speaking country). Remember, Chinese/Japanese music (& sounds) are based on the pentatonic (5-note) scale. Western music is based on the octave. So the sounds, syllabic-phrasing and accentuation are quite different -- and don't always match.

[When I perform, I try to find French, Italian or Spanish lyrics to complement the popular English/American song that I do. Presently, I'm working on "Eternally" by Charlie Chaplin -- and I knew that it would sound good or appropriate in Italian as well. And sure enough, there are extant Italian lyrics to it (and Rei here helped me thresh them out). I am now looking for the French lyrics, if any, to "Wish Upon a Star." Hint, hint. ]

Edited by baron-pierreIV

FYI, some comments from Zhang about the upcoming ceremonies:

By Liu Zhen

BEIJING, March 12 Reuters - Zhang Yimou, the director of the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics, is struggling to fit 5,000 years of Chinese culture into 50 minutes and his biggest fear is wet weather on August 8.

China's top film director is responsible for what is expected to be a lavish ceremony to open the Games at the ``Bird's Nest'' National Stadium, which is open to the elements after plans for a retractable roof were scrapped as a cost-cutting measure.

Although contingency plans for various kinds of bad weather had been prepared, Zhang said rain on the day of the ceremony would be a nightmare for him.

``Rain is the number one concern,'' he told a news conference on the sidelines of the annual session of China's parliament.

``Obviously we hope God will bless us and give us good weather.''

``If it rains it must be a lower grade performance,'' he added. ``Some performances in the air or some high tech and mechanical arrangements will have to be cancelled for safety reasons.''

Zhang said he was struggling to decide what to keep and what to leave out of the much-anticipated ceremony.

``It is absolutely impossible to display the culture of our 5,000-year history,'' he said, adding that due to the time limit the ideas would simplified so they were understandable to foreigners and the young.

More than 10,000 performers would take part in the spectacular show at the August 8 opening ceremony. Zhang said his favourite colour, red, would figure prominently.

The 50-minute performance would include a display of the faces of 10,000 children from five continents, he added.

``When you see the smiling faces of the children you will be very touched,'' said Zhang on the sidelines of a meeting by an advisory body to China's annual parliament.

Zhang reiterated that Steven Spielberg's withdrawal from the artistic team over China's policy on the conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan was ``a pity'' but would have no impact on the quality of the performance.

Rehearsals involving more than 10,000 performers were already taking place in secret in several places in suburban Beijing, he said.

Zhang, who was nominated for an Oscar for his film Raise the Red Lantern, laughed when asked about participants having to sign contracts with draconian confidentiality clauses.

``In terms of seven-year prison sentence for leaks, I've no idea,'' he said ``I've never heard of that ... who would sentence whom? Can the International Olympic Committee send people to prison?''

Edited by Sir Roltel
Of course.

And it's probably just a rehearsal for the Sandstorm sequence in the Opening Ceremony.

I mean Sydney had the Wildbrush Fire sequence, didn't they? :o

Ok, accept the Sandstorm sequence. To the issue of the cauldron!

I think it should be placed INSIDE. Its good for a enclosed stadium.

The stadium in Busan (Korea) is enclosed like the Bird's Nest. In my opinion, this is how the Bird's Nest would look on TV on the opening and closing ceremonies:

Clip: 2002 Asian Games Opening and Closing Ceremony (Closing Ceremony begins at 4:26 on clip 1)

Anyone guess which parts are similar to the Seoul Olympic ceremonies?

As for the flame lighting, how did that Busan flame reach the cauldron? The broadcast did not show it!