Y Black Africa Will Never Get An Olympics

In addition to all the sobering news from Pakistan, we also have really distressing reports from Nairobi, Kenya AND.... Port Hartcourt, NIGERIA. The (black) Africans are hacking and burning themselves again. When will it all end?

Is it any wonder that the Republic of South Africa may be the ONLY hope of this blighted continent to host any civilized international show of brotha/sistahood?

Discuss.

Ouch! If only there oil there, the USA would be there in 5 minutes to help end all of ther problems! lol

Well, there is OIL in Nigeria. (As a matter of fact, those attacks in Port Hartcourt are in Nigeria's oilfields.)

(But here's an interesting fact though -- I learned from JEOPARDY! last night. The US imports most of its oil from: 1. Canada; 2. Russia; and 3. Mexico. #'s 1 and #3 make sense since they are the US' immediate neighbors. I think the loud-mouth Chavez's Venezuela is like #5. Anyway, that's not the point of this thread.)

I agree with ur previous comments.

How can these countries host an Olympic Games, when there economies and political system can collapse at any time. Kenya in my opinion was one of the countries i thought to be more stable and at a really low risk of anything like this (seems not)

I do think that it will be South Africa or Egypt (at a push) maybe Morocco that will be the first to host an Olympic Games in Africa.

It is a shame because if they could just stop the corruption then there countries would be safer places.

I agree with ur previous comments.

How can these countries host an Olympic Games, when there economies and political system can collapse at any time. Kenya in my opinion was one of the countries i thought to be more stable and at a really low risk of anything like this (seems not)

I do think that it will be South Africa or Egypt (at a push) maybe Morocco that will be the first to host an Olympic Games in Africa.

It is a shame because if they could just stop the corruption then there countries would be safer places.

It's more than just economics and corruption. In anything as heated and frenzied as a sports competition (you know in Latin American countries, they've held soccer matches IN isolation for fear of violence), what more in a high profile event like an Olympics where say, in boxing, one member from one tribe is facing a rival tribesman -- what are the chances of the stadium or the city erupting in a bloodbath because of all those tribal loyalties. I know they've had their All Africa meets, but come an Olympics, one just never knows if all those all old, pent-up ethnic feelings will all bubble up to the surface esepcially because the world's eye is on that city at that moment.

It's just the volatility of the situation that would make me nervous. I don't think the IOC would want to play with fire.

Do you know one thing I like about the developed countries is that they are the best word painters with bad remarks when painting for Africa.

Thank God I still live in the country that seems to be in war in the eyes of those who haven't even been there. The real problem here in Africa is poverty and corruption.

Ethnic rivalry has nothing to do with an Olympic here excepting when the problem is coming from religion side of things.

I like big mouths like you guys, anyway, non of those African countries mentioned by you guys are safer than Nigeria. We can easily point to terrorism in some and high crime rate in the others.So, what are you guys talking about?

I know Nigeria will host the games one day,the day when the vision is meant to fulfill the brotherhood for the development of Africa so that people like you won't trouble my brain again with sad talks.

Am done with this. Maybe not!

(But here's an interesting fact though -- I learned from JEOPARDY! last night. The US imports most of its oil from: 1. Canada; 2. Russia; and 3. Mexico. #'s 1 and #3 make sense since they are the US' immediate neighbors. I think the loud-mouth Chavez's Venezuela is like #5. Anyway, that's not the point of this thread.)

Wow! That I didn't know. Was Saudi Arabia #4?

I feel like cry. I feel like shouting. I feel like cursing. I feel like hating Africa. But, not!

Nigeria, I pray to the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY with his endless power to assist us to have the minds to change cos change will be the only way out of this GOD forsaken trouble with Africa.

Deos anybody have a solution here so that Nigeria can host the Olympic?

James, I know the Baron does tend to put things in a manner that some of us may find a tad distasteful, but surely you have to recognise that there is some validity to what he is saying. Current events in Kenya and abductions in Nigeria during the Glasgow v Abuja race, among other things, do not help the appearance of Africa as a whole to the outside world. And no governing body with any sense is going to give the right to host their events to countries that are politically unstable. I'm afraid that Africa's best bet of hosting an Olympics is South Africa not only now, but for the foreseeable future as well. That isn't prejudice. That's common sense.

James, I know the Baron does tend to put things in a manner that some of us may find a tad distasteful, but surely you have to recognise that there is some validity to what he is saying. Current events in Kenya and abductions in Nigeria during the Glasgow v Abuja race, among other things, do not help the appearance of Africa as a whole to the outside world. And no governing body with any sense is going to give the right to host their events to countries that are politically unstable. I'm afraid that Africa's best bet of hosting an Olympics is South Africa not only now, but for the foreseeable future as well. That isn't prejudice. That's common sense.

Common sense! Common sense you called that!?

South Africa is heavily crime infested. Giving the games to SA not Nigeria mean that you are bias ,Arwebb!

So, you don't even see a blinking future in Nigeria!? you guys are making my day for the new year!

If that is the way you are going to react, then quite frankly there is little or no point reasoning with you. Saying that there is a crime problem in South Africa, quite rightly from everything I've read on the subject over time, is very, very different from going to a country whose political institutions are unstable. If you had the choice of who hosted the Olympics between Cape Town and Nairobi, for example, who would you honestly choose in the current climate?

If that is the way you are going to react, then quite frankly there is little or no point reasoning with you. Saying that there is a crime problem in South Africa, quite rightly from everything I've read on the subject over time, is very, very different from going to a country whose political institutions are unstable. If you had the choice of who hosted the Olympics between Cape Town and Nairobi, for example, who would you honestly choose in the current climate?

I know it's SA but, the even unforeseable word you used baffled me to quickly take a refuge in sentiment.

The violence in Kenya now has an Olympic connection:

NAIROBI, Jan 2, 2008 (AFP) - Lucas Sang, a member of the Kenyan 4 x 400m relay quartet at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, became a victim of the countrywide riots when he was hacked to death at his hometown of Eldoret on Tuesday, his colleague said.

Sang, who retired to farming after quitting the track, was killed as he walked home in this western Kenyan town of Eldoret where over 35 people were burned alive inside a church on the same day.

``He was walking home on foot to his house at Kimumu when he was attacked,'' his business partner and former World 10,000m champion Moses Tanui told AFP on Thursday.

The normally stable east African country has been swept by bloodshed and riots, largely on tribal lines, since fiercely disputed elections last Thursday after which opposition leader Raila Odinga accused President Mwai Kibaki of cheating his way back into office.

Having started as a 400m runner, Sang later switched to the 800m where he was more at home but due to the fierce competition, he opted to become a pacemaker for fellow Kenyan and foreign athletes before retiring to successful farming in Eldoret.

Sang was among 316 people known Wednesday to have been killed in escalating violence since the election, which has led to international diplomatic efforts to mediate and end the crisis.

Very sad to see. I have spent time in Kenya, and while incredibly poor, it still seemed stable-ish.

So are you saying you would choose South Africa or not?

Crime in South Africa is a significant problem. However Cape Town as a city welcomes 1.4 million international tourists annually and this figure is only this high because crime is neighbourhood orientated in Cape Town with 80%+ crime taking place in 2/3 areas some distance from the Central City and some suburbs, with crime levels in the central city and a 10km radius on par with some major cities in the US and abroad.

I think other African cities outside RSA need to host events as a means to prove that they have the ability regardless of the situation in that country. With all the crime issues in RSA, it successfully hosted the Rugby world cup, cricket world and continues to successfully host events across the country, rather than siting back and not hosting events, afraid that crime would impact on the event.

I'd like Abuja to host the commies in 2018, Cape Town the OG in 2020 and perhaps other African cities hosting the FINA World Champs, IAAF World Champs and significant sporting events. With a concerted effort in the next 25 years, an African country or city outside of RSA might become a reasonable contender to host the Olympic Games. Cairo and rapidly developing north African countries would certainly feature.

_

Crime in South Africa is a significant problem. However Cape Town as a city welcomes 1.4 million international tourists annually and this figure is only this high because crime is neighbourhood orientated in Cape Town with 80%+ crime taking place in 2/3 areas some distance from the Central City and some suburbs, with crime levels in the central city and a 10km radius on par with some major cities in the US and abroad.

I think other African cities outside RSA need to host events as a means to prove that they have the ability regardless of the situation in that country. With all the crime issues in RSA, it successfully hosted the Rugby world cup, cricket world and continues to successfully host events across the country, rather than siting back and not hosting events, afraid that crime would impact on the event.

I'd like Abuja to host the commies in 2018, Cape Town the OG in 2020 and perhaps other African cities hosting the FINA World Champs, IAAF World Champs and significant sporting events. With a concerted effort in the next 25 years, an African country or city outside of RSA might become a reasonable contender to host the Olympic Games. Cairo and rapidly developing north African countries would certainly feature.

_

I actually say figures that show a substantial variation in crime rates throughout South Africa, with the highest rates in townships and outside the main centers. So its not necessarily true that South Africa is a crime invested country, it just suffers severely from the poverty paradox.

I feel like cry. I feel like shouting. I feel like cursing. I feel like hating Africa. But, not!

Nigeria, I pray to the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY with his endless power to assist us to have the minds to change cos change will be the only way out of this GOD forsaken trouble with Africa.

Deos anybody have a solution here so that Nigeria can host the Olympic?

My my - you are a scary little rabbit!

Here is my tip - move from Nigeria to somewhere civilized! Maybe London or if you need to be with the other religious nutters I suggest Rome.

Unless you bulldoze Nigeria and build something worth giving a **** about I fear you will be constantly disappointed.

As for an African Olympics - I have been to Tunisia. Needless to say I am happy for the Games to stay north of the Mediterranean!!

My my - you are a scary little rabbit!

Here is my tip - move from Nigeria to somewhere civilized! Maybe London or if you need to be with the other religious nutters I suggest Rome.

Unless you bulldoze Nigeria and build something worth giving a **** about I fear you will be constantly disappointed.

As for an African Olympics - I have been to Tunisia. Needless to say I am happy for the Games to stay north of the Mediterranean!!

Go and sleep woman. You need a rest!

Are speaking in tongue or putting you tongue in your cheek? Nigeria is worth hosting an Olympic and I don't give a damn about the north of Mediterranea you have been to. Nigeria is my country and I beleive in its future.

L'homme blanc maintenant l'homme noir fait, toute cette négativité noire, les moutons noirs et tous ce non-sens. Le NOIR EST BEAU BÉBÉ, vous tout meilleur reconnaissent. Et quand a fait l'Afrique Du sud deviennent un pays blanc, vous toute la parole l'Africain que noir ne peut pas accueillir les Jeux Olympiques, mais puis vont sur environ le Cap accueillant, j'a pensé cela qui la chose de ségrégation était pour maintenir la MAJORITÉ noire faite. L'Africain noir accueillera quand l'homme blanc perd l'intérêt en nous réduisant, aucune attente, qui n'est pas exacte. L'Afrique noire accueillera quand la prise noire avide et puissance-affamée d'homme un bateau aux USA et part du gouvernement raisonnable et bon ceux derrière. La nation noire toujours principale est dans l'agitation en raison de l'HOMME NOIR, pas le blanc. L'homme blanc quitté l'Afrique Du sud il y a 15 ans, et elle accueille la tasse du monde dans 2, mais l'homme blanc à gauche le Congo, le Nigéria, le Mali, le Sénégal, le Kenya, la Tanzanie et la Somalie 40 à 60 ans il y a et eux sont maintenant foutus dans la merde puis jamais. L'homme blanc n'est jamais été en Ethiopie et elle a baisé vers le haut aussi. Ainsi l'homme blanc n'est pas fautif ici, l'homme noir est, et l'homme noir meilleur reconnaissent. L'homme noir a pris ce pistolet, l'homme noir hors de l'argent avant des personnes, l'homme noir n'a pas appris des erreurs précédentes, l'homme noir a été prolongé la main de l'amitié et l'homme noir l'a giflée loin. L'homme noir a causé le Rwanda, pas l'homme blanc, pourquoi devrait être foutent dans la merde et blâment l'homme blanc, foutent dans la merde et disent l'homme blanc de pousser leur aide vers le haut de leur âne et puis de crier à l'homme blanc pour ne pas nous sauver de nous-mêmes. L'homme noir est fautif pour l'Afrique, personne d'autre et jusqu'à l'homme noir réalise leur folie, l'homme blanc ne va pas la donner ce que l'homme blanc a, n'importe ce que.

Archived